Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Resume/portfolio project ideas?

- Tue, 30 Jul 2019 16:20:32 EST R9gxgrMh No.37940
File: 1564518032365.jpg -(36331B / 35.48KB, 700x700) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Resume/portfolio project ideas?
I just got my CS bachelors, and I'd like to get some personal projects under my belt before I apply to places.

What are some good ideas for software projects for a new graduate?
>>
Nell Bengerpod - Tue, 30 Jul 2019 23:30:45 EST 6TmFkC01 No.37943 Reply
Make something that you think would be useful/interesting to people such as yourself.
>>
Shit Besslesare - Tue, 30 Jul 2019 23:43:38 EST kS0TbkzU No.37945 Reply
>>37944
I should have noted in the OP that I have some finished work, I'm just looking for more ideas. Something with machine learning would be appreciated.
>>
Jenny Ponkinspear - Wed, 31 Jul 2019 13:34:52 EST ZvZHQMT3 No.37947 Reply
>didn't have job lined up before graduating

n'wah what are you doing

Most places don't care about your personal projects, at all. They care about your work/intern history way more.

If you aren't working immediately after graduating then you're automatically suspicious for having a gap in your resume.
>>
Ian Suvingshit - Wed, 31 Jul 2019 13:56:00 EST Fz9cZT1R No.37948 Reply
>>37947
I have some intern experience, but I guess we'll see what happens.
>>
Reuben Sodgetune - Wed, 31 Jul 2019 21:14:28 EST a9BpE8FS No.37949 Reply
>>37947
Depends on the personal project.

The bar, however is quite high afik:
Either you have to make a significant contribution to a open source project or if not it should be good enough to potentially run a side business based on it.
>>
Edward Hollerwell - Thu, 15 Aug 2019 09:19:58 EST 0u7XtIRD No.37970 Reply
>>37940
Really, I just found some problems or ceoncepts that interested me and started from there.

Even before I started my CS, I had written a small program that read out hardware information from the computer in C# with a sprinkle of x86 assembly... basically a CPU-Z clone with a few extra features. I've considered updating that one a bit with a few new things i've learned since.

Something that interacts with external hardware or homemade electronics. This can be anything from a small Arduino project to something entirely homemade that interacts in some way with the PC or another type of computer, like a smartphone.

Making a few small, simple games are also an option. It can be an excellent way to learn how to manipulate graphics quickly and manage system resources. Demonstrating simple AI algorithms like pathfinding can be well packaged in a game.

Anything that can parse and manipulate vast amounts of data quickly. Many businesses out there have huge databases of finances and statistics that need to be boiled down and shown in a simple manner. Again, certain hardware, like GPUs can be harnessed to accelerate this.

Something that automates a task in your home...

A simple AI that can recognize text or image components.

Taking an existing solution, like an API or server component and improving upon the workflow somehow... it can also be a simple, but useful UI for said API.

A simple robot project like a smartphone-controlled RC car or drone.

Really, the possibilities are endless... the hard part is always figuring out where to start :)

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.