Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Hermeticism

- Fri, 23 Mar 2018 14:18:37 EST dhnaDuI4 No.208962
File: 1521829117679.png -(1135732B / 1.08MB, 949x750) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Hermeticism
Should I feel like an insane person for wanting to read about Hermeticism? I can't help but find it really intriguing. My girlfriend fell asleep beside me and while she was asleep I started reading the Kybalion. She awoke a while after, unbeknownst to me, and started reading what I was reading. When I realized she was awake she was very suspicious and did not seem happy that I had been reading about it.

She said she won't stop me reading about it but she doesn't want me to become brainwashed or something. I don't know if I'm stoned but I can't tell if I'm being lured into a cult or what. But I can't help but find it really interesting to read about. Anyone know what the fuck is going on?
>>
Hedda Duddleham - Fri, 23 Mar 2018 17:20:37 EST bJCHea5c No.208963 Reply
1521840037127.jpg -(32359B / 31.60KB, 300x528) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>no idea what you are talking about
>Google what you are talking about
>interested in what you are talking about

Indeed, what the fuck is going on?
>>
Charlotte Clinderlock - Fri, 23 Mar 2018 20:52:58 EST dhnaDuI4 No.208964 Reply
1521852778974.jpg -(96883B / 94.61KB, 500x394) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>208963
The forbidden knowledge of the ancients my friend. It has called to me my whole life and now it has found me. The more I read about it the more it clicks with me, it feels so natural for me to read about it. It scares me in a way, honestly.

Again I don't know if it's stoned paranoia but I feel like a crazy person reading about it. Is there anyone here who is well versed with these ancient texts?
>>
Cyril Shakebanks - Sat, 24 Mar 2018 13:03:33 EST 8gq7GAVV No.208965 Reply
If it calls to you, you're just fucking crazy. You're an insane motherfucker and the last shreds of your sanity are slipping away dude.

If it's just incredibly interesting to you from a historical perspective... nothing odd dude. I like reading about mysticism too, it's really interesting to see how mysticism transformed from a religious experience into a scientific experience thanks to alchemy and the meticulous experiments that alchemy required laying the foundation to the scientific method.
And then when science finally completely absorbed mysticism because SCIENCE actually causes results unlike mysticism, people started grabbing back to the hokey pokey bullshit from ancient times (in the Victorian era).
>>
the flicker !FwnV7hV52I - Mon, 26 Mar 2018 09:33:10 EST 8jOW3Mqg No.208968 Reply
You can try to decipher The Gardens of Cyrus. Thomas Browne wrote some good prose works but frankly this is not one of them:
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/gardennoframes/gardenn.html
I personally think Hermeticism is kind of interesting as a historical curiosity, but all the practical magical stuff is incredibly lame. More or less exactly parallel to how the Zhuangzi and (to a lesser extent) the Daodejing are great books, but the whole “esoteric” alchemical/ritual tradition of later Daoism is totally superfluous and stupid. When it comes to mysticism I think the “normal” Christian and Islamic mystics like Nicholas of Cusa, Ruzbihan Baqli, Pseudo-Dionysus the Areopagite, etc. were all more theologically exciting and insightful than any of the Hermetic pseudepigrapha.
>>
Reuben Dinnerstock - Wed, 28 Mar 2018 15:04:18 EST dhnaDuI4 No.208992 Reply
1522263858347.jpg -(93092B / 90.91KB, 611x372) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
It's just when I read about people who practice the occult, including magic and rituals and all that stuff, they sound so casual about it, and it seems so sincere. I often read their response to skepticists as "Try it out first, and see for yourself" and it all seems convincing. I mean, if it really all can be just boiled down to physics, and life really did begin with the Big Bang, then what the fuck brought those tiny particles of matter into existence in the first place? What caused them to move and cause friction?

How can anyone know? Is the universe infinite? But the very fact that absolutely any of this exists, that billions of years of events in the cosmos unfolding and the evolution of life lead me to THIS moment of being stoned on my laptop after working a day in some factory, questioning the reality and endless possibilities of it all, to a bunch of strangers from all over the world who I have never and probably will never meet... is nothing short of an example of how fucking little we know.

Ok I am baked but my point still stands. We don't know anything outside of materialism and physics, which are great things to have knowledge of, but to think that they are the only aspect of our reality, given how ridiculous reality is itself, is IMO folly. Plus Hermetic/occultist imagery is badass. I am gonna be open minded about it and I'm gonna give it a shot, why the fuck not
>>
Phyllis Nenningville - Wed, 28 Mar 2018 17:47:24 EST 8gq7GAVV No.208993 Reply
>>208992
>then what the fuck brought those tiny particles of matter into existence in the first place? What caused them to move and cause friction?

Nothing. Shit isn't hard mate. Nothing did all that. Since nothing is the complete absence of anything, there's nothing stopping nothing from generating something. Of course, when something arises from nothing, nothing no longer is nothing, it now is everything. And since everything is in one point, a singularity, it will expand into a big bang. Now there's a whole universe instead of nothing, so something cannot arise by itself anymore - nothing no longer exists.

Basically.
>>
Nicholas Bummletedge - Sat, 31 Mar 2018 00:13:15 EST QqPfCVO2 No.208995 Reply
Hermeticism is an interesting topic if you enjoy studying religion. It's basically what's left of Western mysticism after orthodox Christianity took over. Even Goetic magic can be an interesting read. Both Goetic magick and hermeticism often get derided as 18th century inventions but really they're remnants of pre-christian Greek religion that were synthesized with judeo-christian beliefs. If you're studying pre-christian mysticism/spirituality then hermeticism is very much an important subject.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.