Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Bear defense

- Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:00:50 EST rRt1McDZ No.44639
File: 1638122450120.jpg -(71851B / 70.17KB, 1000x1000) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Bear defense
I'm gonna do a chunk of the Appalachian trail. This is black bear territory. Gun laws are tricky at best and I'd probably end up in legal trouble if I actually shot a bear. Did some reading on non gun methods for bear deterrence. Looks like bear spray is about 99% effective according to some study from like 1990. Others recommend talking often while hiking so you don't accidentally surprise one.

Saw some sites that said if you see a bear that's over 40 feet away that seems like it's not going away, use noise makers. There's a pretty nifty "bear banger pen" which seems like a great option, but it's illegal in the US for some goddamn reason. Then I found this thing which seems good, but you'd have to put the cartridge in the barrel right before using because it'll probably fall out otherwise.

Then I thought, why not just use bottle rockets or firecrackers? It would take just as long to activate those. (It probably wouldn't cause a forest fire. The Appalachians aren't as dry as some places.) Some firecrackers are loud as fuck, similar to an actual bõmb. Again this is a secondary action between maintaining low/moderate human noise, not making eye contact, and bear spray. (And if none of that works then try to stab it in the throat while I'm being mauled I guess.)
>>
Augustus Finderman - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:23:11 EST rRt1McDZ No.44640 Reply
>>44639
FYI I'd rather die than go through a long drawn out legal battle.
>>
Augustus Finderman - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:37:21 EST rRt1McDZ No.44641 Reply
>>44639
Someone told me a starter blank/primer handgun might be enough noise. It seems like a 209 shotgun primer is almost as loud as a shotgun.
>>
Hamilton Dicklewure - Mon, 06 Dec 2021 16:49:50 EST lSSTgZ7R No.44644 Reply
>>44639
As a eurofag, I can't understand being an american and NOT bringing a .357 with you on a hike through the bear territory. You're afraid of legal trouble? Thinking of bringing firecrackers??? Dude do you not see how ridiculous you sound? A handgun will do the same job, but more quickly with the added benefit of actually protecting you if he decides to charge anyways. You don't have to shoot him.
User is currently banned from all boards
>>
Nicholas Davingfuck - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:00:26 EST 0IotlrOh No.44666 Reply
>>44639
Black bears don't pose much of a threat unless you're seriously unlucky. Bear mace will incapacitate a grizzly if used properly, it will absolutely stop a charging black bear in its tracks. I'd just carry bear spray for a possible worst case scenario and not worry too much about it. You'd be surprised how easily black bears are scared off -- they're kind of pussies considering their size.
>>
Beatrice Warrytadge - Tue, 04 Jan 2022 21:02:17 EST i6huAxva No.44669 Reply
suk my dik it's a weapon
User is currently banned from all boards
>>
Jenny Giblingwin - Tue, 08 Feb 2022 21:19:04 EST xQIKPnKZ No.44700 Reply
>>44639
You won't need it. Seriously its so much extra weight that by the time you get to the first stop you'll want to ditch it. If anything, get a compact 9mm like a p320 or hellcat and carry that on a belt, in or out. Its better to carry in those territories for the people, don't worry about the bears, they avoid people.
>>
Molly Pindlesore - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 21:42:31 EST Whbghoa7 No.44709 Reply
Yeah, black bears aren't really dangerous if you inow how to handle them. The basic rules are: if it's a sow with cubs, back up, try to maintain something between you and the bear, talk calmly and NEVER take your eyes off the bear. If it's springtime you kay he dealing with a jeuvenile that doesn't know how to deal with humans yet and it WILL be hungry, so keep food smells to a minimum and be ready to drop your pack if needed. Just about anybother black bear encounter is best dealt with by exhibiting clear aggression. Throw stuff at it. Yell. Wage your arms over your head. Tear up 5he jearby vegetation. Basically go full silverback gorilla dominance display. Ive had two close encounters with black bears and punked the bear both times.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.