Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

database

- Mon, 22 May 2017 09:22:58 EST zPn+Vj4S No.36964
File: 1495459378981.png -(596449B / 582.47KB, 1024x552) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. database
hi to everyone,
do you know a source where i can learn relational database theory easily?
thanks in advance
>>
Doris Blatherstock - Sun, 04 Jun 2017 02:22:53 EST HC1vVHLz No.37030 Reply
Yes, CMU
http://db.cs.cmu.edu/courses/

The beginner courses are only slides/pdfs, but the "advanced" (it's not that advanced) course has full lectures on youtube.
>>
Priscilla Babbercocke - Sun, 04 Jun 2017 08:09:41 EST p6i2oGw1 No.37036 Reply
The manga guide to databases is half decent, but my favorite book is Toon Koppelaar and Lex de Haan's Applied mathematics for database professionals. A pdf version is easily found online.

I also recommend you read Codd's paper A relational model of data for large shared data banks. Read it, look up the words, reread it until you get it. Then read it a few more times.

It's useful to understand hierarchical, network, relational and ER data models, to be able to distinguish them and translate data models between them. The meaning of terms like entity, relationship and relation depend on the particular data model you're using. Every online blog and tutorial will teach you a mismash of concepts mostly based on the old network data model but call it ER modeling. If you want to understand the real entity-relationship model, read Chen's paper The entity-relationship model - toward a unified view of data.

CJ Date's An introduction to databases is like the reference bible, but I'm not sure it's the best starting point.

Don't bother with Wikipedia, it's overcomplicated and not very accurate. Ignore blogs, online tutorials (hurr tutorialspoint), product documentation, etc. Ignore anything that mentions OOP / classes.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.