Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

NDE

- Wed, 04 Jan 2017 15:30:31 EST 54PBc7Id No.207543
File: 1483561831832.jpg -(24899B / 24.32KB, 492x250) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. NDE
So I've had a few NDE's, one of which was ongoing for months and months while the others were instantaneous. It was really the one that went on for months that had the most drastic impact by far.

But anyway, I noticed that I actually line up with all of these symptoms of NDE.
Anyone else here a fellow NDE'er?
http://iands.org/aftereffects-of-near-death-states.html
>>
Nigel Crovingpark - Fri, 06 Jan 2017 17:26:04 EST BKJX7E+7 No.207552 Reply
1483741564309.png -(1081898B / 1.03MB, 905x639) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
No, but I mean evolutionary it makes sense.

Like you're an animal like any other being on this planet. You have your standard behaviors, and given those behaviors statistically lead to death, then it would make sense for evolution to make some system to make you completely change your behavior in the event of near death, right? Any change is better than none, esp if it's about procreation or not.

I don't know tho. I'm just a biology student, and that's my best explanation. Otherwise this whole thread approaches mystical shit which is where /x/ comes in.

What kind of near death did you experience anyways?
>>
Cornelius Gottingridge - Fri, 06 Jan 2017 23:26:56 EST 2GsJcMxc No.207556 Reply
1483763216356.jpg -(89508B / 87.41KB, 797x443) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>207552
Consider the following.

If consciousness is infinite and immortal, it is in your body's best interest, and is an emergent evolutionary phenomenon, for you to have no knowledge of this.

I'm not saying it's so in this proposition, although I believe it is so. But IF you are immortal, as a hypothetical scenario, your body would certainly suppress this knowledge entirely for you, because if you were allowed to access this feature of your true mind, you would not use your consciousness to take care of the body or strive to pass on its genes.
>>
Sidney Crongerchot - Sat, 07 Jan 2017 01:37:29 EST jC80t65H No.207557 Reply
>>207556
>in your body's best interest
how does your body assume a 'best interest'? how does your body suppress knowledge of your consciousness' immortality?
>you would not use you consciousness to take care of your body
so? what does your consciousness care? fucker's immortal. I don't understand what you're driving at. what is your true mind? is it separate from your consciousness? elaborate!
>>
Cornelius Gottingridge - Sat, 07 Jan 2017 02:10:42 EST 2GsJcMxc No.207558 Reply
1483773042356.jpg -(200224B / 195.53KB, 858x952) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>207557
I was referencing the idea that the body exists to pass down genes. I don't know whether this is true but it seems plausible enough and is a valuable lens to view humanity through, because it opens the door to evolutionary explanations for aspects of our being.

As for the mechanism, of course I don't know. If consciousness is truly unlimited then the body would have to be something that localizes it and restricts its range of experiences, like Huxley's idea of the brain as a reducing valve of the mind-at-large. If consciousness is not truly unlimited but is still immortal, then it could be as simple as forgetfulness:

Think of dreams. Dreams are just as detailed as the waking world, if not more. I've looked at the night sky in a dream and saw a wide angle of all of the stars, but also saw various dream planets and their moons in perfect detail. Scope and depth at once. This has no meaning other than to illustrate the detailed nature of dreams. And the point I'm getting at is this - even though dreams can be so detailed, we typically forget our dreams moments after waking up.

Why do we by and large forget our dreams? One explanation is that they simply aren't relevant to the survival of our body. I'm sure you can see the parallel.

>so? what does your consciousness care? fucker's immortal

Exactly. If it had knowledge of its true condition, it wouldn't care, and this would be disadvantageous for the limited animal nature.

>what is your true mind? is it separate from your consciousness?

By true mind I meant the hypothetical self-knowingly immortal consciousness, in contrast to our mundane minds, which are the immortal consciousness robbed of its knowledge by the body's evolved mechanisms for survival.
>>
Ebenezer Bloshworth - Sat, 07 Jan 2017 08:05:39 EST xA39R98b No.207560 Reply
>>207557
I connect with the statement he made and see it this way:

Our consciousness is predisposed one way or another to not let it's full range be seen / known to us at our current stage of evolution. It's basic desire / goal is to experience and learn and it has realized down the line the experiencing and learning would become limited if we know and see everything in full range already. It's like opening up GTA San Andreas the first time and you've got 100% saved game with 98m. Now you don't even care about killing ballas anymore, you think you're just so far ahead. Or imagine living like the movie Limitless portrays. If everybody saw so far ahead, that there would be little to no chance for a downfall, the possibilities for deep-rooted lessons would become very limited. Eventually, I assume, people would be living their bliss with no burning desire (and I mean BURNING something like the desire to become wealthy that being all-out broke with a dream gives) to do anything, except longetivity. The huge unknown that's in front of our lives simply gives us all the possibilities and probabilities and is a tool of discovery.

Your consciousness wants to learn about self, so it wants to know and see how will you act and come along if X is Y, then Z happens. I believe there's a certain hierarchy of intelligence in play when it comes to our lives, minds and bodies, and I think we're somewhere at the mid-point or below the centerline. Basically I think we're noobs in the game of universe.
>>
Ebenezer Bloshworth - Sat, 07 Jan 2017 08:10:57 EST xA39R98b No.207561 Reply
>>207560
Oh and free will. The unknown gives us or expands our free will.
>>
Charlotte Bluddlegold - Sat, 07 Jan 2017 15:48:51 EST BKJX7E+7 No.207562 Reply
>>207556

>If consciousness is infinite and immortal, it is in your body's best interest, and is an emergent evolutionary phenomenon, for you to have no knowledge of this.

Yet there's plenty of religions that argue that we indeed have an immortal consciousness in the form of a soul. Believers "know" this to be true, and indeed act like it as well.

So there'd be a real issue here with your argument if we're gonna take the evolution of mind into context here.

My argument was that NDEs exist as a behavioral strategy to survive in the event that your old behaviors leads to your near-death. Sure, not a strong point and I can think of many counter-arguments, both evolutionary and philosophical, against it.

But yours is that the body itself has some mechanisms to prevent us from realizing our supposed immortal nature. This is in my view even worse, for example wouldn't our bodies prevent the development of spiritual religion as a consequence?
>>
Cornelius Gottingridge - Sat, 07 Jan 2017 17:49:58 EST 2GsJcMxc No.207563 Reply
>>207562
No, there are evolutionary benefits to believing in spiritual things without knowing them in the same way we know the feeling of gravity pushing our bodies down. it can help reduce anxiety and fear, and give one a sense of purpose to believe in spiritual things.

It's just like temperature. If we get too hot, we die, but with no heat we also die. There is an ideal amount of heat.

In the same way, there is an ideal amount of spiritual knowledge - a vague intuition, backed by belief. If the body allowed us to have too much spiritual knowledge it would threaten the body's survival, and if it allowed none, not even an unformed intuition of meaning, then its survival would also be threatened by nihilism which would lead to suicide of excessive risk-taking.

In fact, because religion and spirituality have evolved, we could say that it's in the body's interest to allow us to have partial, vague, obfuscated intuitions of immortality, while restricting clear knowledge of it.

I'm in a rush and I'm not alone right now, so this might not be as well formulated as it could have been.
>>
Jarvis Greencocke - Sat, 07 Jan 2017 21:57:39 EST Z08uqMmD No.207564 Reply
I'm a little drunk so I couldn't read the whole thing, but I've almost died several times; not from physiological trauma, but from a more instantaneous variety.

I show alot of the outcomes, including a lack of fear of death, although a healty fear of dying stays with me; I don't think dying will be pleasant though the aftermath will be fine.

The most pronounced NDE that I had involved rolling in a car. I was uninjured, but was able to see my relative importance in this world. Watching the traffic on the highway pass by my totalled car, it showed me how insignificant I am to this world. The world just kept on moving past my world changing event. It made me cry at first, huddled up in a blanket I scavenged from my trunk, on the side of the highway. I'm not sure why I cried, maybe just coming to terms with how insignificant I am.

Well that's what I took from it.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.