Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

The Expanse - SEASON 1

- Wed, 13 Jan 2021 10:55:02 EST naqMTd0w No.417996
File: 1610553302936.jpg -(57543B / 56.19KB, 1000x560) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. The Expanse - SEASON 1
So, after the disappointed with Star Trek Discovery, I started watching The Expanse on Amazon.

I'm a few episodes in and I have to say that the building blocks for a great series are definitely in place. I can understand why this show gets a lot of praise in science fiction communities. I've read that it's based on a book (or a book series) that I know nothing about, but it really reminds me of another modern sci-fi book series: Old Man's War by John Scalzi, but The Expanse is far less militaristic.

I really enjoy the balance between self-contained episodes and over-arching story. I don't feel like I have to binge 3-4 episodes to get my entertainment value. One episode every night or two is enough to keep me entertained and I feel like a lot of shows aren't able to walk that fine line.

I assume that this show has been discussed to death, but I thought I'd post since this board is so quiet and it's what I've been watching recently.
>>
Patrick Stewart - Thu, 14 Jan 2021 17:13:59 EST /qEnYLDv No.418008 Reply
1610662439756.gif -(1408177B / 1.34MB, 330x275) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>417996
Well I can come at you from having read the books. I watched the first four seasons after being recommended them, and they were prets good. I then went and read the books. It's strange. For instance, having seen Dark Star, I can really understand being trapped in a tin can with someone for years on end. You get tired eventually, they keep telling the same stories, etc. The Expanse novels wave this away with family dynamics. Both heroes and villains are huge Mary Sues, several characters from the main cast are like, I went through this trauma now I am sooo beyond your level. I (me!) went through six damned novels and slept through them all. Tiamat's Wrath is good though, but it took that long. It's neat seeing how the show attempts to coalesce the books. I would say stick with the show.
>>
Leon Black - Sun, 17 Jan 2021 20:37:57 EST 60D9UUmS No.418030 Reply
1610933877349.png -(536486B / 523.91KB, 512x524) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>417996

If you're liking S1 then you're in for a treat, IMO it's the least good season. Still enjoyable, but I'd call it guilty-pleasure tier. S2 and beyond is unironically good Sci-fi.

I'll have to wait to see how this season ends to judge completely, but so far I'd rank them 3>5>2>4>1

Amos and Bobbeh are tied for MVP
>>
Crud Bonemeal - Sat, 23 Jan 2021 11:34:13 EST naqMTd0w No.418069 Reply
1611419653673.jpg -(111374B / 108.76KB, 1000x667) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>417996
I don't know if anyone else is a fan of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, but every time I see this actor on screen, I mutter under my breath "Fucking Ashur".

It's a testament to how well he played that character, hope this series showcases what a phenomenal turncoat he can be. (I'm finished up season 2 now, the show's definitely hit it's stride this season).
>>
C-Higgy !lfsExjBfzE - Sun, 24 Jan 2021 04:14:55 EST UQAINkuU No.418076 Reply
>>418074
a series of novels, the ninth one Leviathan Falls is supposed to come out this year.
>>
Bob Saget - Fri, 05 Feb 2021 00:27:15 EST naqMTd0w No.418149 Reply
>>417996
Up to Season 3, episode 11, rn.

Shit has gotten pretty wild, but ep 11 really felt like Trek; two antagonistic characters come to terms with each other while dying. Really good stuff. Not sure how I feel about the 2001-esque stuff, but we'll see where it goes.
>>
Punt Speedchunk - Fri, 05 Feb 2021 18:19:32 EST 7VuehaRW No.418154 Reply
Best season and best episode.

This show has basically ruined me for other sci fi
User is currently banned from all boards
>>
Skylar White - Wed, 10 Feb 2021 03:03:26 EST vxHcd7/l No.418178 Reply
Just finished season 5
It was kinda weak there were things that I liked but
marcos inaros is such a lame villain with "huge" ideas but it just felt so lame when the solar system posseses and has seen an alien tech that can destroy entire planets and womrholes across the galaxy but theyre still squablling with this basic shit. And of course fucking Avirsirala becomes the Secretary General AGAIN. Idk the whole season was supposed to show Marcos showing off his super secret plan and it just felt so pointless, like wow dude you killed a few million people on Earth, fucking destroy the whole planet then Ill be impressed, your stupid Inner-Outer war pales in comparison to the scope the rest of the series has already explored; this felt like it sbouldve been the second season or something.
Didnt hate it but was kinda a dissapointment, Naomi had some fun parts at least
>>
Big Dan Teague - Sat, 13 Feb 2021 08:28:58 EST QFiUA88/ No.418221 Reply
>>418178
Well to be honest if it wasnt for Avarsarala then Inaros would have killed a whole lot more people. I'm rewatching season 1 and she talks about belters using stealth technology and throwing rocks at earth so I think it's a good pay off

I thought it was the best season so far due to the sheer amount of characterization. It was faster than season 4 and could slow down and indulge a little.
>>
Grima Wormtongue - Thu, 04 Mar 2021 00:18:23 EST naqMTd0w No.418487 Reply
>>418178

I just finished the season myself and I have to agree:

While I enjoyed the deeper exploration of everyone (except Holden)'s characters; the overarching threat of the season was totally minimized as soon as Avisarala was able to spot the remaining asteroids en route. On background, killing a few million Earthers is a big character boost along the villain axis for Inaros, but in reality, it was overshadowed by the Filip/Naomi plot. The Marco Inaros attack would have worked so much better as a cliffhanger season finale in season 4 instead of a midpoint season 5. Nothing really changed for the main characters after the attack in terms of their motivations.

I never really felt like Naomi was in any real peril and the "protomolecule" stakes were pretty weak tbh; it hadn't been in the foreground for over a season and as a result, I didn't feel that there was much to lose if the Roci didn't find the PM. Likewise, we all knew Naomi was going to be rescued; if she was set up to die, her suffering wouldn't have been stretched over 3-4 episodes, it would have been 1, maybe 2 max.

I am sad to see Alex go; he was always a fun character.

I really, really miss Klaes. I was hoping that old space pirate would have some way of surviving, but a few episodes after his death, I realized there was no deus ex machina coming to save him. He had to die for Marco to be a threat, but his death was kind of cheap in the face of the flaccid nature of Inaros' "evil potential". I also feel like Drummer's character went from 'tough, tiger lady' to 'melancholic molly' too quickly. I get that there was supposed to have been some time between seasons 4 and 5, but when you binge watch, the character turn is pretty abrupt.

Overall, I enjoyed season 5, but it was very different from the previous seasons. Even season 4, which was very locally contained, felt more like "The Expanse" than the current/just passed season.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.