Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

New to C++

- Mon, 12 Dec 2016 00:11:42 EST bQwdXCse No.36361
File: 1481519502615.jpg -(37105B / 36.24KB, 433x455) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. New to C++
I recently bought a "C++ for dummies" book and although some of the aspects are confusing I am able to write pretty simplistic programs and arduino code.

Anyone else new to programming? Any suggestions on books?
>>
Emma Ducklebot - Mon, 12 Dec 2016 14:01:56 EST 9QSfnS0r No.36362 Reply
C++ is a horrible beginner language, in stark contrast to C which is the one language every newbie should learn.
The reason behind this C++'s approach to object oriented programming is very verbose and pretty much forces you to do "everything right" in order for code to work.

Arduino on the other hand is the best way to learn the basics in relation to C and while the Arduino libraries itself are written in C++ you'd have a hard time extending them if you never wrote a C++ application on the PC.
To get around the chicken and the egg problem here I'd suggest you learn python in addition to Arduino. That gives you more synergies than you might think. While you can't run your python code on your Ardunio board you can use python to generate data to be imported in your sketches which you want once you do something interesting with it.
You can learn the basics of object orientated programming in python just by writing command line tools that generate Arduino sketches.
And then once you have a semi-sophisticated class hierarchy you can start porting it to native C++ and platformio.
>>
Charles Snodshit - Tue, 13 Dec 2016 00:00:22 EST 3D/aGuqG No.36364 Reply
1481605222943.jpg -(182265B / 177.99KB, 1366x768) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Programming Practices and Principles using C++ by Stroustrup. It's the C++ book the creator of C++ wrote for people learning to program with C++ as their first language. I like the way he writes. It can be found for free online as a pdf.

I don't really agree with the idea that C++ is a bad beginner language. I learned a really old version of Pascal as my first programming language in high school. It had no objects. I went to C++ after a couple months of that. I found myself asking why the teacher that chose Pascal for that class didn't just use C++ without making us create our own classes. Operators, assignment, conditionals, variables, loops, etc all worked the same. When I went to college I took a C++ class and the first 75% only used objects in the standard library. We didn't make our own classes until the end. It was all about variables, conditionals, i/o, etc.

C isn't a bad idea but you can learn C and C++ at the same time with little extra effort. The thing I like about C++ is you can do something in a procedural C style if you want to. I learned to do pure C by programming a PIC microcontroller. I just read the compiler method when I needed to know how to do something that I only knew how to do in C++.

Python is a neat language too. There are tons of libraries and most things can be done by importing that library. In addition swig allows you to use C/C++ code and classes in python. So any computationally intensive stuff can benefit from the speed of compiled code.

I wouldn't think either C/C++ or Python would be a bad choice as a beginner language. At the beginner level it's mainly get fluid in those basics of i/o, expressions, variables, conditionals, loops etc. Pascal, Python, C, and C++ all stay out of your way when doing that. C# and Java makes you do it inside a class but really you just copy and paste the boilerplate and it stays out of your way. Really just pick one and stick to it and you're doing better than most people.

>although some of the aspects are confusing
Anything in particular you need help on?

Also for me this is indispensable when programming c++.
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/
A lot of it won't make sense if you're new. It's not for learning it's for remembering things you forgot. Like if you learn how to do something in the standard library and get foggy on the details or syntax you'll be able to figure it out very quickly. Like I forget formatting flags for cout all the time and just pick them up there. I keep it mirrored on my hdd in case the internet isn't available.
>>
Killian - Wed, 14 Dec 2016 12:50:40 EST bQwdXCse No.36368 Reply
>>36364
Great info in your reply, i'll check out that pdf.

The past few days I haven't done much studying... I've done the simple stuff like "Hello world" led arduino code, editing the text in my cmd prompt, and gone over some the motor commands and stuff...

I'm basically wanting to make an app that alerts users to and stops cell phone hacking. I'd like to also make a "Panic Button" app for phones making it send email and text to 6 selected people to alert them when something's happened.

All very interesting stuff.
>>
Albert Mullerstock - Wed, 14 Dec 2016 19:29:23 EST N76uCdVs No.36370 Reply
1481761763801.png -(364728B / 356.18KB, 454x603) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>36368
Android are typically done in Java. You can do it in C/C++. If I understand right you call the C++ from Java which means you can just copy and paste a Java boilerplate and call your program from Java. It should be higher performing since there's no virtual machine emulation or garbage collecting but I don't think your ideas require that edge. Java and Python are pretty similar to C++ in syntax. There big differences are deeper than syntax but ideas map pretty easily from one to the other.

Iphones are programmed in Swift. It looks C like to me in syntax but some of the stuff in the snippets on their page looks weird. It's not hard to follow just different than the other languages mentioned.

https://developer.android.com/ndk/index.html
https://developer.apple.com/swift/

The panic button app is probably a good project for you. It's straight forward and most likely just requires getting familiar with the platform. Like looking up how to let the user enter who they want to text and email and how to send email and text from a program.

The anti-hacking program is too ambitious I think. You're effectively writing an antivirus program. Those have teams of programmers working all the time looking for new attacks in the wild, running the attacks in sandboxes to figure out how they work, and then coming up with a way to detect and stop them. When I used antivirus they isssued updates often. A couple a week. Even with all of that the programs are not known as being good at their job. Even if you got really good at programming and then got really knowledgeable at this specialty I think this would be out of your reach unless you got a bunch of guys interested in collaborating.

If there's a handful of common attacks that are a big problem you could probably do that. Hacking is a cat and mouse game with lots of mice. It's going to take a lot of cats.
>>
Basil Pittlock - Thu, 15 Dec 2016 10:11:14 EST jBUuK8w/ No.36371 Reply
>I'm basically wanting to make an app that alerts users to and stops cell phone hacking.

You wat?
>>
Killian - Thu, 15 Dec 2016 18:22:14 EST bQwdXCse No.36372 Reply
>>36371
Why support hackers... they give gifts only to -... their color mutation wickedness and stupidity makes me want nothing to do with them basically... even if they gave me %100 mutation I would still look the other way during their death.... they only evolve to be idiots anyways...

Like I dunno innocence thought it could survive before a hacker started deathing them because no one told the hacker that the innocence invented it's own word and no -d the word from the "User" then uhhh deathed USER because "That no the word the hacker taught you..." Teach 1 moment 1 a word you invent + 1 moment 1 inventing a word ='s time traveling hackers to go fucking crazy deathing innocence for no reason other than "That no the word I taught 'em"

Seriously why would I want a stupid color +ing hacker like that In my home... and does he really believe I wouldn't death his color +ing mutant ass for treason of Moment 1? Does hackers and the inventor of color no believe he would shove stargates in their dead bodies and push + death of the inventor of illusions, the inventor of colors... the inventor of time travel?

"All time travelers fail and fall via their own grand design."
>>
Killian - Thu, 15 Dec 2016 18:25:07 EST bQwdXCse No.36373 Reply
>>36372

It wouldn't really be all that sad if the inventors of google, facebook, and 420chan were found all dead... no one gave you permission to track my location... inventors cut up... ending in their face being chopped up with stargates in their bodies Pushing the buttons that really PISS THEM OFF...

I don't like the inventor of stargates, portals, color, internet... Because you all take so much and give so little... you don't bring emotional support to youth you simply - while wishing hopeing preying that it is no me talking to you.
>>
Edward Bittingpudge - Thu, 15 Dec 2016 20:02:15 EST kHhxMTEA No.36374 Reply
1481850135540.png -(114165B / 111.49KB, 660x1010) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>36372
>That feel when you get possessed by the spirit of netjester, pbuh.
>>
Killian - Sat, 17 Dec 2016 15:01:40 EST bQwdXCse No.36377 Reply
>>36373
Sometimes what you + just isn't financially what I want... That's why our group has declined to accept any gifts from stargate +ing technology builders...

Your technology, your wholes in time space are too dangerious and if some of you had it your way you'd be pushing other peoples buttons all day wishing someone would find an innocence body their only to death it while 100% space +ing rapid growth mutants beg for the space of moment 1 + praying that moment one never sees all the innocence rapidgrowth mutants death.

So what ever.
>>
Martin Sesslebury - Sat, 17 Dec 2016 20:35:57 EST V5hbNNkO No.36381 Reply
>>36377
Get off the Internet, Terry Davis. You're drunk and crazy.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.