Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Firearms and glaring mental health problems

- Wed, 11 Mar 2020 20:32:28 EST Dk09St6v No.44198
File: 1583973148752.jpg -(55201B / 53.91KB, 336x617) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Firearms and glaring mental health problems
I have some questions and I'm sorry if they're dumb. This stuff is so far out of my knowledge base it's ridiculous.

I've been on a CA 5250 hold (multiple, actually) for harm to self and as a result I'm not allowed to possess firearms. I live in a house with roommates. We're generally very supportive of each other. My roommates are considering getting a gun because our neighborhood is insane and several of us, myself included, are physically disabled.

Would something bad happen legally having a gun in the house if I'm not supposed to own one, and if so, what?

"No person who has been adjudicated by a court of any state to be a danger to others as a result of a mental disorder or mental illness shall purchase or receive, or attempt to purchase or receive, or have in his or her possession, custody, or control a firearm..."

Possessions, custody, or control sounds a lot like having any access to it is a problem.
>>
Charles Smallspear - Wed, 11 Mar 2020 20:34:24 EST Dk09St6v No.44199 Reply
oh, and I was not considering trying to obtain or use said gun. I don't really want any part of that.
>>
Nigel Cuttingpatch - Thu, 12 Mar 2020 14:17:43 EST vERzgJPG No.44200 Reply
in the unlikely event cops appear, take the gun, and ask who's it is, would one of your roommates claim it or would everyone mumble and look at their feet? as long as a kosher owner claims it you're gravy
>>
Lydia Singerstock - Thu, 12 Mar 2020 22:02:45 EST fdfM3Hq5 No.44201 Reply
>>44198
Given that you're in Cali and given how cops are; no. And even so, it is still federally illegal if you have access to it in any way. Just like if you have a gun in a car, and a felon is in that car with you, and it isn't on your person or locked away, he is in violation of the law and possibly the driver and owner of the car depending on the arresting officer, the DA policy, the local politics, and the local laws etc.

I suppose you could argue that if you share a house or flat or whatever and they keep it locked in a safe or strictly on their person that you'd be okay but you're taking a risk. Especially in California and today's political climate.

It is a risk and you should probably speak to an attorney but in all likelihood, someone will get in trouble and it will probably be your and whoever is the owner of the firearm.
>>
Fuck Breshwill - Thu, 09 Apr 2020 16:59:12 EST DJgrkRzn No.44211 Reply
>>44200
>>44201
Thank you both for responding to this.

Not that anyone was dying for the gripping conclusion of this story, but I sat down with roommate and talked to her about this and the potential legal risk (I would have done it anyway) and she was very nice and understanding and we're not getting a gun. I think she thinks I would shoot myself in the face and that's honestly probably true. And even if not, if we get in trouble I'm black so I'm likely not getting off lightly and she says she'd feel awful. I feel guilty. The end

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.