Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Social anxiety but not really?

- Tue, 24 Mar 2020 11:32:58 EST rtRi9jRZ No.56018
File: 1585063978999.jpg -(80256B / 78.38KB, 768x512) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Social anxiety but not really?
Hi /med/. I am trying to find information on this annoying af thing that I do, but I'm having a hard time. I am an introvert who regularly has issues (and by issues, I mean I completely freak out and ruin the vibes) suddenly dealing with a large group of people all at once, even if I have time to prepare. It's worse when I only know one or two people, but it's happened before when I do know everyone.

It's not social anxiety proper, because my concern is not that they won't like me or whatever. It's purely a social processing overload. This has most frequently happened in my personal life, but I have had moments at work where I've been forced to continue interacting with customers to the point that the only time I get away from it is just enough to go self-injure in the kitchen for a second.

This makes me sound like way more of a wreck than I am - I'm medicated for other shit (depression and anxiety; I currently take 100mg quetiapine and 300mg bupropion 24-hr release) so I'm able to hold down a cushy bullshit full-time job, I can afford my own place, I pay all my bills on time, etc. Like on paper, my life is in order. And in smaller amounts or in my current work setting, I'm fine with meeting new people. It's just when it reaches this tipping point of "oh shit, I have to process all of these types of data for how many fucking people???"

That said, the "other shit" that I'm medicated for has changed over the years. I mention it here in case it's actually a symptom of whatever is causing these social processing meltdowns. It used to be hardcore depression, then it morphed to more of an anxiety. Nowadays the anxiety is a lot more prevalent than the depression.

Am I just literally enthusiastic?
>>
Wesley Brozzlewater - Tue, 24 Mar 2020 11:34:11 EST rtRi9jRZ No.56019 Reply
>>56018
Oh wow that cat planet - I mean to ask whether I am literally on the spectrum, as it were.
>>
Ernest Clipperstone - Wed, 25 Mar 2020 17:13:02 EST 4HxMAiR+ No.56020 Reply
>>56018

The first thing I think when I read this is "oh this person must be enthusiastic!"
So if you want to take medical advice from a basement dweller on a drug board, which I guess you do, then there you go.
>>
Simon Haffingway - Thu, 26 Mar 2020 20:53:45 EST FonZKC1l No.56021 Reply
your social skills are very minimal. like any skill this can be improved through tenacious effort, which can include methodical practice and even coaching
>>
Hedda Sottingdock - Thu, 26 Mar 2020 22:53:52 EST rtRi9jRZ No.56022 Reply
>>56020
Well, I'm also on a drug board, so I am at a certain level of the dregs of society myself. Thanks for the confirmation though.

>>56021
It's not my social skills, per se. I'm fine in conversation, I don't have any issues talking to people, making presentations, running training sessions, etc. This whole thing is about the amount of data processing that apparently overwhelms my brain and makes it short-circuit.
>>
Simon Haffingway - Fri, 27 Mar 2020 12:12:51 EST FonZKC1l No.56024 Reply
>>56022

no, it is entirely within the realm of social skills. "data processing what is happening in a large group" is a social skill. perhaps you should stop trying to process so much and try to go with the flow more
>>
Jarvis Hobbercocke - Sat, 28 Mar 2020 14:13:19 EST rtRi9jRZ No.56027 Reply
>>56024
....thanks for the confirmation that I'm on the spectrum.
>>
Edward Claydale - Tue, 31 Mar 2020 15:03:25 EST FonZKC1l No.56032 Reply
>>56027

so what? you can still improve from your current state
>>
Jarvis Cenningcocke - Fri, 29 May 2020 05:06:26 EST TSdOYiYs No.56071 Reply
1590743186597.jpg -(50715B / 49.53KB, 500x685) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>56018
You're a nerd. The spectrum is made-up. They made it in 1993, based solely on the supposed work of one Nazi children's psychiatrist from 1940s WW2 Austria, who said some of the kids in his Nazi children's psychiatric hospital talked too much, and he used the word "enthusiasmus" to describe it, and no psychiatrist is ever wrong about anything, so once his work was "re-discovered" in the 80s, by one college student, the psychiatric industry had to integrate this new use of the word into modern American WHO-mandated psychiatry system.

That is the origin of "the spectrum".

There's zero biological evidence that selectively talking too much and being an oversensitive geek have any tangible connection at all with proper enthusiasm, where people are unable to use language.

It's a purely ideological connection.

Neurotic nerds and socially awkward people with self-reported quirky hang-ups are one of the main customer bases for psychiatrists, outside of the retarded community. The word enthusiasm being able to be applied to any of them interchangeably, with only a retardation specifier to separate them, is both a coding and billing time-saver and a hilarious in-joke within the field.

Αutism Speaks is a parody organization, started by the former head of NBC.
User is currently banned from all boards
>>
Molly Brollerman - Fri, 07 Aug 2020 00:10:10 EST CXteAYzV No.56102 Reply
1596773410607.jpg -(108769B / 106.22KB, 570x787) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>56018
Spectrum life is becoming more and more common it is genetically being more dominant
Unfortunately the old gen is still alive and we have all of their slave mentality of "just interact is nothing bad" even when after a few hours feels as a crushing weight because communication is over stimulation
Soon enough though we will understand more And allow periods of small 3 min social breaks instead of cramming them into one big lunch break. Already in CA 2 tenmins are paid breaks so hopefully more states adopt this. Because when I've worked places that i cant break just to mentally cleanse I just won't last there. I'll get burnout and suddenly quit. Unfortunately most psyches these days are still old gen and if you aren't diagnosed when you're 4 it is like playing a game with them where they'll tell you three reasons you couldn't possibly be on the spectrum or downright ignore what you feel and tell you they've dxed you for adhd or bpd because there IS NO medicine for enthusiasm aside from Good old lady cannabis (sometimes) or a nice dark silent room with a heavy blanket on you to calm down mediate and actually process your feelings instead of what happens is excessive thinking which turns into social feedback loops of anxiety by being overly conscious

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.