Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Virtue signalling the internet and why does it happen like this?

- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 02:26:20 EST 2IPvcf8v No.207417
File: 1481095580362.gif -(2675344B / 2.55MB, 200x170) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Virtue signalling the internet and why does it happen like this?
There's been a lot more of people inserting politics into everything the last few years on the internet. And I don't care where you stand on the spectrum, right wing/ left wing whatever, its that this seems to find its way to every little corner now. With the election going on, you could expect a serious amount of shit flinging on various corners of the internet. That's normal. What isn't normal is how politicizised, how idealism central/focused every little corner of everything is getting lately.

There's become a contingent of people floating aroud the internet who immediately signal to their virtue whenever confronted with anything that they don't like. Its either gas them or, some new age political jargon with a bunch of made up word (they both suck) . Why is this young generation so focused on inserting politics into everything? I know idealism being a part of everything isn't something entirely new, but the way that its going on the internet now is a lot diffrent than things where going 10 years ago. People seem more likely to ally themselves with extremes instead of just tolerating and moving along. How did the internet become so much more socially concerned in the last ten years?

What can be done to combat virtue signalling? I feel like its poor form, but it seems to be getting more popular with people on both sides of the isle. Why does everyone seem to be getting more and more extreme in the last couple years (just take a look at something stupid like facebook or the youtube comments section, shits getting more virulent). ? In 2000 the internet was so damned exciting chat rooms and forums In 2006 I could talk to cool people about anything and laugh about stuff. In 2016 people quickly espoused their values to me repeatedly. Where did it all happen ?
>>
Shit Cobblewill - Wed, 07 Dec 2016 04:23:51 EST MNQT4+Wc No.207418 Reply
This isn't new though. Periods of strong ideological passions happen from time to time. For example, during the late 60's European campuses were full of Marxist-Leninists or what-have-you protesting weekly.

The internet is just another mirror of society. As we're now in a new period of ideological engagement it follows that we'd see its ripples online as well.
>>
David Fuckingford - Wed, 07 Dec 2016 12:23:52 EST 2IPvcf8v No.207420 Reply
>>207418
I'll totally agree that it isn't new. But what I'm wondering is what causes the uptick in this in some eras as opposed others? Is it just a cycle? What perpetuates this cycle?
>>
Hedda Cockleson - Wed, 07 Dec 2016 15:59:25 EST 0aDGMcny No.207421 Reply
>>207420
You already hit on it; it's the internet. Having your ideas realized as real words on a screen, having those words then transmit instantly to everyone you know, and then recorded for all time as a testament to what you believe will necessarily cause an ossification and radicalization of ideology.

Add to that that once people realized that they started using those platforms specifically to increase polarization and radicalization, et voila. You could see foreshadowing of this in earlier eras of media, like the alignment of the cable news channels in the past couple of decades, or the alignments caused by the original emergences of radio and TV. Moreover, our present area is but a fore-shadow of the kind of extreme (and probably presently unimaginable) kinds of ideologies that will emerge when all our brains are constantly interconnected into a vast AI mind-web. Strap in cowboy, we're just getting started.
>>
Hedda Bidgesatch - Thu, 08 Dec 2016 00:09:15 EST NVy0l6tC No.207426 Reply
1481173755956.png -(183716B / 179.41KB, 454x346) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>207421
Is there anyway to escape it? Yes, I know there's always the option to unplug altogether but currently the only way I have of connecting through others is through the internet. I'm finding that I can't stand a lot of fandom places nowadays since they become so easily politicized. Though maybe with election year finally ending, things will settle down.
>>
Esther Bundock - Thu, 08 Dec 2016 17:00:12 EST 0aDGMcny No.207428 Reply
>>207426
Hm well for you personally to escape it, if you don't want to unplug, and since nothing you can do will change how everyone on the internet posts, all you can do is try to reprogram your response to it. Develop more schadenfreude, become more nihilistic, or maybe more positive and slayer-vibes-ey. Essentially, as it is written, smoak moar and chill out.

For society to change? It can't, society is made up of human nature and human nature pretty much doesn't change. Technology changed the environment around it, and for the environment to change away from the way it is will take the advent of the next big new society reshaping technology.
>>
Cornelius Pickford - Thu, 08 Dec 2016 22:36:59 EST U2zzQaX4 No.207429 Reply
>>207426
You can't escape reality. You can only come to an understanding with it.
>>
Eugene Fesslebatch - Fri, 09 Dec 2016 12:14:10 EST d4DXKOh3 No.207430 Reply
1481303650701.gif -(1526187B / 1.46MB, 320x240) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>207426
> but currently the only way I have of connecting through others is through the internet.

Guess you're just fucked then.
>>
Beatrice Bossleshit - Fri, 09 Dec 2016 18:38:54 EST iAquTtgI No.207434 Reply
Maybe virtue signalling is just a phrase you cling to in order to not accept people have concerns they take very seriously and you aren't smart enough to dispute.

Btw please boycott star wars.
>>
Jarvis Fuckingson - Fri, 09 Dec 2016 19:28:09 EST 0aDGMcny No.207435 Reply
>>207434
>> please boycott star wars.
Sound advice everyone should follow.
>>
Graham Grandbanks - Sat, 10 Dec 2016 12:19:05 EST NVy0l6tC No.207439 Reply
>>207434
I don't think that's the issue as it is the fact that the people who do the virtue signaling don't actually care about any of the issues they claim they are fighting for.

One of the more blatant examples of this is callout culture, where people drag someone's name in the mud because they drew some fanart that is supposedly transphobic or whatever. It's rarely an issue about fighting for someone else and all about some sort of power trip.

Lord knows there are far too many people who supported Trump just so they could see liberals squirm. Even if he breaks all of his promises, those people won't care since they've accomplished their goal.

And really it's just an issue of information overload with a combination of guilt trippiness. Basically social media sucks.
>>
Basil Neddlepag - Sat, 10 Dec 2016 13:55:32 EST iAquTtgI No.207440 Reply
>>207439
Prove they don't actually care about those things. You're literally making assumptions on their privately held beliefs. And who said Trump isn't keeping his promises? Didn't you vote for him too? Are you feminist?

He will keep all promises.
>>
Graham Grandbanks - Sat, 10 Dec 2016 14:42:17 EST NVy0l6tC No.207441 Reply
>>207440
You can't really prove how much someone cares about something. It's too easy to convince people that you care about something when you really don't. And it's pretty easy for anybody to say that you aren't vocal enough.

I don't know, I think I'm just burnt out.
>>
>>
Basil Neddlepag - Sat, 10 Dec 2016 17:31:01 EST iAquTtgI No.207442 Reply
>>207441
>You can't really prove how much someone care
But when you say someone is virtue signalling that's exactly what you're claiming you can do.
>>
Wesley Blythegold - Sun, 11 Dec 2016 15:13:52 EST NVy0l6tC No.207446 Reply
>>207442
Huh, you're right.

Well I don't know what the hell my problem is then.
>>
Thomas Shakebury - Mon, 12 Dec 2016 02:47:35 EST vD63TzBc No.207447 Reply
>>207446
I think
>>207442
is overeagerly equating two things. You can't prove anything, yes, but the difference between proving 1) that someone's virtue signaling means they care and 2) proving that someone doesn't care about something is that the first is a positive (an act) and the second is a negative (lack of an act). Clearly, it's impossible to prove that something doesn't exist, but it is possible to support the idea that something (a virtue signaler's care) does.

About your original point OP, the saying goes "the quieter you are the longer you will live", Unfortunately society is out of our control. That isn't to say that you have no effect, however. The best way to fight hatred is with compassion. Talk to the people who want to espouse these positions to you, don't fight them by telling them to go to their safe space or something similarly dismissive. Why do they do it? What is missing from their lives that causes this ideological hunger in them?

As for what causes this, look at who profits from it. Who has the most to gain from this division? Who is on both sides?
>>
Thomas Pockstock - Sun, 18 Dec 2016 13:47:52 EST iAquTtgI No.207474 Reply
>>207443
Rogue one opened at 71 million the last star wars opened at 119 million. America is waking up we aren't going to put up with this anymore, and if they try it again Trump is in a position to stop them.
>>
Shit Noblingfire - Sun, 18 Dec 2016 16:19:38 EST 0aDGMcny No.207475 Reply
>>207474
People aren't going to see star wars because it's garbage, not because they are showing solidarity with hate.
>>Trump is in a position to stop them
Trump is going to be censoring free speech? And you're going to be an apologist for it? Oh boy...
>>
Jenny Pondledale - Sun, 18 Dec 2016 20:49:01 EST iAquTtgI No.207478 Reply
>>207475
This has nothing to do with free speech, it's about weaponizing pop culture to push an agenda. Are you even aware how censored video games are already?
>>
Basil Donningbid - Mon, 19 Dec 2016 01:06:21 EST 0aDGMcny No.207481 Reply
>>207478
>>censored video games
*Groan* please let's not start the whole Gamergate rabble up? I'm a gamedev, I know intimately that what you're calling 'censorship' is actually you trying to censor the people who make games from trying to make them more inclusive by relying on rabid internet hate mobs who have nothing better to do than whine when a gay person is depicted in a game or a woman is depicted with realistic proportions.

Which is exactly what you're saying Trump will do. Star Wars chooses to depict a more inclusive reality (nevermind that the entire new franchise is garbage, since you just want to focus on politicizing it rather than analyzing it as art) then that's the choice of the people who own the rights to the franchise, and you think somehow Trump has the power to stop them from putting out whatever kind of movie they want to? Or even if he had the power, that such a thing would be a good idea? How is that not censorship?
>>
Basil Donningbid - Mon, 19 Dec 2016 13:18:22 EST 0aDGMcny No.207483 Reply
>>207482
It's an indie studio so telling you what game would be tantamount to spreading contact info. Besides, not interested in a /pss/ mob coming to pay a visit :) Thanks for your interest though.
>>
Ernest Hizzlehall - Mon, 19 Dec 2016 13:53:51 EST 54PBc7Id No.207484 Reply
>>207483
Indie game dev, huh? That's actually pretty cool. What genre of game does your company make?

As for what this other guy was talking about, I mean I've seen meninists around here who freak the fuck out about like the feminist agenda of certain movies and video games, and they're fucking annoying even though there's a small kernel of truth to their arguments, but like as for video games being censored there's a small kernel of truth to that, too. Like how the latest Street Fighter had certain changes applied to the American version to take focus away from R.Mika's butt at certain points and like how the entire petting/dating system in Fire Emblem or whatever was completely locked away in the US version. That is definitely literaly censorship of video game content based on certain American standards. And I specifically recall earlier this year a bunch of feminists wrote to Shinzo Abe in Japan and were like, 'Please do something about how sexist your video game industry is' and Abe pretty much just said, 'Dear feminists, here in Japan a lot of women make video games and we have no interest in telling either the male or female game developers what is and what is not appropriate since that's their freedom.' Like cases of censorship are real but they don't seem to go beyond curtailing Japanese video games to be a little less sexual.
>>
Basil Donningbid - Mon, 19 Dec 2016 16:16:33 EST 0aDGMcny No.207488 Reply
>>207484
It's a 2d platform shooter metroidvania, I'm the lead dev, so it's my baby ^_^

Well, I see what you're saying, but here's something to think about, particularly in the case of foreign games coming to American audiences; localizing games by removing or adding content based on regional preferences has always been something that happens since the dawn of the industry. But up until now no-one has tried to cast it as 'censorship' it's merely tailoring content to local tastes to reap the most profit. For example, back in the old days any references to the Shinto religion in Japanese games was fastidiously removed for fear of offending religious Americans. Is that dumb? Maybe. But it's not censorship.

Japan in particular is actually way more socially conservative than the US, so it would make sense that things that wouldn't be offensive to people there, even female gamedevs, would be offensive here.

And moreover, it's not like there is some feminist board that is rejecting their application to be published. These are decisions the companies make themselves solely around trying to appeal to local demographics (and, since there are more female gamers in the US than male ones, it makes sense to play to US female values, since doing otherwise would cost them money.)

So yeah, I don't think I would count that as censorship. Censorship has to be something that comes from an outside body curtailing someone's free speech. Self-censorship is really just a choice to appeal to certain demographics. If I make Kill Tha Jewz 7 for Stormfront's Newgrounds page (this is a joke jic someone can't tell) and then I want to sell it to the Shekelstein foundation, if I want to make money I'm going to have to make the choice myself to 'censor' (localize) my own content, right?
>>
Cedric Bindlefone - Mon, 19 Dec 2016 20:35:28 EST 0aDGMcny No.207492 Reply
>>207491
Nope, just know the consequences of getting on the wrong side of people on the internet especially in my profession. Why on earth would I want any kind of paper trail linking my real identity and my anon chan identity?
>>
Vehk !7HYGxe5v5c - Tue, 20 Dec 2016 07:58:52 EST VD5wTDNK No.207493 Reply
>>207421

This is a retarded opinion. The internet has absolutely nothing to do with it. I honestly can't stand the constant "tsk tsk people can't control their behaviour, it's the internet framing the discourse" pseudointellectual garbage. People were more political than they are now in the first half of the 20th century and that had nothing to do with the methods of communication and everything to do with the unique political situation of the time. Class contradictions grow and subsume when capitalism faces new challenges. People were apolitical because from the 90s to mid thousands, there were no major political polarizations beside the Iraq war. Now were living in a world barely imaginable to us 5 years ago, with all of our idealistic stakes in the status quo smashed and our dreams fettered. Ideology is the product of a broken center, not Facebook shitposting groups.
>>
>>
Cedric Bindlefone - Tue, 20 Dec 2016 17:08:35 EST 0aDGMcny No.207494 Reply
>>207493
But OP's question was what is it about this time that makes it different? Yes, there have been times of greater or lesser political involvement in the past, and sure, by definition the fact that there's radicalization means the center has been abandoned. But why? How did the center get broken? What caused people to gravitate toward more extreme ideology? Surely you're not suggesting that communication technology has no effect on how or what people communicate?
>>
Fucking Fickledock - Tue, 20 Dec 2016 23:26:07 EST AzrYc36y No.207495 Reply
>>207481
> trying to make them more inclusive by relying on rabid internet hate mobs who have nothing better to do than whine when a gay person is depicted in a game or a woman is depicted with realistic proportions.

This is a bit of a disingenuous take of their side, even though I agree the anti-censorship can get too overzealous.

It's a really blurry issue, but what it comes down to is that anybody should have the right to do what they want with their creative works, even if it means doing things I don't agree to, including self-censorship. If it's something that came from the government, then yeah, I'd be opposed to it. But a lot of these sort of decisions are just business people doing what they think will make them the most money without ruffling feathers of whatever region they're trying to sell. I think a lot of these decisions are pretty superfluous since anybody who is offended by Mika's ass will most likely not play something like Street Fighter that is known for its over-the-top characters. But usually these decisions don't affect the gameplay itself. I'm aware of the Fire Emblem Fates situation but I never played that so I don't know.

There is a good point to be argued about this sort of thing and whether or not self-censorship is truly censorship if they are not being pressured by government, and whether or not attempting to appeal to regional cultures by changing a creative product can be considered censorship even if it's done with the consent of the creators, but it's a nuanced one that can't be found when people on all sides are shouting over each other.

Is it really censorship, or just plain old pandering?
>>
Phyllis Poffingwater - Sun, 25 Dec 2016 00:02:19 EST iAquTtgI No.207505 Reply
>>207492
Nothing has ever happened to a game dev online that were actually making real games.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.