Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Spirituality vs Religion

- Wed, 17 Aug 2016 17:52:45 EST G4Ws+Vkw No.206541
File: 1471470765273.jpg -(150556B / 147.03KB, 1072x804) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Spirituality vs Religion
Was having a good conversation with my buddy the other night. I asked him if he thought that he was spiritual and he replied "yes because im very religious."

I explained that you don't have to be religious to be spiritual because they operate autonomously. Like you can meditate and not be religious.

So he asked me what being spiritual means. So here I am /pss/, what is spirituality?
>>
Betsy Shakewell - Wed, 17 Aug 2016 21:44:14 EST 0aDGMcny No.206543 Reply
Neither of these terms have very vigorous formal definitions especially when contrasted to one another, so basically any answer anyone gives you is just their own personal head-canon about which is which. Most people are going to give you some answer like:

Religions are based on organizations and dogmas. 'Religio' comes from a latin term meaning 'the things that are bound up together' so the basic sense is a formal structure for interfacing with ultimate reality. Stereotypically, Western and Abrahamic faiths have been characterized as 'religions.'

Spirituality is merely accepting that there is a spiritual (non-tangible, supra-material, possibly purely mental, although there are even many possible qualifiers about this) aspect to reality. 'Spiritual' people are frequently opposed to organized faith, and thus they are usually not based on rigid structures but more informal and about what individuals pick-and-choose to believe from a diversity of (often multi-cultural) sources. Latin 'spiritus' is just a term denoting a non-physical entity (my own theory is that what the ancients called spirits we today call information, but that's another matter entirely.) Stereotypically, Eastern faiths are called 'spiritualities.'

To get at what your friend is saying, generally you have to be spiritual to be religious (although this is not, strictly speaking, the case) in the sense of believing in a spiritual component to reality, but with the additional qualifiers of it being a specific, dogmatic set of beliefs, and thus not spiritual but in the sense of having a 'spirituality' attitude toward faith. People who are religious are more likely to think only one religion is correct, whereas people who are spiritual are more likely to think that many/all religions are correct or partially correct.
>>
Ian Honeystock - Thu, 18 Aug 2016 02:33:11 EST aEaeNBh+ No.206547 Reply
>>206541

The basis of spirituality is merely connecting to the world around you.

It doesn't even require supernatural elements.

When you deconstruct for example African or Native-American myths, beliefs and rituals about animals, where all animals are considered to be "related" to each other (like the Native-American concept of brother Bear, brother Wolf etc.), there's no big difference with evolution.

You can take rituals around connecting to nature and work the concept of evolution in there without changing a thing.

After all, what's a "spirit" except for the events that have unfolded in that space or around that object? As Betsy Shakewell said, what's a spirit except for "information"?

Spirituality can be a bunch of wicca housemoms doing some tarot and ouia board on some fucking "leyline".

It can also be a bunch of college students smoking weed and doing shrooms in a forest while talking about crazy shit they learned in physics class.
They're connecting to the world around them. On a physical, chemical level (because so many spiritual rituals around the world are based on psychoactive substances) as well as on a mental level (due to the discussion they're having).

>And my personal opinion, those guys tripping balls in the woods are more spiritual than those middleaged wicca women, because at least those guys are connecting to something real, something tangible. The nightsky, the wildlife, the plants around them, the environment.
>>
Betsy Shakewell - Thu, 18 Aug 2016 02:44:20 EST 0aDGMcny No.206548 Reply
>>206547
Well hold on now. 1) How do you know what wiccans do is any different from what you described? 2) What you're describing is a very specific thing, Naturalistic Spirituality (particularly of an entheogenic kind), and sure it's great but it is a sub-set of spirituality. You're presuming all those different spiritual traditions you rolled up together have the same naturalistic, materialistic inclinations, and they do not.
>>
Ian Honeystock - Thu, 18 Aug 2016 10:30:27 EST aEaeNBh+ No.206551 Reply
>>206548
At the center of all spirituality lies connecting to the world. Whether that's connecting to the real world, or imagined supernatural phenomena, it's all connecting to the world.
>>
Betsy Shakewell - Thu, 18 Aug 2016 17:45:28 EST 0aDGMcny No.206562 Reply
>>206551
Yeah, that's the definition of a belief-system. I just don't like you characterizing traditional faiths like Native American or African paganisms as being materialistic or naturalistic when they are not. The concept of totem animals has literally nothing to do with evolution by natural selection.
>>
William Boddlemag - Thu, 18 Aug 2016 18:57:27 EST APCrAyg2 No.206563 Reply
The other night I set up my buddy in a rhetorical question under the auspice of actually asking ironically making me seem like a missionary
>>
James Gedgesadging - Thu, 18 Aug 2016 22:34:03 EST s3LlxNBN No.206564 Reply
Spirituality is religion without rules. You get all the benefits of not needing evidence for things, without having to adjust your views to fit a preexisting dogma. You can literally believe anything.

I've seen a few people go down the rabbithole with the whole "spiritual not religious" thing and it can be pretty damaging. It's just more likely to damage a single individual at a time instead of large swathes... because it's something that happens in one person's brain, not to whole groups in movements.
>>
Walter Fumbleworth - Fri, 19 Aug 2016 03:40:52 EST 0aDGMcny No.206568 Reply
>>206564
Well that's just not true either. Are you saying that there are no groups of spiritual people? If there weren't categories of spirituality, if it was totally without rules or group context, there wouldn't be thousands of different kinds of spirituality, in addition to the thousands of kinds of religion. This is exactly what I warned about in the first reply, everyone is making up bullshit personal definitions that ignore the real facts about these issues. Take an anthropology of religions class or at least read fucking wikipedia people.
>>
the flicker !FwnV7hV52I - Thu, 08 Sep 2016 05:23:21 EST vano1wpA No.206717 Reply
I suggest that in many contexts the self-identification "spiritual but not religious" means "I reject physicalism and do not want to be held accountable to any system of normative ethics."
>>
the flicker !FwnV7hV52I - Thu, 08 Sep 2016 16:08:08 EST vano1wpA No.206722 Reply
>>206720
That is such a close paraphrase that I'm not sure whether you're joking.
>>
Nigel Doggledale - Mon, 19 Sep 2016 04:45:24 EST t6MSIlrw No.206876 Reply
I think its more of a difference between a recognized religious organization and an individual belief system that one has arrived on their own, which the "spiritual visitants who came to him in vision had never been seen before by any other; they were his particular familiars and protectors."

Its from that history post contrasting the shaman and the priest. >>56850
>>
Nicholas Blankinpire - Thu, 22 Sep 2016 21:39:03 EST yeARW8t0 No.206907 Reply
>>206541

Youre in luck op, I happen to be an expert in dogwhistle communication!

The translation of 'Im spiritual but not religious' is 'I suck dicks for a living and you can quote me on that'.

Have a good day!
>>
Fucking Dessleville - Mon, 24 Oct 2016 03:04:11 EST bIcAhZ7O No.207109 Reply
Religion is the practical application of spirituality.
Ligio means to connect, or to link with. Re-ligio. To reconnect with that Supreme Personality. Due to the age we are in, the standards of what religion is has fallen. There is only one religion, and that is pure Love of God.

This world is comprised of the five elements, namely earth wind fire water and ether. Everything within the material universe is a transformation of these elements, but this only creates a gross, or physical substance. By no means is this actual spiritual substance. Actual spiritual understanding is beyond the perception of our material senses (sight, smell, touch, taste, hearing) and beyond the more subtle senses (mind, intelligence, and false ego). The Absolute Reality can't be achieved by mental speculation or knowledge. Only be devotional service, known as Bhakti-yoga can God be known.
>>
James Blivingham - Tue, 22 Nov 2016 02:13:37 EST 7yzzAWz2 No.207289 Reply
>>206541
spirituality is connection with something greater than you (God or higher being/force)
religion is an organized connection with something greater than you (God or higher being/force)
philosophies contributing to the creator of everything; different ways of connecting to that creator
>>
>>
Martha Collermetch - Tue, 22 Nov 2016 15:44:28 EST aEaeNBh+ No.207292 Reply
>>207109
>This world is comprised of the five elements

Actually, this world is mainly composed out of iron, oxygen, silicon, magnesium, sulfur, nickel, calcium, aluminium and some other random stuff.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.