Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Subject
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich


Harm Reduction Notes for the COVID-19 Pandemic

Critical thinking and Logical fallacy cards

View Thread Reply
- Wed, 27 Mar 2019 08:26:30 EST 55/SlMlx No.209635
File: 1553689590542.jpg -(190903B / 186.43KB, 750x500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Critical thinking and Logical fallacy cards
Sorry for posting a reaquest here. But I was wondering if sombody could post a scan of some (or all) of the deck of critical thinking logical fallacy cards from https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/. (I'm from Straya and the P+H is over $40 and well, fuck that.
Also, Please tell me about your favourite logical falacy and give examples of times where you've seen it.
1 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
Isabella Hipperfit - Thu, 28 Mar 2019 16:36:42 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209637 Reply
You know that you can just download a pdf of all the cards straight from their own website, right? They ask for a donation but you can just give them nothing and still download it.

12 rules for life

View Thread Reply
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 01:34:22 EST kbqhsVlv No.209498
File: 1539581662436.jpg -(13754B / 13.43KB, 650x365) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 12 rules for life
what a joke. How the fuck does this guy get a way with it? Somehow he got smilies, litteral colon-close-bracket's - :) - past the editor and in the forward he is cited as "one of the world's most influential public thinkers". A housemate happened to leave this book lying around so I started reading it but fuck me it's trash. The first chapter which goes on at waffling lengths about lobsters and other animals can be summarised as "don't let people fuck you over".
Is there something i'm missing here?
27 posts and 10 images omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
Frederick Shittingville - Tue, 19 Mar 2019 02:20:17 EST Pl6rJWm9 No.209627 Reply
Never paid him much attention but he is very pervasive and the way algorithms work in this day and age means watching 1 JRE podcast will lead to 100 pimp MRA MGTOW video recommendations on youtube. It is sickening and blatantly obvious how people get so easily radicalized now but whatever.

I don't agree with his weird relationship he contrives with IQ and life success and enjoyment. Apparently having a high IQ means you'll have a happy and successful life. I disagree with both from my experience. Maybe he has stats but I've never seen them nor has he discussed them in what I've seen. More intelligence leads to great or macro depression in my experience. IQ-poor types get far more emotional it seems and may have further extremes of unhappiness but it seems readily evident; the smarter one is, the more likely they will be a life-long depressive. Success is also meaningless in his context because he seems to apply it to job placement as if being in a neuroscience field makes you more successful than a landscaper.

That is the most off putting thing I've seen from him and it is about the only thing I've seen from him. For him to also be a clinical psychologist, I think he does his works a disservice by appealing to god so much as well. I don't think you have to be an atheist but his religious beliefs seem to influence his work far too much. I've noticed he likes to make the connection between living a meaningful life and being spiritual on some level. He just generally seems to be big on self-help psychology and I think that field in general comes with a lot of horseshit.

>I also don't like any appeals to god or higher authority in general.
>>
Phyllis Dambleman - Wed, 20 Mar 2019 08:20:56 EST OaolgcgK No.209628 Reply
1553084456368.jpg -(61498B / 60.06KB, 1200x628) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
lol he's selling lobster themed clothes now
>>
Reuben Brookwill - Wed, 20 Mar 2019 18:30:10 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209629 Reply
>>209628
See, lobsters have like, serotonin, so I'm supposed to be an asshole.

/pss/ing away the days

View Thread Reply
- Wed, 25 Jul 2018 18:05:45 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209417
File: 1532556345180.jpg -(37418B / 36.54KB, 600x400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. /pss/ing away the days
Why is it that the only two modes on /pss/ are:
>>Being blown out the ass by endless streams of trans and helicopter ride baiting

or

>>Dead fucking silence

Are ennui and schadenfreude of such outsized value in our decadent collapsing imagewest that the only reason we can be arsed to slap our keyboards is if it hurts another miserable inhabitard? feelslikebatmantheanimatedseries
8 posts and 2 images omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
Graham Wondletotch - Tue, 11 Dec 2018 15:45:44 EST 8gq7GAVV No.209603 Reply
>>209601
>no, instead, you’re taught to see the world exactly how someone like Descartes would see the world.

What kind of shit minors did you follow if you just got formed into a Descartes 2.0?
>>
Lillian Mablingnun - Thu, 13 Dec 2018 22:02:00 EST EAaZgnMX No.209606 Reply
>>209602
You make a decent point, and I absolutely take into account what you are saying, but your point really doesn't contradict my point, as I was talking about everyone debating, not just professionals/masters on the subjects being debated. And you know why I'm more interested in everyone and not just the professionals? Because everyone has power, everyone has a vote in things like Democracy, everyone matters, not just the most genius.

>Because no one knows everything, clearly no one can have an intellectual debate.
No, but they can at the very least pull together most of what humanity knows on a subject, in terms of scientific data or historical data, before espousing their strong opinions. As an example, let's say something has occured hundreds of times in history with varying outcomes, yet someone pulls one or two examples of a time a certain outcome occurred, and then they make a broad sweeping statement, like 'this always leads to that! Look at my real examples! This is fact and logic!'

>Genuine intellectual discourse does occur!
Yeah, it does, at the very highest level, like two CERN scientists having a discussion. But the common man? The arm-chair intellectual, aka like 99% of people arguing on the internet? Zero intellectual conversations in their entire lifetime of making opinionated posts, probably.

See, this is one of the very examples I was talking about; you have one take on the idea, and you've got this whole big opinion based on it. You did everything in your power to make a point, but that point is based on very few intellectual points; the idea that intellectual discourse happens somewhere, and the idea that there are possibly infinite unknown unknowns. But did you stop and think about anything I just said? If you did, your answer sure doesn't show it. Like, right now we're not even having an intellectual discourse, you're just trying to disprove my statement, and you found 2 tiny ideas you decided to hurl in that direction.
>>
Nigel Pickfuck - Thu, 28 Feb 2019 20:37:43 EST em8IEj9O No.209611 Reply
>>209606
>right now we're not even having an intellectual discourse, you're just trying to disprove my statement
This is a common happening on chans in general I think. I think 420chan has the unique benefit of drugs occasionally pushing people out of those patterns, if that makes any sense.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

View Thread Reply
- Mon, 08 Oct 2018 00:29:08 EST 4G6UWnoK No.209484
File: 1538972948176.gif -(405203B / 395.71KB, 499x370) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck
>Brother has personality disorder
>Diagnosed bipolar but it's definitely antisocial (sociopath), and probably narcissistic too.
>He's owed me money for like four years now. Spends every extra cent he gets on super strong weed and video games.
>Excuse is he's so depressed. He convinced his doctor to give him a high dose of antidepressants which make his manic symptoms worse and more frequent.
>Anytime an issue is brought up he'll go to any lengths to justify his position on the matter. He'll stand there and talk at full volume at you, for hours of you let him, until you admit defeat or do something to piss him off enough for him to leave you alone. He doesn't take advice from anyone. Weed, depending on the strain, just makes him more excited/agitated.
>He just came home raving about his newest idea he won't go through with, acting like he's on meth.

He's only gotten worse over the years. I know the solution is to move away (but I'd feel a little bad because I'm pretty much his only friend). I'm mostly just venting here. I guess if anyone else has any ideas that would be cool.
15 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
Hamilton Choffinghirk - Fri, 09 Nov 2018 20:27:06 EST VBH3q3ZR No.209567 Reply
>>209566
>My god you have gotten huffy over this haven't you?
I'm just slightly pissy that you're claiming to be an expert and not explaining anything. I'm asking because I genuinely find this stuff interesting and I want to figure out if I should believe you or not. It's all good man

>I can see how it might if you don't understand the way technical terms are being used
It's a problem with sources. They are being used wrongly in the first place and I'm just trying to figure out what is the right way to use them. Pretty much any article/diagram that isn't an actual scientific study seems full of shit because they all say something different about the subject and tend to contradict eachother. I don't know if there is a proper website or textbook or something to go by without going to university, but there were literally several websites and infographics with completely wrong information according to you. Wikipedia would have honestly been a better source than trying to read all this wannabe psychology clickbait.

> It's worth noting that psychologists don't really use the terms psychopath or sociopath for this reason
Is it possible that these concepts are not only confusing but just not properly defined in the first place? I wouldn't use them either and I like what you said about psychosis and neurosis. Like I said in my original post I think a lot of these "disorders" are BS , at least in the way they are commonly used, and a lot of "professionals" using the terms don't seem to have any real insight into issue which it seems like we're both trying to do here.

>When the distinction between psychopathy and sociopathy was coined by George Partridge...
The rest of your post is the kind of answers I was hoping to get. Thank you. I might have more to say later but you've given me stuff to look into.
>>
Betsy Brookham - Sat, 10 Nov 2018 19:16:20 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209568 Reply
>>209567
Thanks mate, was really just trying to steer you toward a more proper understanding of the material you were trying to engage. I realize if I had just said what I said without mentioning the spoiler, it would have gone over easier because everyone is inherently hostile to claims of expert knowledge online, even if it happens to be true.

>>Wikipedia would have honestly been a better source
Wikipedia is actually good and its sad how often it is dunked on now. If anyone is ever doubting the quality of a wiki article, check out the discussion page. If its a constant edit war (like a lot of the psychology entries are) the odds are its a pretty good article. Stay far away from shit like Psychology Today and its clones which are full of 'eat pray love' feel-good bullshit. Also be highly suspicious of people claiming 'if you have this...this means that', when you see fake psychologists they will act like they can tell the weather from if you were grumpy two weeks ago, whereas real psychologists are very circumspect, like proper scientists...'there seems to be a slight correlation...statistically this could match our theoretical construct...but more study is needed and x y z are ways this material could be misinterpreted' kinda stuff. Its hard, but the more time you spend studying the literature of any science the easier time you will have telling the real stuff from pretenders...almost universally the latter claims it can tell you more about everything, the former claims it can tell you very little about a specific thing.

>>Is it possible that these concepts are not only confusing but just not properly defined in the first place
Positively that's the reason. They were never properly defined, and when psychologists tried to rigorously define them, they found they couldn't, because they aren't distinct psychological phenomena but colloquially defined clusters of other phenomena. They're really more of a social or legal concept, like the notion of 'criminally insane' which, of course, is a legal, not scientific idea.

>> I might have more to say later but you've given me stuff to look into.
Good luck!
>>
Samuel Turveyhood - Sun, 25 Nov 2018 07:07:24 EST UsYodcqs No.209591 Reply
His personality is what antidepressants do to people at high doses.

"Nothing can be changed except ourselves"

View Thread Reply
- Sun, 04 Nov 2018 13:01:29 EST LdHLS4vG No.209555
File: 1541354489548.jpg -(20956B / 20.46KB, 355x355) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. "Nothing can be changed except ourselves"
As someone who's wanted to change the world, let's talk about the subject. Is it a valid statement? Why or why not?
6 posts and 2 images omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
Matilda Sinkinwell - Fri, 16 Nov 2018 05:04:32 EST VBH3q3ZR No.209574 Reply
You can change both yourself and society. Do you not have a brain, arms, legs, mouth, and hands?. Who/what do you want to change and why? To achieve this does this require you to change yourself first, or to change society first, or only one of these? These tidy little motivational quotes annoy the fuck out of me and require specific context to have any use whatsoever.

What is your fucking goal? What are the steps required to get there? Mystics like to turn common sense into fucking rocket science.

I would generally agree however that most people who want to change the world are not remotely ready to make a difference until they evolve as people. You must empower yourself before you can have the power to change things, and you must fully recognize what it is that you want to change.
>>
Sophie Crorrywell - Mon, 19 Nov 2018 03:30:23 EST XqsBUz5h No.209584 Reply
The world will change only if you change yourself.
Just take it easy and accept that shit is as it is, and you won't chanve the world, however by changing yourself the world will change around you.
>>
Sophie Crorrywell - Mon, 19 Nov 2018 03:36:58 EST XqsBUz5h No.209585 Reply
1542616618532.jpg -(491776B / 480.25KB, 2048x1536) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>209572
I think a lot of us here are in that boat mate, but don't forget that people felt lije that before with probably better reasons. Shit might get wild for a while but you shouldn't give in to the darkness. Be carefull with media, they show the world in a very negative state and are thus co-responsible for feeding anger and despair into the hearts and minds of the people. My guess is to try and educate people and to have open and calm conversations, but i'm saying this who has become quite the social hermit lately.

YOU AND ME BABY WE'RE NOTHING BUT MAMMALS SO LETS DO IT LIKE THEY DO ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL[%/]

Psychology

View Thread Reply
- Fri, 16 Nov 2018 08:38:44 EST pMfGENvq No.209575
File: 1542375524876.png -(48854B / 47.71KB, 454x478) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Psychology
Hey! Could anyone take this 5-10 minute survey to aid me with research for my thesis? It’s quite interesting, easy to complete and completely anonymous! I will be posting results when I have all of the participants that I need! All nationalities welcome! Thanks in advance!

https://docs.google.com/forms/u/1/d/1ml9H-dmG4jOI31EOEIPBH5b00PLxAgvXKP5iJXyR-TM
2 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
Matilda Sinkinwell - Fri, 16 Nov 2018 11:00:17 EST VBH3q3ZR No.209578 Reply
Also good job posting your survey to sites full of trolls such as forchan genius
>>
Matilda Sinkinwell - Fri, 16 Nov 2018 11:33:53 EST VBH3q3ZR No.209579 Reply
Lol. I started to fill in the craziest answers possible and I realized this thing is literally trying to label me a school shooter. I didn't submit
>>
Graham Honkintirk - Sat, 17 Nov 2018 15:15:11 EST ZGNH5R/T No.209580 Reply
>>209575
1701 year old Denobulan Trisexual cogenitor gender reporting in. I just drew Guitar Hero charts for my answers.

Youtube Philosophy

View Thread Reply
- Sun, 30 Sep 2018 22:33:32 EST zh7QJYof No.209476
File: 1538361212768.png -(313519B / 306.17KB, 600x372) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Youtube Philosophy
Lately I've been looking at video essays on youtube. It's a pretty fun genre and it's useful for taking a break from reading all the time. Have you got any interesting youtube channels about philosophy? I would rather that it wasn't divulgation (like Kant's philosophy in 3 minutes or something like that) but rather something original, though soundly philosophically grounded.

Contrapoints - Marxist trans girl, who's sort of anti-rationalist. She studied philosophy and neurosciences. Pretty fun stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ContraPoints

Zero Books - Publisher of Mark Fisher, among others. Really critical of Peterson, and really into Vaporwave. Lots of popular cultural critique.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyoQK-mZXr2ws4C0nXGCH1w

stallion Philosophy - Still has really few videos, but they are fun and well researched. Cultural critique and capitalist realism. Their last video on World music is really good.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSkzHxIcfoEr69MWBdo0ppg/videos
>>
Thomas Gangerworth - Tue, 09 Oct 2018 18:05:35 EST kbqhsVlv No.209488 Reply
>>209476
not necessarily video essays but if you like the above three you'll probably like this one too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6dZvcECIrk Sissyphus Redeemed. He doesn't seem to post videos anymore but the channel is still there and he is a very smart guy -and not in that joe rogan sophist way.

there's also Destiny https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC554eY5jNUfDq3yDOJYirOQ who unlike SR^ is a complete layman but very aware of it and admits it often, nonetheless he is also a smart guy. Again it's not essays so much, just debates, talking to retarded alt-right.

Three Arrows https://www.youtube.com/feed/subscriptions/UCCT8a7d6S6RJUivBgNRsiYg and Shaun https://www.youtube.com/feed/subscriptions/UCJ6o36XL0CpYb6U5dNBiXHQ are both more proper essay style youtubers but are more about politics than philosophy. Still worth looking at tho. Also HBomberguy https://www.youtube.com/feed/subscriptions/UClt01z1wHHT7c5lKcU8pxRQ which is more focussed on gaming but very entertaining and also responds to the alt right.

thats pretty much all i got

Peace Man

View Thread Reply
- Mon, 30 Jul 2018 17:41:08 EST +6idXd9K No.209421
File: 1532986868323.jpg -(135338B / 132.17KB, 615x615) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Peace Man
Why do people hate pot heads? They aren't bad people?
Are people easily brainwashed?
Are people jealous they can't get the good good?
wat is it?
2 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
Fucking Gorringhudge - Wed, 08 Aug 2018 00:38:02 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209426 Reply
1533703082374.jpg -(18618B / 18.18KB, 236x354) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>209425
>>Weed isnt a lifestyle it shoulf be treated like having a beer.
Yeah people never treat bent out of shape over beer.
>>
Clara Gecklegold - Mon, 03 Sep 2018 01:19:22 EST 4y8q/jLM No.209435 Reply
>>209426
He's still right.

Junkie level potheads are the equivalent of alcoholics and should be looked at as such. I cant stand people who spend every second of life chasing the next hit, just fucking obsessing over their weed like its the only thing in life that fucking matters.
>>
Eugene Brubbernane - Tue, 04 Sep 2018 11:39:59 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209439 Reply
>>209435
Notice how Charles put the category of 'chill and friendly' stoners as 'them' and 'enthusiastic unemployed gamers that get stoned way too much' as 'us.' This is what makes me think Charles is mostly talking to himself and that his projection about adopting the 'attitude' of beer drinkers shows he doesn't know beer drinkers in the same way he thinks he knows 'all stoners' (i.e. his personal clique of buddies and whoever he goes and finds to interact with on the internet...probably places that in some way or another specifically attract 'ausitic' individuals like himself.)

skepnihilosopy

View Thread Reply
- Sun, 29 Jul 2018 16:02:30 EST m46LHA5y No.209420
File: 1532894550027.png -(17722B / 17.31KB, 611x529) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. skepnihilosopy
what is value? what the fuck is value? Define value? what the fuck is it? intrisic, extrinsic, objective, subjective allll tauntologies... I did see anybody define value?
>>
Oliver Clayway - Mon, 30 Jul 2018 17:51:42 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209422 Reply
1532987502447.jpg -(25009B / 24.42KB, 300x259) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Everything is subjective and tautological, if you have a problem with that then philosophy is not for you. All knowledge can only be known from a perspective (and thus is subjective, no matter what anyone else may try to tell you) and it is tautological, because all knowledge or even all definition is interdependent on all other knowledge and definition and has no actual base. The human mind is pic related.

So, with that in mind, what the fuck 'value' is is exactly what it appears to be; a quantitative or qualitative representation of the worth or content of something. This duality comes from the fact that the english word value covers a couple of different meanings: to have a certain quality or worth, or to have an associated mathematical quantity. Both are abstractifications of the concept of worth or contents, but those concepts themselves, like all others, are ultimately subjective tautologies.

On the subject of a diety, some nice writing

View Thread Reply
- Sat, 14 Jul 2018 19:53:25 EST QsklVX/N No.209407
File: 1531612405351.jpg -(57455B / 56.11KB, 1024x794) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. On the subject of a diety, some nice writing
At any rate, I found this "message" in a relatively archaic databank and thought some of you might find it of interest. Then again, I'm often either bemused or startled at the items you find interesting. ....................

It's an article about a believable God

http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal
1 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
mika sha - Mon, 23 Jul 2018 14:57:19 EST vEnuppAu No.209414 Reply
>>209409
He didn't say only violent predators are capable of intelligence, he said they die out before reaching the next "stage| of global consciousness as a race
>>
Hugh Toothood - Mon, 23 Jul 2018 19:25:29 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209415 Reply
>>209414
No, that's the opposite of what is said. I think you need to read it a little more closely.
>>Without exception, intelligent species who gain dominance over their planet do so by becoming the most efficient predators.
>>Unlike the adaptors, who learn the point of cooperation fairly early on, manipulators battle on. And, once all lesser species have been overcome, they are so competitive and predatory that they are compelled to turn in on themselves....r this competition is vital to promote the leap from biological to technological evolution.

You need an arms race in order to make progress.

Your desire to dominate fuels a search for knowledge which the adaptors never acquire.
>>And although your initial desire for knowledge is selfish and destructive, it begins the development of an intellectual self awareness, a form of higher consciousness, which never emerges in any other species.
>> Not even while they are experiencing it, for example, can the intelligent adaptors - your dolphins - express the concepts of Love or Time.
>>
Hugh Toothood - Mon, 23 Jul 2018 19:26:49 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209416 Reply
>>209415
That said, I think your misunderstanding is much closer to the truth than what this article suggests, which may be why you assumed that is what was meant. Violent competition is important for the success of our species, but cooperation is much more vital and more unique to intelligent life.

Uniqueness & Alienation

View Thread Reply
- Mon, 09 Jul 2018 01:14:32 EST yG540JtQ No.209363
File: 1531113272985.jpg -(546490B / 533.68KB, 800x988) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Uniqueness & Alienation
"You -- unique! What thought content is here, what sentence content? None! Whoever wants to deduce a precise thought-content of the Unique as if it were a concept, whoever thinks that with "unique" one has said about you what you are, would show that they believe in phrases, because they don't recognize phrases as phrases, and would also show that they seek specific content in phrases.

You, inconceivable and inexpressible, are the phrase content, the phrase owner, the phrase embodied; you are the who, the one of the phrase. In the unique, science can dissolve into life, in which your this becomes who and this who no longer seeks itself in the word, in the Logos, in the attribute.

The unique in Heaven, which Feuerbach places beside the unique on earth, is the phrase without a phrase-owner. The unique considered here is God. This is the thing that guaranteed that religion would last, that it had the unique at least in thought and as a phrase, that it saw it in Heaven. But the heavenly unique is only a unique in which no one has an interest, whereas Feuerbach instead, whether he likes it or not, is interested in Stirner's unique, because he would have to treat it oddly, if he wanted to chase his own unique from his head. If the heavenly unique were one that existed in its own head rather than in Feuerbach's, it would be difficult to chase this unique from its head."

Feuerbach would separate theology from speculative philosophy, finding in it the key to understanding man's uniqueness from nature even though man is a part of nature, anthropology. For "consciousness is given only in the case of a being to whom his species, his mode of being, is necessarily linked with knowledge. This makes consciousness again into something specifically human, because the animal is not capable of knowing. In being conscious, man knows himself as this conscious being: He is to himself an object of thought. But a being who is an object of his thought; a self-knowing being is also an other-knowing being. Because of this span, knowledge has the character of science: 'Science is the consciousness of species.' "

From the introduction of Fiery Brook, Zawar Hanfi distinguishes animal consciousness from human consciousness: "A caterpillar is confined to the world of a caterpillar; it is a limited being, because given its biological constitution, its instinctual pattern, it cannot transcend the boundaries of its limited world. It cannot make objects foreign to its own world -- and its world is its manifest being -- as the objects of its life-activity. There is no such limitation imposed upon the being of man. The self-expression of his being is neither limited to a particular segment, nor to a particular quality of nature."

"The anthropology of Feuerbach posits a correlation between a being and its object. [...] In this sense, the object is expressive of what a being essentially is; the object to which a subject essentially and necessarily relates himself is nothing except the subject's own, but objective being."

Or as Feuerbach puts it: "man's self-consciousness is his consciousness of the object. One knows the man by the object which reflects his being; the object lets his being appear to you; the object is his manifest being, his true, objective ego. This is true not only of intellectual but also of sensuous [material] objects."
32 posts and 28 images omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
Barnaby Heshfare - Wed, 11 Jul 2018 23:20:21 EST yG540JtQ No.209397 Reply
1531365621421.jpg -(717699B / 700.88KB, 683x900) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Of the post linked to, in >>209396 about ecopsychology, the quote:
>"To make contact with present reality, however, is also to confront the painful feelings that are masked or numbed-out by our technological mode of living. So learning to collectively bear, find meaning in, and move through the suffering we inevitably uncover in the course of counterpractise is essential."
is supposed to have an endquote " at the end of the second sentence there.

And
>That could be group therapy, carthatic events like shows or protests, to take action, to attend carefully to relationships, symbolic rites of passage through different stages of our lives, and honor the growth or sacred unfolding of things, reconnecting with nature outside (the world) and inside (our self), whatever works and seems right.
is my attempt to summarize suggestions from a few pages with my own skew, which both miss plenty of unknown alternatives, to overcome society's overarching apathetic malaise.
>>
Phyllis Covingbod - Thu, 12 Jul 2018 22:17:47 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209401 Reply
1531448267833.jpg -(47448B / 46.34KB, 575x768) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>209396
>>Are you suggesting biological evolution and/or a technologically augmented human?
Definitely a both/and scenario. Although once we start changing our own genome Darwinian forces will act on us on a higher order, I think ultimately we will become more, rather than less, responsive to it. I think human evolution will definitely eventually go the way of merger with the machine, but one not necessarily need think that to believe that as we evolve we will have to become more integrated with our environment, whether as organic, synthetic, or hybrid beings.

>> many of those societies don't view the world as something to control with the right to subjugate it.
Agreed, however, I think we can also see from the history of interaction between peoples at different modes of production (i.e. between hunter-gatherers and agriculturalists, agriculurtalists and industrialists, etc.) that there is a convergent trend in human societies to an 'othering' mode of consciousness, primarily because of the uni-directional nature of technological progress. Even as pre-linguistic hunter gatherers, we might not have had the idea that we had unlimited right to use the land, but for example we believed often that our use of fire was endorsed divinely, and so spread a technology that (minutely by today's standards, but still measurably) set our species on a collision course with environmental calamity (agriculture and the fertility gods of the fertile crescent and its subsequent collapse being another good example.)

However, clearly some myths are better than other to inculcate positive values. Nature abhors a vacuum, and in a valueless system people will cling to the things that provide the cheapest return on their value reward system. It's the responsibility of people who can see the danger in this to instill a positive value system -- even if it means broaching the icky topic of instilling myths (in the ideological, rather than conspiratorial, sense.)

But definitely not exclusively a western phenomena, agreed. The modern west is just the most egregious example in the most advanced stage of a civilization undergoing this process, which is most likely universal.

>> I've gotten that impression during hallucinogenic experiences
FWIW, (and having had the same myself) people have had similar impressions without the aid of hallucinogens, so hopefully there is some truth to it.

>>Wont there always be a divide of self though? The physical separation of our skin from the environment and nothing more...
For human (as in h. sapiens) consciousness, probably yes, definitely. The experience of separation is intrinsic to the perception of the ego, and is a physical structure of the brain that is always there to eventually bring it back, unless it is somehow permanently destroyed (there are interesting head trauma cases related to this.) However I don't think it is an essential condition of consciousness as such, so I think it is not a universal condition. The fact that you can subdue the awareness of this through phenomena like meditation, or hallucinogens, or head trauma, suggest to me that the perception of the distinct self, while undeniably useful in many circumstances, is just another mental program our brains evolved as a survival mechanism, and that often we are at our best when we can turn that perception off and see our connection with the greater whole.

Nowadays, the best ways of accomplishing that are either societal engineering like you're suggesting, which is always difficult because you're trying to induce a new state of consciousness in society while the old one is still in effect, or are methods only useful briefly and are dangerous or difficult, like drugs or mental techniques. In a future where one can program one's own brain state, through nanomachines or advanced drugs or genetic engineering or whatever, one could still be 'human', and yet have absolute control over that sense of self, rather than being beholden to it more or less as we are in our present state. This will naturally facilitate other improvements (although it carries its own dangers, like everything.)

Still, your general point absolutely stands. Without some kind of intervention, human society will always be subject to the divide of self.

>> carthatic events like shows or protests, to take action, [etc]
I think this will be a key part of the revival of …
Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
>>
Cyril Wipperfield - Fri, 13 Jul 2018 04:31:20 EST yG540JtQ No.209406 Reply
1531470680674.jpg -(497230B / 485.58KB, 900x658) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>209401
>Even as pre-linguistic hunter gatherers, we might not have had the idea that we had unlimited right to use the land, but for example we believed often that our use of fire was endorsed divinely, and so spread a technology that (minutely by today's standards, but still measurably) set our species on a collision course with environmental calamity (agriculture and the fertility gods of the fertile crescent and its subsequent collapse being another good example.)
First Nations people used controlled fires to clear brush for growing crops in the wild. Even with technologically limited human people (by our present day standards) specialized and knew how to utilize their environment with the tools available to them, yet had a harmonious understanding of how and why to live as a part of nature.

Collapse is a great book studying past civilizations' factors that led to their calamity. Often it is from a sudden lack unsustaining of a concentration of people. Throughout history civilizations have risen and fallen and within the gaps of knowledge as to why, are many potential reasons. Perhaps revolt, or starvation, and/or migration, certainly a severing of trade (or transportation) of one's necessities.

I'll have to mull over other points, but:
>Nowadays, the best ways of accomplishing that are either societal engineering like you're suggesting, which is always difficult because you're trying to induce a new state of consciousness in society while the old one is still in effect, or are methods only useful briefly and are dangerous or difficult, like drugs or mental techniques.
I think of a heightened state of awareness and altered mode of perspective, or whatever, (sober) in relation to our way of life and other ways of life, is an individual path people choose to follow. Not something you can engineer in people, as if we're not unique with our own realized and unknown self right now. I don't think technology can reveal this awareness or perspective, the same way thinking will.

trans

View Thread Reply
- Thu, 12 Jul 2018 07:12:24 EST VGeeHEV+ No.209399
File: 1531393944776.jpg -(70633B / 68.98KB, 586x680) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. trans
i posted this on /b/ earlier but the thread got locked after a few minutes so i'm coming here

basically i just spent most of yesterday reading articles about transgenderism as a whole

i had a negative perception of the whole thing before but i now realize that the fact that this mess has been allowed to attain the least bit of mainstrean acceptance and credibility is a downright travesty
this is not a medical mistake at the magnitude of lobotomy
it's way worse and if we don't stop this soon thousands of insecure and mentally ill youth will experience a horrible death at the hand of themselves, helped by the legions of psychologists and surgeons who are willing to ignore studies on the subject that very clearly paints a picture of transpeople as having severe psychological problems that will persist even after SRS

before today I thought that it was ok to call transpeople "freaks" and ridicule them
not anymore as i realize doing so would only fuel their movement which i now know has to be stopped at all costs

SRS needs to be banned asap as does transgenderism being classified as anything but the mental illness gender dysphoria

these people (most of whom grow out of this as long as they aren't encouraged to destroy their own bodies) are in dire need of psychiatric help
1 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
Phyllis Covingbod - Thu, 12 Jul 2018 22:42:25 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209403 Reply
>>209399
Dear low quality troll, you have just demonstrated to yourself how easy it is to radicalize yourself reading propaganda that is designed specifically to radicalize you. This is apparently what you are railing against in others...even though you are admitting it is what you just did to yourself.

>>severe psychological problems that will persist even after SRS
people who have open heart surgery still have severe cardiac problems that persist after surgery. Where do you get this idea that a therapy for a problem removes a problem completely?

>>are in dire need of psychiatric help
As a rule, those who make it to SRS have already received hundreds if not thousands of hours of psychiatric help. They're the ones who recommend the procedure. Maybe you should do some research not from totally biased sources so you can at least know what the fuck you're talking about before you declare your little jihad?

It's a good thing society doesn't turn on your little imaginary crusades, because nothing is going to reverse the state of medical care for trans people, and even political attempts to stall progress are faltering in the 'last, best hope' for close-minded reactionaries, 'Murkur, where shadows fall...
>>
Cyril Wipperfield - Fri, 13 Jul 2018 03:57:56 EST yG540JtQ No.209405 Reply
>>209399 My sole thought is of all there is to focus on in the world, why this?
>>
Sophie Beshbedging - Sat, 21 Jul 2018 07:44:15 EST 4+oWREai No.209413 Reply
>>209399
You're stupid. That's the only reply that you deserve. Get lost.

Rape is an equivalent crime to adultery

View Thread Reply
- Mon, 02 Jul 2018 20:02:42 EST jcTfBHx5 No.209306
File: 1530576162738.jpg -(284750B / 278.08KB, 1051x951) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Rape is an equivalent crime to adultery
On a primal psychological and biological level, rape takes away a woman's right to choose the genes of her mate while adultery takes away a man's right to choose who he provides resources for. Most women (and men for that matter) consider raping a woman to be a crime more heinous than murder. Most men consider getting stallioned as their biggest fear. In both cases, these are crimes of an evolutionary nature. It explains why women get so traumatized when they're raped, while it's just standard operating procedure for men in prison. It also explains why men typically seem to care far more about their woman cheating than vice-versa.

Rape has the added element of verbal or physical coercion, that's true. But we already have laws for that: assault and battery. We don't have a separate law for, say, coercing someone to eat a bunch of eggs. The only case in which we do this is when physical threats/violence are used to gain access to a woman's holes because deep down, we all know that is their most valuable possession. Moreover, for all intents and purposes (and in some countries in the actual letter of the law) rape is a crime that can only be perpetrated on women.

Yet look at how adultery is treated in America. It's legal in all 50 states, while rape carries not just legal punishments, but can effectively destroy your entire life if you so much as get accused of this. Consider if the roles were reverse. How would you feel if women got imprisoned for committing rape while a guy who sleeps around just has slightly more streamlined divorce proceedings? Seems silly right?

I'm not saying rape is in any way a good thing. But we need to either bring back the criminal penalties for divorce or remove the penalties for rape (while solidifying the penalties for coercion) because the way it is now simply isn't just.
43 posts and 20 images omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
Albert Nicklebanks - Sun, 08 Jul 2018 21:30:27 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209360 Reply
>>209359
Essentially, are the majority of rapes rape for it's own ends, or rape for the purpose of inflicting trauma?

I'd be inclined to think the former, as people are more likely to be merely greedy and careless about the boundaries of others than truly sociopathic. But there's probably some concrete data on this.
>>
Thomas Hammerwater - Sun, 08 Jul 2018 23:28:44 EST ogjfl7YN No.209361 Reply
>>209360
>Essentially, are the majority of rapes rape for it's own ends, or rape for the purpose of inflicting trauma?

Well that's one set of questions, but the other is whether trauma itself is what makes rape difficult to report and get justice for.

I heard the point from Zizek that we authenticate guilt by detail, but we authenticate trauma by lack of detail. Ie, if someone calmly walks through the technical description of what happened to them, we emotionally distrust that narrative. However, if they are so overwhelmed by the experience that they can't even say what happened, there is less evidence to go on.
>>
Albert Nicklebanks - Mon, 09 Jul 2018 00:33:41 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209362 Reply
>>209361
>>whether trauma itself is what makes rape difficult to report and get justice for.
Possibly, and quite probably, but I'm not sure it would be the biggest contributor to the underreporting -- I imagine that would be shame, and fear that one would not be taken seriously (thus sociological rather than psychological reasons.)

Consider for how much of human history (i.e. to this day in parts of the world) the victim of rape is murdered or otherwise ostracized, and even in the west, how quickly (frequently male) police will go to the 'well what were you wearing? did you lead him on? How many drinks did you have?' angle. Women in particular are socialized to minimize the discomfort of others by taking up as little space as possible, which also certainly contributes both to their lack of being taken seriously and the belief that they won't be taken seriously, a vicious cycle.

It would probably take a very carefully designed and complex study to suss out exactly how much of the underreporting each of these factors contributes to, though.

COLLEGE

View Thread Reply
- Fri, 13 Apr 2018 16:34:14 EST YBVc1XtN No.209081
File: 1523651654247.jpg -(642101B / 627.05KB, 1000x667) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. COLLEGE
The US is fucking its economy by putting students in debt to get useless educations.

I don't believe college is worthless, and I even think there's value in the arts and humanities. HOWEVER, at least 3/4 of the colleges in the US are bad or in low standing, so if you get anything other than a technical degree from those schools, it's literally useless.

For example, 8/24 colleges in Colorado have degrees of any value, and 20/84 colleges in Massachusetts are worthwhile.

The United States should only keep open the quarter of its schools that provide valuable degrees in the arts or humanities. The other 3/4 should be shut down, or converted to either technical or trade schools.
4 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
Edward Mollytedge - Thu, 03 May 2018 09:55:24 EST MdrXzUYs No.209170 Reply
1525355724417.jpg -(76981B / 75.18KB, 500x449) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge is a noble cause.

That said we have a serious problem in America where most jobs require a college degree and still don't pay a living wage. Even in the stem field there are plenty of shit pay jobs. And if everyone just switched over to a stem major tomorrow all that would do is run down the wages of stem jobs. That's why silicon valley is pushing coding education so hard, because once everyone learns the basics of coding in middle school, suddenly it's not that unique of a skill.

Education should be free, anyone who works a full week should earn a living wage and rent should be illegal.
>>
Clara Turveywater - Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:47:47 EST t87tpTXY No.209288 Reply
>>209170
>Education should be free
>Anyone who works a full week should earn a living wage
>Rent should be illegal

While we're at it...

>Access to medical treatment should be free - US healthcare is double what most other developed countries pay, and yet all other developed countries provide healthcare as a human right
>Loans should be regulated and required by law to be interest-free, as Lybia had made things before we destroyed their country
>Universal Basic Income - all the money goes to the rich, and the wealth gap continues to widen - redistribute the money to the poor masses

And to the prototypical conservative or neoliberal, who would ask, "where is the money going to come from?"...

The DoD's own investigative branch found that $24,000,000,000,000 (trillion) went missing from the US in 2015, enough money to provide all of the shit outlined above for over a decade. Add to that that most of our tax dollars go to crooked subsidies (corn, sugar, oil) and war companies, who encourage genocide in countries like Yemen, and it's clear that the money is available.
>>
Basil Dennerfoot - Wed, 06 Jun 2018 20:11:15 EST 2LwLwSlz No.209291 Reply
>>209288
Add to that the fact that money is a made up human contrivance for coordinating behavior and it's clear. We throw away more food than needed by people starving. We have more unsold houses than homeless people. If we don't even have the capability to feed, clothe, and shelter ourselves, then what is the point of all this excess? The illusory promises of capitalism are slowly killing the planet.

Report Post
Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.