420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

penis pump

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Causes of gun explosions by Eugene Handerstone - Sun, 08 Jan 2017 11:53:27 EST ID:ysfqWdn7 No.42960 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1483894407374.gif -(2095125B / 2.00MB, 388x240) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 2095125
Point me in the right direction here guys. I'm familiar (I get the concept at least) with things like case/head separation, double feeds and squib rounds, but what else out there is likely to cause a gun to explode? What's the most common kind of catastrophic failure these days? How often does it happen? Also, is there any way a modern revolver can chainfire?
>>
Augustus Clallerspear - Sun, 08 Jan 2017 14:29:56 EST ID:gYI4dRyi No.42962 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Bore obstruction, although you'd really have to forcefully wedge something in there to get this kind of result:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4AqMl1A4aQ

Also gas system obstructions in semi autos, which is what I'd wager caused that AK to explode in your gif. Possibly the piston was so gunked up with cosmoline, carbon buildup, rust, etc. that once it got heated up from full auto it expanded to the point where it just jammed up in the tube and the gas had nowhere to go. Just my two cents.
>>
Augustus Clallerspear - Sun, 08 Jan 2017 14:41:16 EST ID:gYI4dRyi No.42963 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>42962
Also I just noticed in that gif the upper half of the handguard that attaches to the gas tube looks like it's missing. So more than likely some dumbass probably tampered with the tube/piston and then couldn't figure out how to put the handguard back on when reassembling so they just said fuck it and left it as is.
>>
Frederick Weshspear - Sun, 08 Jan 2017 15:32:58 EST ID:U/A9KWmk No.42964 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>42960
Probably in order of commonality... (Big difference between rifles and pistols mind you)

>Squib+Round behind it. I've seen this FAR more than anything else. Usually bulged barrels result but I still consider it a catastrophic failure whether the gun fails completely or not. Squibs come from no or WAY too little powder in the case. Ammo factories can have this happen rarely and reloaders/competition shooters do this much more frequently due to reloading presses without powder lasers/alarms etc. Competition incentives shooting the weakest rounds possible as well.
>Case failure. Walls thin on reloading and overloaded rounds can just blow the case out without blowing out the barrel. Brass can just fail like all metals.
>Double charge.
>Action failure such as a slide crack, frame crack etc.
>Firing out of battery. Sort of the same as above but it is way more rare.
>Barrels failing.
>Bolts failing.

There are others like using the wrong powder or something but gun explosions are already extremely rare. Another case is some foreign object like a tiny rock hitting the primer just right in an automatic firearm and setting the round off outside of the chamber etc but we are talking absolute anomaly.

>What's the most common kind of catastrophic failure these days?
Probably poorly reloaded ammo by idiots. Barring anything other than factory loaded ammo in safe condition firearms, I guess double charges fired out of handguns that are loosely chambered. Rifles don't explode nearly as much as pistols from everything I've collected. Lots of stuff can go wrong with pistols and pistol rounds by design that slightly increase the chance of fucking up. Pistol "bolts" don't lock in like rifle bolts, pistol barrels are thinner and have feed ramp intrusion, pistol rounds can have the bullet slip back into the case, pistol rounds are easier to slightly hold out of battery etc. KB's are very rare but I'd say they happen more often in pistols than rifles. However, when a rifle goes boom, you're probably going to get really fucked up to where as most pistol KB's just bruise the shit out of your hand and maybe cut you some.

>Also, is there any way a modern revolver can chainfire?
I'm assuming you mean all the rounds in the cylinder get set off from recoil as every reference to chainfire I've ever heard referred to black powder revolvers. It isn't impossible but it is basically never going to happen. Chainfiring is when flame/spark/whatever goes back into the cylinder of other rounds and sets them off as well. A common practice to prevent this was to use a wax/gel/grease and covering the other holes in the cylinders. You can expose loaded rounds to sparks and brief wisps of open flames and they aren't going to go off.

>>42962
>>42963
None of that is correct except for bore obstructions.

>Also gas system obstructions in semi autos, which is what I'd wager caused that AK to explode in your gif. Possibly the piston was so gunked up with cosmoline, carbon buildup, rust, etc. that once it got heated up from full auto it expanded to the point where it just jammed up in the tube and the gas had nowhere to go. Just my two cents.

Gas systems in rifles don't get gunked up with shit to the point of exploding. You'd have to fill them with water or dirt to clog them. And if you did that, it would explode on the first round. Typically around 2-5k PSI passes through gas ports. With that much air pressure, no big chunks of shit are going to stay in there. AK's are also vented typically in the gas tube so that any small carbon flakes/dirt/shit can get shot out. Firing more than 3 rounds is going to clean out a gas system. There may be tiny flecks of carbon/powder that collect a bit on the walls just like a bore but just like a bore, there isn't going to be a massive buildup that completely blocks the bore. Too much volume and pressure pass through it for that to happen. The fact that he fired a handful of rounds means the gas system was functioning.

>Also I just noticed in that gif the upper half of the handguard that attaches to the gas tube looks like it's missing. So more than likely some dumbass probably tampered with the tube/piston and then couldn't figure out how to put the handguard back on when reassembling so they just said fuck it and left it as is.

When a gun explodes, huge amounts of pressure vent nearly immediately which forces shit into all directions. If you've ever seen a pistol explode; the magazine shoots out the bottom, the top of the slide pops off or is bowed upwards and the chamber is blown out in small pieces. Small parts get shot everywhere too. Same with rifles, magazine blows out, barrel typically ruptures, bolt is ejected and gas system gets destroyed. Not sure if you've ever work on AK's or not but you should know that there is literally no way to put an AK together wrong and have it fire ~5-10 rounds and then suddenly break. It is either going to not work (This is the case with an incorrectly assembled gas system) or it is just going to break on the first round shot. AK gas tubes are held on with about an 1/8" inch shoulder which the gas tube fits over. It is very easy for the gas tube to pop out should the gun explode. Even if he didn't flip the lever down on the sight block locking the tube in; it would have jammed/came loose when the rifle was cycling and not when it was firing. An AK bolt and gas piston are connected if you were unfamiliar and so the piston going through the gas tube keeps them locked in place regardless of the sight lever. The gas tube "could" pop out of place should the bolt be all the way at the rear of the receiver when cycling but this is still pretty unlikely.

Judging by the way that the front trunnion and the lower receiver are completely separated, the bolt, barrel or case failed. Given the circumstances, I'd wager that what may have happened was this:

>Blah blah blah derka derka we shooting
>Spent round gets ejected, new round is chambered. Ammo could very likely be from Pakistan. A place renowned for shitty ammo.
>New rounds is double charged and goes boom. Derka has lost his hand.

>Shooting w/e.
>AK could have been assembled within a barrel pin because this is derkastan, barrel starts to work its way out of the trunnion under firing and headspacing issues cause explosion.

>hurr f/a
>An out of spec round is chambered because this is probably some shithole with shitty ammo and the bolt doesn't fully lock up (Also possibly due to a poorly made rifle in shitholeistan) and the gun explodes when the gun fires just slightly out of battery.

>boolits~
>Headspacing is done improperly by 12 year old brown children and the gun just explodes because it is made improperly.

As a final note, the pressure at the gas port is also relatively very low. I can't remember exact specs but the max pressure of a 7.62x39 is at least 35k psi. At the gas port this pressure is probably around 2-4k. This pressure also decreases significantly when it immediately is able to expand into the gas tube which is much larger in diameter. It is extremely unlikely that the failure originated at the gas tube. Especially given that the rifle is shunted forward during the explosion rather than blow backwards.
>>
John Bussleway - Mon, 09 Jan 2017 00:31:33 EST ID:evnPdvTX No.42965 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I remember seeing this gif, and someone saying it was a trick the US does where they put a couple of rounds in found ammo cashes that will blow a gun like that. Apparently it was a big thing in Vietnam?
>>
Thomas Bambleham - Mon, 09 Jan 2017 21:50:21 EST ID:rDh2/HTN No.42966 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>42962

lol it would be the rem 700 that explodes the most violently.

"remington 700: If the defective trigger doesn't kill you, then the barrel sure will."
>>
Cedric Doffingdick - Wed, 11 Jan 2017 00:00:04 EST ID:evnPdvTX No.42967 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>42966
Says alot that it was Winchester and Remington that failed catastrophically.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.