420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Ancient Chinese story by Sidney Pezzlekere - Thu, 15 Dec 2016 16:46:46 EST ID:0bScNOuz No.207458 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1481838406401.jpg -(65585B / 64.05KB, 400x534) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 65585
Hey /pss/. I don't really venture into the social sciences too much so I'm not sure if this would be better suited for /his/ or not. In any case, a friend of mine who was a student of Eastern philosophy recently died. I have since then been trying to tack down a story he once told me. It was about an ancient philosopher who I think was Chinese. The story had the philosopher lying in a ditch when a person comes along and offers to help him. The philosopher made some clever remark and refused the man's help. I believe he said something about no one being able to help him but himself, or maybe he just liked the ditch or some other nonsense.

Does anyone on /pss/ know a possible source for this story or the name of the philosopher? I have tried multiple search engines and quieries to no avail.
>>
Shitting Gadgefoot - Sun, 18 Dec 2016 04:37:44 EST ID:j9/Y0UW9 No.207472 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>207458
Isn't this just another version of the "No thank you, I am a holy man, God will save me" story/joke? A man in trouble refuses the help of men coming to his aid saying that God will save him because he is a faithful man and believes in God, and eventually the man dies and when he gets to heaven he asks God why he didn't save him and God's like well I sent three guys to help you out dude!
>>
Thomas Pockstock - Sun, 18 Dec 2016 13:43:02 EST ID:iAquTtgI No.207473 Ignore Report Quick Reply
There's one about two monks who help a lady across a river and the lady doesn't say thank you, so later that day the young monk is like fuck that bitch and the old monk says "I carried her across the river, you've been carrying her all day."
>>
Hannah Feblingfit - Mon, 19 Dec 2016 16:58:22 EST ID:rKFvzvQa No.207490 Ignore Report Quick Reply
It may be a variation on one of those common stories. I was just wondering since I'm sure my friend said a particular name when he told it and I wanted to be able to look up the original text it came from. Thanks for taking a look at this.
>>
Eugene Pendlemut - Thu, 12 Jan 2017 06:05:50 EST ID:Jv6wkL6u No.207573 Ignore Report Quick Reply
pretty sure that the story OP is talking about is a zen koan, though I can't remember the specific koan in question.

Google "The Gateless Gate" and "Shobogenzo" and get reading, it'll be floating around somewhere on the internet.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.