Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

where to start?

- Tue, 15 Nov 2016 21:01:50 EST fItQgQqz No.36297
File: 1479261710490.jpg -(32631B / 31.87KB, 447x456) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. where to start?
i have no experience with programming besides basic ugly HTML and would really like to get deep into it (not for career purposes, just curious) and was wondering what are good resources that you used/wish you had when you started? i'm really really trying to grasp this stuff but i feel like it keeps slipping right though my fingers
>>
Simon Bennermig - Wed, 16 Nov 2016 13:50:08 EST uJY5Antv No.36299 Reply
codecademy.com is good, you can work through the Python course in maybe 10-15 hours and learn a ton.
>>
Edward Hepperforth - Wed, 16 Nov 2016 17:12:31 EST fItQgQqz No.36305 Reply
>>36299
>>36298
thanks dudes i started the python codeacademy it's helping me alot but i'm terrible at maths
>>
Lydia Pickwill - Mon, 28 Nov 2016 23:07:11 EST e7bTcYy7 No.36342 Reply
STOP EVERYTHING!
READ SICP!
>>
Doris Hunderford - Tue, 29 Nov 2016 09:35:00 EST o7NpBz5X No.36343 Reply
>>36342
Have you read SICP? If you're not joking I'd like to hear your rationale on using the text and learning Lisp. I'm not opposed to doing either of those things, but if you're not just repeating a meme then I'd enjoy hearing more about it.
>>
Eugene Soshwater - Fri, 02 Dec 2016 17:36:57 EST sGFR0zid No.36350 Reply
>>36305

I think this idea that every programmer needs to know advanced math is a bit off the mark, to be honest. My uncle got his undergrad in computer science at MIT, he said he took 4 semesters of calculus and never used it once his entire career.
>>
Walter Hizzledock - Fri, 02 Dec 2016 18:02:47 EST yqqu9byF No.36351 Reply
>>36350
The reason people have that perception is because we are teaching math in a bad order due to politics and tradition. Elementary calculus should be an advanced topic, especially for computer science majors. The important basics to get down are category theory, set theory, group theory, and number theory. It is truly fucked up that we teach people calculus when they don't even know what a real number is or anything about set theory. The topics I listed would give a student a solid foundation for understanding topics which they can apply in the real world. Calculus has its place but for many students the effort is wasted entirely and those who need it would benefit from knowing what the hell they are talking about the first time around. Just because some "godlike genius" did calculus informally (and fucked up a lot) 400 years ago doesn't mean that we have to keep doing things that way.
>>
Fanny Gobbernot - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 04:15:01 EST mfkLzG/S No.36404 Reply
1482570901619.png -(312452B / 305.13KB, 640x974) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>36350
No, he uses those skills every single day.

They make you learn all that abstract math and proofs for a reason, it's to change the way you think. Education isn't always about filling a bucket with facts it's also about altering your cognitive abilities. We can all agree that CS is basically solving problems using logic and abstraction with computation right? That's exactly what all that math teaches you.

You can also use some of it if you're doing any kind of graphics programming and numerous other fields of course, esp Linear Algebra which I use every single day and all I had to do was read Sheldon Axler's LA book to do it.

My advice for OP is go on Abe Books, and BUY the following (they are dirt cheap used copies):

• The Schemer's Guide
  • The Computational Beauty of Nature
  • Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
  • The Little Schemer
  • The Seasoned Schemer
  • Velleman's How to Prove it
  • SICP (or read it for free)
  • EoPL http://www.eopl3.com/ though try to get the first edition
  • The C programming Language 2nd edition
  • Skeina's The Algorithm Design Manual

These are litmus tests and introduce you to future advanced material you will be doing in CS if you like it. You do the Schemers Guide in pen and paper, no computer needed. If you finish all of the above go and pick up The Little Schemer. That's also done in pen and paper. That book literally changes your thinking, it's freaky when you finish and you find yourself with newly recursive thinking patterns. No I'm not making this up, try the book and see.

You are almost ready for SICP, but to finish some of the exercises, you will need to read Velleman's "How to Prove it: A Structured Approach" which again is pen and paper. You will immediately recognize all the axioms you read in the G,E,B book. You will in fact probably reopen the book and reread Gödel's incompleteness theorems again. Now you can solve that SICP exercise where it asks you to write a proof, because you want to fully do and solve ALL THE EXERCISES this is how you learn.

Finally, EoPL will give you a complete overview of programming languages, using Lisp, which every single language except Fortran is built from (C, Javascript, everything). This means you now know the inner workings of all existing languages. The first edition has some crazy continuation passings type theory going on you want to see they cut out for later editions.

The C Programming Lang you can read in a weekend, in fact many famous people have including The Zuck. It helps you to understand Skeina's Algorithm book. Anyway, this is how you get deep into programming, to fully grok it.

If you end up liking C, you need a lot more work to do anything in it safely such as reading CS:APP 3/e by Bryant and O'Hallaron, SEI CERT C Coding Standard by Seacord, The Art of Software Security Assessment, and C Interfaces and Implementations. Or you can just use Guile, which is a Scheme that compiles to C meaning you avoid all the above problems those books cover.
>>
Fanny Gobbernot - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 04:23:08 EST mfkLzG/S No.36405 Reply
>>36404
I wrote all that on a tiny phone screen so it's kind of jumbled and makes no sense. Anyway read that list of books, you will grok programming fully and completely. For bonus points, get the book: An Introduction to Functional Programming Through Lambda Calculus to really spike the football.
>>
Shit Benderspear - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 18:59:01 EST 9QSfnS0r No.36406 Reply
>>36404

Look the meme programmer is back this isn't the old textboard /prog/, which is still around, so join your fellow outlaws from 4chan.
>>
Fanny Clongerstock - Sun, 25 Dec 2016 08:02:41 EST nBZoNZP6 No.36407 Reply
>>36404
Implying you even did any of this you scrub.
lisp is a meme, fuck functional programming
>>
George Fiblingchut - Mon, 26 Dec 2016 03:50:03 EST mfkLzG/S No.36412 Reply
>>36407
>a meme

There are 2 languages.

Fortran based and LISP based.

If you learn one of them you know them all, Clojure, Java, C, Haskell, guess which lang they are from?
>>
Charlotte Hundlewell - Wed, 28 Dec 2016 11:43:57 EST FNUGTkco No.36418 Reply
1482943437588.jpg -(60780B / 59.36KB, 529x529) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>36412

Scotty, give me maximum pretentiousness.
>>
Henry Pickspear - Thu, 29 Dec 2016 20:39:18 EST 29ygicdt No.36432 Reply
>>36307

was expecting you to say "practice", made me lol

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.