Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Need help finding a philosophy quote / author.

- Fri, 16 Aug 2019 17:10:24 EST t7Sn0YSu No.209747
File: 1565989824747.jpg -(56572B / 55.25KB, 425x450) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Need help finding a philosophy quote / author.
Hello /pss/,

It's been a while since I've posed here, but I really need help tracking down a quote and author. It's such a poignant quote which is quite relevant in our current political climate.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact text or the author, but here is a paraphrase of the quote:

"The surest way to rally people around some noble cause is the promise of being able to mistreat someone without consequences - the most satisfying of sadistic delights."

I've been tearing my hair out trying to nail down the real quote but I just can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about here?
>>
Isabella Ponkinterk - Mon, 19 Aug 2019 22:10:55 EST 7hg9eMBL No.209751 Reply
>>209747
I've heard similar quotes before, although I can't remember the specific author. That one though is relatively recent, and was said by a guy named Oliver Cemblewell.
>>
Polly Wannerfen - Fri, 30 Aug 2019 00:09:23 EST NAcNncXr No.209763 Reply
>>209751
>>209747
Sounds a lot like an Orwell, likely an anti-fascist/anti-communist from the earlier part of the twentieth century. Hannah Arendt wrote a decent scholarly work on the matter called Origins of Totalitarianism.
>>
Barnaby Siblingforth - Sat, 31 Aug 2019 14:06:11 EST fGw07qTD No.209766 Reply
Hannah was a jew and involved with a known Nazi, Heidegger. seems like even if she hated totalitarianism she sure loved fucking totalitarians. Orwell was a hypocrite too.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.