420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Learning post code academy by Archie Craffingback - Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:20:36 EST ID:AtsFlC7n No.36450 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1484184036841.jpg -(2518328B / 2.40MB, 2240x1604) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 2518328
Looking for something to do after code academy

Can't find anything.

I just finished the lessons of Javascript, Python. Should I learn another before moving on?

what do I move onto?

Thanks,
>>
Emma Crozzleworth - Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:10:55 EST ID:sGFR0zid No.36451 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1484187055500.png -(453406B / 442.78KB, 640x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I would say you have a few options, depending on your time/finances/level of interest/ultimate goals. Perhaps one or more of the following:

• enroll in a MOOC (e.g. Coursera, EdX, etc)
  • buy a college-level textbook and work through it (I suggest textbooks with lots of ideas for practice programs at the end of each chapter)
  • you can use Javascript to build your own websites that do whatever you want. Of course you'll need a lot of other skills, not least of which is basic HTML/CSS stuff.
  • work through freecodecamp.com or another free online bootcamp/intensive training suite (I think there was one for Ruby on Rails that people liked)
  • if you have money to spend: enroll in a brick-and-mortar college/uni, brick-and-mortar bootcamp, or college/uni that does online classes
  • join the Air Force or Navy or Air National Guard, get great training, re-enlist or don't after 4-8 years
>>
John Bungold - Sat, 14 Jan 2017 08:56:46 EST ID:W/zS63TD No.36455 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I can send you a zip of every pdf I accumulated from my 4-year CS degree.

But that time and effort will cost you $5.
>>
Thomas Murdford - Mon, 16 Jan 2017 15:22:05 EST ID:AtsFlC7n No.36457 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36455
If we could exchange info I would gladly put that money in your hands
>>
Lydia Povingwell - Tue, 17 Jan 2017 00:26:24 EST ID:j4Mgcfd3 No.36461 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36457
If you want a random mass of subpar, uncurrated, and outdated books, go to your local library and visit any fine torrent site, search for programming, and sort by size.
>>
Polly Ficklepot - Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:28:42 EST ID:AtsFlC7n No.36464 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36451
Ill try the free versions first

I just completed codeacaemy javascript and python

any recommendations on what I should learn next so I can say I "learned the basics"
>>
Esther Brookham - Wed, 18 Jan 2017 11:41:30 EST ID:sGFR0zid No.36467 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36464

"Basics" is pretty vague. If you want to go a strict computer science route, "basics" would be the actual foundations of computing, like transistors, logic gates, sequential and combinational logic, architecture, discrete math, OS principles and algorithmic theory. If you want to learn web developing, or databases, or computer security, or IT, the "basics" will be different (although there is some overlap between all of these). Start with your end goal and then determine what you need to know to succeed in it. And/or just delve deep into anything you find interesting! The only limit is yourself! Welcome to Zombo Com!
>>
Esther Brookham - Wed, 18 Jan 2017 11:56:52 EST ID:sGFR0zid No.36468 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36464

Also if you're asking if you should learn another language, I think that too depends on your goals. C is considered the lingua franca of computing so you might want to give it a try. Personally I have a love/hate relationship with C, and if you are just making websites and stuff you may never have to use C in your entire life, so it's not like everyone needs to know it.

Python is kind of a jack-of-all-trades language, it can be used for imperative, object oriented, and functional paradigms. It's used in a lot of situations from AI to web development. Lots of libraries for almost anything you'd want to do. So you could try to gain a mastery of Python. I don't know any specific resources for that other than the Python docs (which are pretty darn good), MOOCs, or a nice thick textbook or 3.
>>
Simon Greenville - Thu, 19 Jan 2017 00:04:41 EST ID:W/zS63TD No.36473 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36468
I think it'd be better to learn the more modern problem solving methods, then only after that, maybe learn C to understand how it's happening behind the scenes.
>>
Fucking Suzzlebanks - Fri, 20 Jan 2017 03:44:22 EST ID:AtsFlC7n No.36475 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36467
besides algorithmic theory, Ive done a good part of that already

I like the delve into whatever

every CS person loves helping me, its neat
>>
Fucking Suzzlebanks - Fri, 20 Jan 2017 03:45:45 EST ID:AtsFlC7n No.36476 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36468
I enjoy it because its like a puzzle
and its more engaging than doing suduko everyday

I am replacing physical puzzles with this because its a skill that may or may not make me feel less lame for wearing two nintendo powergloves while blasting new wave retro wearing ray bans
>>
Charlotte Crullerfuck - Sat, 21 Jan 2017 14:42:03 EST ID:sGFR0zid No.36479 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36475

If your goal is just to challenge yourself, and you want to explore algorithms, I really recommend codingame.com . There is a large set of challenges that range from straightforward to extremely difficult, and there are also open-ended challenges like designing AIs to beat other AIs in races. And then every few months they have online hackathon type events.
>>
Henry Clibblehall - Mon, 23 Jan 2017 19:44:33 EST ID:AtsFlC7n No.36480 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36479
that sounds fun, thanks

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.