Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Excel and Java

- Mon, 31 Oct 2016 23:05:50 EST AuWKAElz No.36269
File: 1477969550782.png -(70558B / 68.90KB, 1143x530) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Excel and Java
I work as an administrative assistant for a life insurance agent so I need to make calls to clients and keep a somewhat detailed record (in the form of an excel file such as pic related). Is there a way I can create a program, preferably in java, which extrapolates data from the individual sheets into a single cohesive database which I can make a GUI for to search for specific phone number, name, etc. and see the results associated with it? My Java skills are basic to moderate but if you point me in the right direction, I'll probably get how to do it. thanks y'all
>>
Charlotte Tillingman - Mon, 31 Oct 2016 23:11:43 EST WbKvZFIL No.36270 Reply
The tool you want is called Access. It's designed for people like you to solve problems like this.
>>
David Cepperville - Tue, 01 Nov 2016 00:17:56 EST WLOo3E7i No.36271 Reply
>>36269
If you select the headers of your sheet and choose 'Sort & Filter' -> 'Filter', you will be able to filter your data based on the data in the columns
Also, If you need to do some analysis of your data, look into Pivot Tables
>>
Cornelius Gandlewill - Tue, 01 Nov 2016 19:57:42 EST AuWKAElz No.36272 Reply
I kinda want to program a rudimentary program on my own though, mostly just for fun. If it ends up being productive and useful, then I might get a bonus or some shit
>>
Beatrice Blommerwill - Tue, 01 Nov 2016 20:30:25 EST WLOo3E7i No.36273 Reply
>>36272
Then you could either just save your worksheet as a csv file to easily read it in, or use the Apache POI.
>>
Phineas Pattingfun - Wed, 02 Nov 2016 10:48:28 EST gEtE4wNA No.36275 Reply
>>36269
Trust me, any kind of GUI you or anyone writes is gonna be vastly less powerful than Excel. I suggest learning how to use it better, learn some VB scripting or whatever you use in Excel these days.
However, if you're dealing with shit tons of data (more than you can reasonably fit in one excel sheet), then maybe you need a database backend. I actually think MS added a feature for using MS SQL server as a database backend for Excel, it sounds ridiculous, but it might be what you need.

If the data across all excel files is small enough to keep in memory on your workstation, then what I would do is simply create a script to concatenate all the sheets. Look up how to read and write excel files in your programming language of choice (Java) and start by combining all the files.
>>
Nell Bollerhitch - Thu, 03 Nov 2016 13:56:07 EST AuWKAElz No.36278 Reply
>>36275
I'm going to look into your second suggestion and probably just write and read the files in excel. What I wanted to do though is read the information from the files into a map or list of 'client'-data type objects that have their first and last name as well as the date and time called and also the results of that call. That way I can make a program through which I search a client's name and it uses the name as a key for the map and returns the associated information, you feel?
>>
Nell Bollerhitch - Thu, 03 Nov 2016 13:56:43 EST AuWKAElz No.36279 Reply
>>36275
I mostly just want to do it for a fun project because I'm taking an intro java course at my cc right now
>>
Ebenezer Mavingshit - Thu, 03 Nov 2016 15:11:53 EST gEtE4wNA No.36280 Reply
>>36278
Sure, go wild with it, making something practical is a great way to learn. Just start with figuring out how to read excel files in Java and go from there. Then you can dive into the world of relational databases, so you can run SQL queries on your data, maybe you wanna do different queries, like look for a client by phone number, or find all the appointments for next thursday, or whatever.
SQLite is a great starting point, single file database so you won't have to worry about setting up a server and all that stuff, just focus on learning SQL.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.