Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Now Playing on /mtv/tube -

Anyone else watch the lighthouse?

- Wed, 08 Jan 2020 10:32:26 EST h2IYbxK7 No.412906
File: 1578497546897.jpg -(21563B / 21.06KB, 590x350) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Anyone else watch the lighthouse?
Thoughts? I think it was okay, overall a difficult and challenging watch.

Willem Dafoe's acting was superb and outclasses Pattisons completely and it kinda ruined the dynamic between the characters for me. Pattison did an okay job but was not completely believable in many of the more poignant scenes.

Some real nice dialogue in this film too, heavily influenced by classic literature and it's quite refreshing.
also it's super gay.
>>
Tinto Brass - Wed, 08 Jan 2020 12:54:48 EST xwFpTLr3 No.412907 Reply
I liked it. It wasn't as crazy as I was expecting/hoping, but I thought both guys were awesome and it looked amazing. My gf was convinced Pattison's accent kept changing but I didn't pick up on that.
>>
Michael Shannon - Wed, 08 Jan 2020 17:10:08 EST CaT5/nMH No.412914 Reply
1578521408078.png -(703558B / 687.07KB, 1280x1072) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Great, instant classic.
Sooo many goddamned layers. You can see the story in so many ways.
Like a mix of Apocalypse Now, The Shining, Pi, and Memento. Maybe even some Fear and Loathing.

Let's get some theories going.
I mean one pretty obvious way to look at it is that the entire film is Pattison's personal limbo where he's punished and confronted by God (Willem Dafoe) before he's allowed to go on into rest.
Like Dafoe says at one point, Pattison could have frozen to death during his escape from the murder he committed (lies to himself that he only let it happen) and now before his final rest he goes through this confrontation with God.

Aside from theories I think the film itself may have been inspired by a dream.
I recognize a lot of the way the film works as dream like. Where you know something is not making sense but you aren't aware enough to figure out you're dreaming.

>>412907
yea it became more pronounced at times when his character was more emotional, the Boston accent.
Only seen it once so I can't say if he messed it up, but I don't think so.
Remember he was lying about who he was, so could have been altering his accent at first then his real accent comes out when he lets his guard down.
>>
Lindsey Wagner - Wed, 08 Jan 2020 17:19:51 EST u1KKG0qM No.412915 Reply
Can't wait to see this one. Pattison can come into color. But I really liked what David Cronenberg did with him. A Limousine connection from Cosmopolis carried on to Maps to the Stars, which was such a feast to watch.
>>
Michael Shannon - Wed, 08 Jan 2020 17:26:51 EST CaT5/nMH No.412916 Reply
1578522411078.png -(637941B / 622.99KB, 1280x1072) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>412914
Dafoe even asks him at one point if he's a praying man. And Pattison says "I'm god fearing if that's what you mean."
You could probably also say Dafoe is the Devil. Simply doing his duty of punishing the wicked.
Esp since he seems to be enjoying tormenting Pattison.
>>
Katsuhiro Otomo - Wed, 08 Jan 2020 21:11:47 EST Vm0GCoTc No.412919 Reply
Best movie of 2019 IMO. I loved The Witch, and this was even better. Film looks amazing. The use of contrast was beautiful. Both Pattinson and Dafoe were excellent, but Dafoe especially. I think he's a lock for best supporting. I didn't expect it to be so damn funny too.
>>
Hunk - Wed, 08 Jan 2020 22:59:07 EST MX0xZFix No.412921 Reply
>>412916
I think it's overplayed to call this movie Lofecraftian, but that's the sort of "god" Dafoe is in the movie. It's not a God vs. Satan thing, it's about the scary, dark, unknowable depths sojourned over by a sea god that goes beyond Pattinson's land lubber sensibilities. So as he is Poseidon, a lot of other greek shit comes into it, like that image in one of Pattinson's hallucinations when Dafoe is holding him by the head and blaring light on him looks so much like a painting of a classical greek myth

anyway here's my favorite clip of it on youb00b:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3_M5nxqRRw
>>
Jeff Goldblum - Thu, 09 Jan 2020 00:46:49 EST +Lb33GKN No.412922 Reply
This Eggers fella is fucking nailing it, I love that hes just a random dude who started directing shit recently too. I know hes done proudction and assistance since like 2007 but his movies feel like a movie with a vision of one person, and I like his twisted mind.
>>
Dr. Virjay - Thu, 09 Jan 2020 10:46:37 EST h2IYbxK7 No.412939 Reply
1578584797802.jpg -(1051926B / 1.00MB, 1932x1564) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>412935
Forgot the rest of my post...

This film makes we want to drink so much.
>>
Squidward Tentacles - Mon, 13 Jan 2020 15:06:27 EST JUDoh/8S No.413019 Reply
Recieved a token nomination for Best Cinimatography, but totally snubbed otherwise. Your annual reminder that the Oscars are a fucking joke.
>>
Tom Peters - Mon, 13 Jan 2020 15:21:03 EST x7Mc3Mwx No.413020 Reply
>>413019
How can you say that when a really important and wholly original film like Joker was nominated?
>>
Tom Peters - Mon, 13 Jan 2020 15:33:51 EST x7Mc3Mwx No.413022 Reply
>>413021
That's the joker. You forgot to mention the part where Joker is a heavy homage to Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, both of which Robert Deniro starred in as well as appearing in Joker.
>>
Ray Gillette - Mon, 13 Jan 2020 15:40:04 EST 0AYmIY7a No.413023 Reply
>>413022
Ah I'm dumb. The irony was lost on me because of all the praise it's gotten.
>>
Dario Argento - Mon, 13 Jan 2020 15:57:01 EST n+iDhdY4 No.413024 Reply
>>413023
Joaquin is really good but I disagree with best picture, best screenplay, best director etc..
>>
Vic Mackey - Mon, 13 Jan 2020 19:45:36 EST KePdcHjb No.413025 Reply
1578962736951.gif -(3132464B / 2.99MB, 550x309) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Movie was alright but the last hour of it was basically just two dudes getting drunk in a room and bitching at each other. IMO it fell flat after a promising start. It never really goes anywhere and has one of those overdone "vague, open to interpretation" endings. I liked it but it wasn't as good as people are making it out to be.
>>
Terry Nation - Tue, 14 Jan 2020 09:59:00 EST WxifQ5Aq No.413033 Reply
>>413025
> using a twitter reaction gif
> here
your post was alright.
>>
Lucy Pevensie - Tue, 14 Jan 2020 21:42:56 EST KePdcHjb No.413044 Reply
1579056176582.gif -(882584B / 861.90KB, 500x500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>413033

I don't use twitter. Just selected a random image. Sorry if you're butthurt about it kid.
>>
Asuka - Tue, 14 Jan 2020 23:08:59 EST atF5f8Fm No.413046 Reply
Imo, one of the best films of all time, of the decade, and certainly of the year, along with [Parasite./i] It's a downright masterpiece so far as I'm concerned! And I just looked up the Oscar noms, and The Lighthouse has ONLY been nominated for the Best Cinematography category, which I agree with, but holy FUCK this film deserves at least a NOMINATION for Best Editing, Best Sound Design and all the sound categories and such, and ABSOLUTELY Best Director, and Best Picture. Especially considering the fact that Best Picture gets like 10 nomination slots now. I'm sorry, but The Lighthouse deserves the Best Picture nomination WAY more than Jojo Rabbit or Ford v. Ferrari do, that's just a plain FACT. But still...at least Parasite, which might actually BE the true best film of the year, maybe even the decade, is getting the recognition that it deserves with its nominations in Best Director and Best Picture.

But relatively meaningless awards aside, I am so excited to see what Robert Eggers has in store going forward. I mean, this is literally only the second film hes ever made, with The VVitch being his first, which was a near-masterpiece itself imo! I mean, this much talent on display this early in his career, ooooh BOY, hes got a promising career ahead of him. I've read that hes been on board to direct a remake of the horror classic Nosferatu for a WHILE now. As in, it was originally to be his second film, but delay after delay led to him making The Lighthouse in the meantime. Personally, I cant think of anyone better suited to helm a modern retelling of that classic piece of cinema than him.
>>
Asuka - Tue, 14 Jan 2020 23:14:20 EST atF5f8Fm No.413047 Reply
>>413046
Lol god damn it, I fucked up my italics! Times like this make me wish that we could still edit/delete posts...
>>
Asuka - Tue, 14 Jan 2020 23:28:15 EST atF5f8Fm No.413048 Reply
>>413046
Fuck it, im just gonna do over, can a mod just delete my two posts lol

Imo, one of the best films of all time, of the decade, and certainly of the year! As is what I believe to be its only true competitor - Parasite. It's a downright masterpiece so far as I'm concerned! Also, holy COW I just looked up the Oscar noms, and The Lighthouse has ONLY been nominated for the Best Cinematography category?! I mean, I agree with this, dont get me wrong, but holy FUCK this film deserves at least a NOMINATION for the other prestigious categories like Best Editing, Best Sound Design (and all the sound/visual categories and such), and you better BELIEVE Best Director, and Best Picture as well! Especially considering the fact that Best Picture gets like 10 nomination slots nowadays. I'm sorry, but The Lighthouse deserves the Best Picture nomination WAY more than films like Jojo Rabbit or Ford v. Ferrari do, that's just a plain FACT. But still...at least Parasite, which might actually BE the true best film of the year, maybe even the decade, is getting the recognition that it deserves with its nominations in Best Director and Best Picture.

But relatively meaningless awards aside, I am so excited to see what Robert Eggers has in store going forward. I mean, this is literally only the second film hes ever made, with The VVitch being his first, which was a near-masterpiece itself imo! I mean, this much talent on display this early in his career, ooooh BOY, hes got a promising career ahead of him. I've read that hes been on board to direct a remake of the horror classic Nosferatu for a WHILE now. As in, it was originally to be his second film, but delay after delay led to him making The Lighthouse in the meantime. Personally, I cant think of anyone better suited to helm a modern retelling of that classic piece of cinema than him.
>>
Asuka - Wed, 15 Jan 2020 04:33:47 EST atF5f8Fm No.413052 Reply
>>413051
That sounds interesting. I know that he WAS tapped to direct that Nosferatu remake. However as I said, its obviously suffered delays - to the point where he went ahead and made a whole entire film while the suits and the bean-counters sort this shit out. I was seriously hoping against hope that things were gonna sort themselves out, but if what you're telling us about his next project being a Viking drama is indeed true, then that pretty much confirms the worst. Development Hell for Nosferatu. Likely never to be made (as theyve been in perpetual pre-production ever since announcing Eggers as the director, so if things still havent gotten off the ground at THIS point, I doubt they ever will and we can consider that project dead as a doornail.

Such a shame. Hes absolutely PERFECT to helm a project like that. Then, he also sounds perfect to helm a project like you've just described as well. Especially working with the producer of HEREDITARY! I'm sure it'll be fantastic anyway. Like I said, Eggers imo is the brightest, most promising new director out there rn and I can't WAIT to see what he does next. Cuz I legitimately believe he has what it takes to become one of the all time greatest filmmakers. A one or a kind auteur.
>>
Zoe Washburne - Sat, 18 Jan 2020 09:58:04 EST AvV4UqpE No.413110 Reply
Excellent film. People were going expecting lovecraftian and were slightly disappointed that there wasn't any antediluvian evil springing forth on the screen kind of misses the point of what lovecraft was about, *puts on glasses*, which was the human descent into madness and the fear of the unknown. It's very clear that Eggers was going for this angle in a more subtle approach.

But yeah, tantalizing screenplay and I really loved the ending.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.