Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Are "soft" tech jobs useless?

- Sun, 06 Nov 2016 12:02:44 EST RzCYRoD4 No.36282
File: 1478451764629.jpg -(85962B / 83.95KB, 958x1313) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Are "soft" tech jobs useless?
tech companies, are positions like:
-> Project/program Managers
-> "User Experience" Designers
-> Scrum masters

Just fucking useless and meaningless compared to developers and engineers who do the real work?
>>
Phoebe Sopperworth - Sun, 06 Nov 2016 13:16:21 EST 0sA0VIGH No.36283 Reply
Really good project managers and UX designers are pretty damn valuable, but the rub is in finding the good ones. Just like there are shitloads of script kiddies and framework fanboys applying for senior/lead dev positions, there are tons of wannabe project managers who have no knowledge of it; and people with a basic knowledge of photoshop who think they can do graphic or UX design. As for dedicated scrum masters, I have yet to see the need.
>>
David Fizzlechatch - Mon, 07 Nov 2016 19:05:24 EST e7bTcYy7 No.36285 Reply
>>36282
UX designers are significantly underrated. But hard to find real good ones.

Any senior dev can double as a project manager while still being a dev. I see no need for a separate role and I think its better to have the managers actually work on the project and know about the internals.

Don't know what scrum master is but it sounds like bs tbh.
>>
Edwin Greenson - Tue, 08 Nov 2016 12:19:25 EST ftzGhvag No.36289 Reply
>>36285
It is; scrum masters are basically mini-project managers but without a project.
They're supposed to make sure there are no impediments to the dev/test team in their day to day work outside of projects. They're also supposed to chair the endless meetings, retrospectives, etc that come with working 'agile'.
>>
David Bettingledge - Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:43:58 EST JZcEMGRf No.36333 Reply
Developers are educated to be quantifiable and disposable, what tech companies need are people who do the right things the right way, communicate effectively to achieve a goal inside an organisation without pissing everyone off/underworking their subordinates and not people who are, like, really into node.js or contributing to emacs code on the side or something
>>
Archie Honeyfoot - Mon, 28 Nov 2016 17:39:02 EST 4hhePhsQ No.36337 Reply
My schools curriculum briefly went over Waterfall and then focused on agile/scrum for the remainder of the year.
I hope it was worth it.
>>
George Geshnirk - Mon, 28 Nov 2016 19:32:27 EST c9gFFBFz No.36339 Reply
my work paid way too much for me to spend two days high as fuck in a Marriott becoming a scrum master. My work uses waterfall and I don't think most of my coworkers (or manager for that matter) even know what scrum is. I think this sort of inefficiency is due to being (indirectly) payed by taxpayers and making murder rocket software for The Man, who takes longer to update to the latest version than we take to develop two
>>
Lydia Pickwill - Mon, 28 Nov 2016 23:04:36 EST e7bTcYy7 No.36341 Reply
>>36339
Gov pays the leach to make murder rocket software. Leach pays politician to make Gov pay him more money. Leach slows production for more money without fear of losing contract. Steady tax payer income for the leach. Some trickles down to you.

Nb
>>
Cedric Grandshaw - Tue, 13 Dec 2016 07:29:17 EST 2SsDO2ou No.36365 Reply
>>36339
>My work uses waterfall
I would place money on this not being the truth, unless you work in defence.
The name 'Waterfall' was conceived by someone writing a book/paper saying 'hey, look at this (mostly) hypothetical shit way of working, no one does this, we do other things'.

Pure waterfall means that if you find a bug after you shipped, then that bug will never be fixed. LOL2BAD SUX2BU.
Agile is a set of rules that almost no one 'working Agile™' follows to the letter, but the basic gist is, plan a short piece of the larger work, do it, review how it went, then repeat the next bit until you're done or run out of time/money.

SCRUM is a proscribed set of meetings that help you 'be Agile™'.
Both are management techniques that don't really need non-developers involved but junior project managers are now called scrum masters to make them feel better about their worthless existence.
>>
Cedric Grandshaw - Tue, 13 Dec 2016 07:32:18 EST 2SsDO2ou No.36366 Reply
>>36339
>>36365
So I completely missed the fact you say you work in the defence/murder sector.
Still not strictly pure waterfall I'll bet. I used to train rocket/radar/C2 guys how to write good software. Mostly intelligent and decent people, shame they use their brains thinking of better way to kill people...
>>
Clara Tillingshaw - Wed, 14 Dec 2016 10:10:32 EST gA3E5l0l No.36367 Reply
>>36366
Somehow we have all the resources in the world to kill people better but when it comes to keeping them alive it is impossible to get funding. Humanity is in the middle a protracted mass suicide.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.