420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread

Now Playing on /mtv/tube -

Theater by Baba Booey - Tue, 07 Nov 2017 21:24:44 EST ID:Zh/sUEXx No.390647 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1510107884732.jpg -(10242B / 10.00KB, 275x183) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 10242
I hear movie theaters are dying. What's the alternative?
>>
Leni Riefenstahl - Tue, 07 Nov 2017 21:28:36 EST ID:cPjUBYzJ No.390648 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Piracy.
>>
Bernardo Bertolucci - Tue, 07 Nov 2017 21:37:56 EST ID:8soux3Rt No.390650 Ignore Report Quick Reply
They're not dying, they're evolving. Movie theaters don't have the draw they used to have. Now theaters are turning more into an adult hangout. The most popular ones now seem to have full bars and don't exclusively show all the new garbage movies. They'll do specials where they show classics.

It's a good thing they're evolving. There will be less of them, but they will provide a better experience than sitting in a cramped room with 50 other people, having some dipshit kid kicking your chair and hearing a baby cry. Plus, way better seats.

Examples - Studio Movie Grill, Alamo Drafthouse. Both dope as fuck, and even though they're a lot nicer than AMC or Cinemark, the tickets are still around the same price because they make good money selling dope food and drinks.
>>
Freddy Kruger - Wed, 08 Nov 2017 00:17:32 EST ID:r8D6zVXH No.390652 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Theaters are now daycare centers or places for drunk 30-somethings to fill the void in their life.

Mostly because movies are terrible now.
>>
Klaatu - Wed, 08 Nov 2017 01:22:47 EST ID:OE4TP+32 No.390653 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I guess the traditional, buy a ticket and some popcorn style theatres are dying, but my girl and I love going to the VIP shows. It's basically our local chain movie theatre but now they serve alcohol and food (at least franchise pub quality) at their pre-show lounge or directly at your seat up until the movie starts. It's expensive, sure, but it's no more expensive than any other date night.
>>
Everett McGill - Wed, 08 Nov 2017 02:53:06 EST ID:NWJxYD9z No.390660 Ignore Report Quick Reply
They're not dying, they're pivoting. Audience numbers are gradually decreasing but profits are still rising because theater chains are investing in "luxury" renovations like reclining seats and other amenities like alcohol, "premium" food, and waiter service. They're slowly raising the price of tickets while offering less seats while concession food still remains retardedly expensive. If this pivot works out then eventually you'll see them knock down walls and basically combine two smaller screens into one big screen so they can sell more premium tickets to a single showing.
>>
ONERAIN11 - Wed, 08 Nov 2017 06:57:07 EST ID:wqqAv7C0 No.390675 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Movie with snacks and beer sound nice; bonus if the snack and beer are themed.
>http://weekendfoodescapes.blogspot.com/2017/11/redoak-boutique-beer-cafe-sydney-cbd.html
>>
Beldar Conehead - Wed, 08 Nov 2017 07:53:28 EST ID:hsWPD+dx No.390678 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>390647

They arent dying. When one of my local cinemas plays "classic" movies you literally cannot get a ticket. they are re-showing the godfather at my cinema, not only did you have to buy tickets on the internet but they were sold out in a day.
I went to go see Her in the cinema last year, just rocked up because pffft no one goes to the cinema anymore and the line was so big the usher was standing at the capacity line telling people they wouldnt get a seat but could wait around to see if one comes free. it was absolutely mental.

The thing that makes watching movies on netflix or torrent is if the movie is shit you can just click off and try another one, but when you go to the cinema, you're in for the long haul and it could totally ruin a date if you have to sit through some trash movie.
>>
Burt Banana - Fri, 10 Nov 2017 19:41:33 EST ID:ay4cP4Ma No.390826 Ignore Report Quick Reply
i put a like 7/8 foot projector screen in my living room and then just put my speakers on opposite ends of me to watch

it's a bit cramped/too big but you can lie down and enjoy it and it's better than the fuckin movie theater. only cost the projector + like $50 for the screen
>>
Xander Crews - Wed, 15 Nov 2017 00:54:30 EST ID:OR/Yo4mj No.391023 Report Quick Reply
>>390660
This. While theaters have the advantage of being able to show the latest films, that isn't always enough for people to go out. You have to make the movie-going experience more enjoyable to movie-goers by offering wider amenities like bar/food/waiter service rather than just what's at the concession stand.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.