Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

people with "magic thinking"

- Mon, 02 Sep 2019 11:20:45 EST U+CRTLPX No.209767
File: 1567437645997.gif -(3837933B / 3.66MB, 202x360) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. people with "magic thinking"
Ages ago I heard about a study or book about a large part of the population who have a somewhat "magical" way of thinking and how those are the people most likely to support dogmas and refuse to educate themselves on things. Anybody can help me out with that?
>>
Polly Fankinson - Mon, 23 Sep 2019 02:41:01 EST 0kYg9zIW No.209778 Reply
Either you're dealing with an idiot who is not thinking magically or you are simply unable to see from the perspective of these people with this magical thinking, and from where I'm at it could be one or the other. Please, elaborate.
>>
Basil Soshhood - Fri, 11 Oct 2019 07:38:56 EST cc26aplb No.209793 Reply
You should probably actually research the history and origins of "magic" and spirituality before you attempt to belittle people you don't understand.
>>
Henry Bravingfuck - Fri, 11 Oct 2019 23:59:14 EST Pk15yZ7d No.209794 Reply
>>209793
He came to ask if anyone can help with that and didn't really say anything belittling so why don't you help him out?
>>
Charles Perringfoot - Tue, 12 Nov 2019 01:18:35 EST FX34H2LL No.209834 Reply
>>209793
>>209795
This isn't what he's talking about you new age little Wiccan. He wasn't talking about the literal efficacy of spells and symbols and other stupid crap like the grimoires of solomon, etc.

He's talking about people being, for lack of an even more broad term, superstitious.

I recommend OP look for something about the psychology of superstition that underpins various religious. I would, as a layman, say that it's related to making casual cultural inferences about the nature of reality.
>>
Betsy Shittinglock - Sat, 16 Nov 2019 08:21:59 EST qxACLxYD No.209840 Reply
>>209795
People who are really in command of their beliefs don't carry reference lists.
>>
Cedric Saddlenot - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 13:17:15 EST p+7ufF1/ No.209842 Reply
>>209834
Yes. This.

I think superstition isn't the whole story though. I guess I always thought of magical thinking as people don't understand things, they just do. If these things happen this does. No understanding of the mechanisms behind it. Everything is basically magic, like a wizard casting a spell. You fill out that spreadsheet by putting the exact numbers you're told to in and it pulls out results, you think of facebook as a place rather than a front end that drags up sorted data, you take medicine without knowing the difference between symptomatic relief and attacking bacteria and so on. I think that's magical thinking too. If you think like that then you will be dogmatic and superstitious and if you are happy to think like that you're probably magical. To some degree everyone simplifies things but if plenty of people refuse to understand anything on even a broad allegorical level.

>>209840
I approve and smirked like the smug butthole that I am.
>>
Caroline Hushhet - Fri, 29 Nov 2019 07:55:11 EST zKKlrNHg No.209852 Reply
>>209842
Yes, thank you very much. That pretty much sums up what I meant. Now where do I get more information about that?
>>
Edwin Greenstone - Sat, 30 Nov 2019 03:25:20 EST hcOExBer No.209853 Reply
1575102320972.jpg -(38898B / 37.99KB, 620x420) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Comparable to people thinking that Planet X or Nibiru was going to collide with Earth in 2012. A la Terrence Moonseed of Rap News. Tho that's just a certain sector of the population... Believing conspiracy theories fits this thinking, but subscribing a different explanation besides magic or god(s), a conspiratorial alibi and projection to define something which is far too complex for simple explanations like an elite cabal of people ruling the world or a secret society of lizard people infiltrating humanity. Though tinfoil thought does have valid underpinnings of wanting to understand societal developments and meaning.

( Rap News 30 - NWO https://youtu.be/W4nSjPdT788 )

Beyond tinfoil there is the symbolic representation of magical and religious thinking about objects or rituals or events and the question of how important it is to signify what's occurred (or what will or should occur) and memorializing it. I wonder about the importance of faith in believing something will occur -- and by extension the power of the mind(?), on having an effect physically and/or psychologically to aid recovery from an illness.

This reminds me of the metal music by YOB and their most recent album Our Raw Heart which is a story of one member overcoming "extremely painful and potentially fatal intestinal disease", and in the song Screen: the lyrics screaming rhythmically:

"Ancient poison
Out
Out
Out"

Often there is a call for more focus on coming of age rituals to signify the progression from youth into adulthood.

Anyways, more info about what y'all are talking about would be cool and I will keep my ears open.
>>
Shit Honeyway - Sat, 21 Dec 2019 22:40:25 EST gkGQRl44 No.209880 Reply
>>209842
>>209852
I think there are two questions implicit then in that. I will say what they are then qualify them.

1. To what extent do people require "knowledge" about the things they do in terms of actions they carry out?

Example: To what extent do I need to know "how" something works versus simply knowing "that" something works.

2. To what extent should you trust experts?

In the medicine instance you stated, my knee-jerk reaction is that, generally, we expect those in a position to know and have an incentive to provide truthful information to be truthful when they tell you that something is wrong with you and you need this pill etc.
>>
Beatrice Blathershaw - Sun, 22 Dec 2019 07:18:55 EST xEzpk0dP No.209881 Reply
>>209880
This is a good question with no easy answer. We have a limited amount of knowledge we can fit into our brains so some "magic" is required to get through the day, however we should acknowledge that we are ignorant to it and the limitations that our non knowledge brings. This means in terms of the opinions we form and also that just because we don't understand it, it doesn't mean someone else won't.

I posted about fiat money in another thread. Economics is not magic to me. I'm not a real expert but I have a degree in the subject so my knowledge even with the rust and shittiness of my degree is well above average. Most people don't even know what an economy is and will vote based on the economy all the same.

Which bridges to experts. The same extent we should trust their motives and their expert status. Experts aren't always right but they are right a lot more than other people. In the absence of strong evidence counter to their position these are the people who know the subject. Coming back to economics, I'm more inclined to trust academics because they don't have a vested interest. When a big business leader says something I trust their knowledge, I just don't trust their motives and that their advice or proclamation is for the good of the effectiveness of the economy rather than just maximising their slice. Medicine is another good one. Doctors are sometimes wrong, but often the issue is that they are only experts in certain areas. My girlfriend has a rare immune disorder and a lot of doctors have never encountered it so she knows more. In this case she was originally diagnosed by a doctor but a lot of the time she's the expert in the room, at least until the doctors read up and apply their knowledge. I suppose that opens a second can of worms "who are the experts?". I feel even if you're an expert in a subject you will have blind spots and when those come up you're not an expert in those.

I think a lot of issues with experts arise from them not being experts during a given disagreement or issue or people who aren't experts insisting on overriding them on purely idealistic reasons. Usually political ones. The war on drugs is of course a top example of this AND also that there are "experts" giving advice which is sound for their specific agenda and not the nation (and nations pursuing a similar policy) on the whole.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.