Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Sertraline

- Thu, 29 Aug 2019 00:13:00 EST G2VzOFbi No.132664
File: 1567051980762.jpg -(14924B / 14.57KB, 320x320) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Sertraline
Been prescribed zoloft 50mg and have never done any other drugs before except for ket a couple times.

Kinda scared tbh, what should I expect? I've had a bit of schizophrenia and hallucinations and paranoia a few years ago that was untreated but didn't think to mention it to the doctor. The doc said that my seratonin levels and dopamine levels are so ridiculously low from a decade of suicidal depression that the first couple weeks are going to be utter hell. What are the possible long term side effects and withdrawals like? I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to physical pain and I'm afraid of being fucked up long term over this shit. The whole ordeal kinda weirded me out a bit since I was there all of 5 minutes and was given drugs without even really saying much other than some general anxiety and long term depression.

The doc guy kept saying how rough the first few weeks were going to be but to power through unless I'm about to kill myself. ngl, kinda freaked out a bit at all of it.

Don't even know if this is the right board or not. Thought about posting it on /benz//spoiler]
>>
Caroline Hegglestit - Thu, 29 Aug 2019 01:05:06 EST qIrfrJZG No.132665 Reply
sertraline is honestly abysmal for actually treating depression

>I've had a bit of schizophrenia and hallucinations and paranoia a few years ago that was untreated but didn't think to mention it to the doctor

that's really important to mention because Sertraline in particular has a tendency to make this way worse, i have bipolar and i can abuse Sertraline to reliably send me into mania, haven't done it in a while because it's playing with fire, but it was kind of fun sometimes until i ended up in the ward for a month

I would not take Sertraline at all, there are way way better antidepressants out there it's ridiculous they still prescribe this trash

wait a few days and tell them the side-effects were too severe, ask to be put on something like Wellbutrin or another non-SSRI antidepressant, SSRIs have a tendency to make legitimately crazy people crazier, like I said I could abuse the shit out of Sertraline in a way normal people can't, it was retarded and you shouldn't do it but who am I to tell you what to do with your life

I've had a lot of luck with Wellbutrin+Lamictal with Seroquel as needed if I slip into a really bad manic episode with psychotic features and it's also great for comedowns
>>
Lillian Fanningcocke - Thu, 29 Aug 2019 02:06:18 EST G2VzOFbi No.132666 Reply
>>132665
Yea, I think they got a bit too hyped up on the anxiety part and didn't focus much on the depression. The doc asked if I was enthusiastic though and I said no and they pressed a bit further but it didn't go anywhere. I don't have insurance and I'm guessing they know an enthusiasm test or whatever is probably costly as fuck to where as a doctor visit and 10 dollars worth of drugs is something I can afford.

Really in all honesty though, I'm kinda hoping in a way this can motivate me enough to off myself. I know this isn't /qq/ but I've dealt with horrible depression for over half my life and I know how fragile my mental state can get at times. I don't like this world or anyone in it anyways. The anxiety is there a bit but I don't get out or do anything so it isn't much of a problem. I know better than to really show how deep it goes otherwise I'll get a 72 hour hold and without insurance that would be a long time debt shackle.
>>
Caroline Hegglestit - Thu, 29 Aug 2019 02:15:59 EST qIrfrJZG No.132667 Reply
>>132666
I've had a few attempts, always came around to regret it, I would seriously be very honest with your doctor, stays in in-patient aren't actually that bad, but I assume you're in burgerland since you mentioned insurance, I fucking hate this country and it's retarded backwards medical system so fucking much, I lucked out having a decent plan from work, but you shouldn't have to be lucky not to die, for fucks sake

anyway, ask for a different drug, say you have suicidal ideation if you really think you're going to kill yourself, they can't NOT accept you into the psych ward, it costed me a bit even with insurance, i don't know how it works without insurance, I want to reiterate I can't fucking believe that medical bills are a concept that human beings have to deal with holy SHIT fuck amerikkka but seriously live, I've tried to kill myself, I've been admitted many times, I don't know why but I really think you should stick around, I'm not going to guilt you into it, but just know at least one person cares if you live or die
>>
Lillian Fanningcocke - Thu, 29 Aug 2019 02:46:03 EST G2VzOFbi No.132668 Reply
>>132667
I'll lose what little job options I have if I get put on a 72 hour hold unfortunately so that has to be avoided at all costs or else I'm back to flipping burgers at McDonalds or retail work doing part time shit. The area I'm in is terrible, probably might just book it out somewhere with what little money I still have saved and if it doesn't work I'll be in the gutter and homeless with motivation then probably. I'll try some of these drugs and shit but I dunno. I'm going down a bad path doing drugs. I don't see the difference between prescribed pills and illegal drugs, may as well just do party drugs instead. I dunno.
>>
Caroline Hegglestit - Thu, 29 Aug 2019 03:07:16 EST qIrfrJZG No.132670 Reply
>>132668
Well like I mean sertraline fucking sucks in general for me, but apparently it must work for people otherwise they wouldn't still prescribe it. IDK why they don't at least give you Lexapro or a newer SSRI with fewer side-effects

It makes no fucking sense to me at all that sertraline is still used, it's ridiculous to me
>>
Ernest Dazzlewere - Tue, 03 Sep 2019 02:42:31 EST G2VzOFbi No.132692 Reply
Week in, me bird don't rise and shine no more and it's making me sleep like 30 minutes then wake up, then sleep 30 minutes and wake up over and over. Aside from that no effects whatsoever.
>>
Ebenezer Gazzlefield - Tue, 03 Sep 2019 13:57:36 EST UzDAggtB No.132693 Reply
I'm not opposed to using SSRIs and SNRIs, they do at the very least seem to help treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder and are potentially capable of helping some people at least get suicidal depression under control, giving them a chance to work on improve things in their life, attitudes, and outlooks, but they do virtually nothing in the way of actually treating depression outright.

Side-effects are typically limited to having trouble concentrating at first, yawning a lot (and it feels weird to yawn), paradoxically having trouble sleeping sometimes, having trouble waking up after getting to sleep, have sexual dysfunction. Withdrawal can make getting off of them a bit of a challenge because it starts to cause rebound depression, anhedonia, bouts of vertigo, brain zaps, etc.

Really, I wouldn't start taking them unless it's as a last resort or unless you have a significant anxiety problem coupled with your depression. Clinical depression is hypothesized to be the result of an imbalance of key neurotransmitters (what your doctor was referring to by saying you have low dopamine and serotonin levels), but there is virtually no evidence suggesting this to actually be the case and there's actually quite a bit that suggests the hypothesis is without basis and possibly totally bunk. It's what's taught, so it's understandable your doctor mentioned it to you, but I'm a bit irked at them specifically telling you that you have low dopamine and serotonin levels. The only way to test for that is to check your piss for levels of certain metabolites that indicate a possible lower or higher level of dopamine and serotonin. It's not actually a given/a fact that you have lower serotonin and dopamine levels--the doctor is literally talking out of their ass when they say that.

That said, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy will likely have better results for you, even if in combination with an SSRI, at treating your depression than the SSRI will. The SSRI just seems unnecessary unless you've got your back to the wall and need to just try anything as a last resort. Most studies on clinical depression now suggest a causal link to elevated stress levels and the patient's brain's poor ability to cope with stress in relation to depression. Substances that improve the brain's ability to deal with stress (both physical and mental) seem to have higher success treating depression, even ones that act, in contrast to the chemical imbalance hypothesis (and that it's low serotonin in particular), as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Enhancers rather than inhibitors, reducing levels of brain serotonin. Developing mental resiliency, developing stress coping techniques and skills, and being prescribed medications that improve the brain's ability to mitigate stress and anxiety seem to have a much greater chance of success than simply prescribing and SSRI because that's the only real treatment we have at the moment.

You see, the reasoning behind the chemical imbalance hypothesis is totally fallacious. You can look it up on google if you want, but it's hunches and assumptions based on more hunches and assumptions. Improvement or deterioration in mental state was observed under certain circumstances and it was just assumed that it was for greater levels of serotonin and norepinephrine (dopamine too, but less so) or lower levels respectively, but it was never investigated further. There were no further experiments with controls designed to actually determine what was actually leading to the improvements or deteriorations, they just ran with something and pharmaceutical companies wound up making enough profit from it that it's gotten a good foothold on the market and consensus in the medical community.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.