Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Connect me to the IoT

- Thu, 29 Sep 2016 04:30:17 EST kp+BhG+A No.36205
File: 1475137817948.png -(1013306B / 989.56KB, 1920x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Connect me to the IoT
Hey /prog/,
In the Internet of Things, how do people get all these devices connected to their internet? Do the devices need a keyboard interface of some sort so users can enter their wifi info? I just don't understand how you can achieve connectivity without having some local relay that handles the internet part for you - which seems ridiculous...
I'm just trying to get a nightlight connected and it seems ludicrous to have to program a display and pushbuttons just for password entry. I hope I'm missing something
>>
Shitting Blythecocke - Thu, 29 Sep 2016 06:50:55 EST cyPUa9oe No.36206 Reply
Consumer IoT devices are usually set up using bluetooth or NFC. If you're rolling your own though just load whatever configuration you need.
>>
Cornelius Tootwater - Thu, 29 Sep 2016 10:46:26 EST VF6SQKpL No.36207 Reply
>>36206
So that's like having a central relay for all your devices, right? Like Youd connect your toaster to your smart phone via blue tooth, and now the toaster can get to the internet. Is that how it works?
Yea I'm rolling my own, but itd be nice if anyone could use it without having to load their config file into it
>>
Walter Penningridge - Thu, 29 Sep 2016 16:16:41 EST xLz8+Ihk No.36208 Reply
>>36207
Read a fucking book, a whitepaper or even a wikipedia page nigga
>>
Cornelius Tootwater - Thu, 29 Sep 2016 17:13:12 EST VF6SQKpL No.36209 Reply
>>36208
Alright nyiguh nyiguh, I have read a shit ton of iot papers, but all they talk about is the usual buzzwords like M2M, P2M, what have you.
All I wanted to know is if there's an easy way to connect my fucking night light to wifi, but I guesss that's not a good enough question for your frekin board.
Maybe if I had asked, "hey /prog/, what's a good book to learn python?" or "what's your favorite part about Haskell?" but holy frekin Damn if someone comes here looking for an actual technical solution to something.
>>
Martin Clayworth - Thu, 29 Sep 2016 18:01:06 EST 9QSfnS0r No.36210 Reply
These days everything is "iot", while it's really not.

The crux of the matter is ISPs still don't allow their private customers to a) run their own router and b) assign ipv6 addresses to their devices.
For instance the Philips Hue gateway may be a nifty contraption and it let's you control the illumination of a room using zigbee light-bulbs, but they are not INTERnet of things because they do not have a publicly accessible ip address.

Enough of the rant, if you want to do "IOT" stuff get a Raspberry PI 3, if you know python you are all set.
>>
Shitting Blythecocke - Thu, 29 Sep 2016 18:01:57 EST cyPUa9oe No.36211 Reply
>>36209
I don't even know where to start with you. Everything about this is retarded. Buy a kit from Sparkfun and follow some tutorials or something. That sounds like more your speed.
>>
Sophie Gunkinbury - Sat, 01 Oct 2016 20:02:10 EST WLOo3E7i No.36216 Reply
>>36209
>comes here looking for an actual technical solution to something
Try /tech/
>>
Reuben Dissleson - Fri, 11 Nov 2016 08:28:34 EST 8AGoqQnQ No.36294 Reply
OP, one way to do it would be to have your device connect to your phone via bluetooth, then do the wifi setup for your device from your phone. You could make a simple app for this, or you could just use a pre made app to send information across bluetooth.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.