Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

what do I say if PoC is racist

- Tue, 20 Apr 2021 08:43:07 EST yY7Ct6+H No.210407
File: 1618922587608.jpg -(241093B / 235.44KB, 736x1429) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. what do I say if PoC is racist
Hi so I made the mistake of saying "People of Colour" today when someone asked me how we said non-white people in English and I was informed it was highly racist.

If I want to say "_________ are treated worse in this country than white people" what is the non racist thing to say? (I mean people who aren't white, not just Black people, thanks)

(pic related because the British empire was racist)
>>
Beatrice Worthingville - Tue, 20 Apr 2021 12:08:06 EST fGHDtkRk No.210410 Reply
1618934886185.jpg -(56959B / 55.62KB, 640x619) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
how do you expect us to believe that this actually happened?
>>
Molly Snodford - Thu, 22 Apr 2021 14:46:15 EST yY7Ct6+H No.210414 Reply
>>210410

yeah i was worried someone would think this didn't happen and I was a neonazi like OMG WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO SAY I AM SUFFERING I HAVE NO WORDS HALP

what can I tell you, this person wasn't from the US and had read some articles saying People of Colour is racist, I googled it and there are looooooooooots of articles saying it's a racist phrase. Of course some of them are saying it's racist sometimes because, obviously, why would you say PoC when you mean Black.. but others say it is racist regardless of context
>>
Nigel Brookfield - Thu, 22 Apr 2021 16:35:26 EST fGHDtkRk No.210415 Reply
>>210414
I just say BIPOC if it's something academic or the specific ethnicity if I'm talking about someone in real life on the rare occasions it matters, I get why people might take issue with PoC, but I can't understand why people of color alone is racist if people of color as part of black indigenous and people of color is not, from what I can tell, maybe PoC is too vague, or too close to "colored person" which is universally racist outside of South Africa and maybe a few other places, I can't seem to find a solid answer
>>
Ian Mocklehure - Sun, 25 Apr 2021 11:36:18 EST Isur3uFs No.210417 Reply
>>210407

In the US legitimate news organizations have articles with "people of color" in them. It would be racist to say "colored people," here at least, in the US.
>>
Albert Suggledale - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 16:42:49 EST GnLRNmTi No.210420 Reply
"people of color" I do not agree with the term "people of color."

we are all kinda cool
>>
Walter Blurringbot - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 23:57:54 EST 3bkfWZyM No.210421 Reply
The correct terminology is melanin-deficient and melanin-aplenty
>>
Betsy Pottingfere - Sat, 01 May 2021 04:42:05 EST eh8t+hdE No.210426 Reply
>>210407
I think it's okay as long as you don't acknowledge that they're all brown. There seems to be some sort of shame in the name of the color brown, as opposed to black.
>>
Walter Cullydock - Wed, 19 May 2021 03:28:35 EST MVrTq0qo No.210440 Reply
1621409315215.jpg -(679334B / 663.41KB, 1434x1986) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
You stop paying attention to idpol issues and concentrate on fighting for material equality.
>>
Caroline Ciddlebuck - Fri, 21 May 2021 03:34:09 EST erZargJ8 No.210441 Reply
Well, I can only speak for America, but here, "people of color" or "POC" is absolutely standard terminology. I have met other POC who have issues with it here. rarely. It's pretty much always for a really dumb reason.

Non-white also can work but depending on context is often dodgier than POC.

BIPOC will make you look slightly leftier. It actually has a meaning slightly different than POC. When you say it here you usually mean that you're acknowledging that America has a particularly virulent brand of systemic racism fucking over black people specifically, and a different, particularly virulent brand of racism fucking over various indigenous groups. So if someone says BIPOC around here they are generally signaling that they know those things. I have no idea how that would translate in the UK, although I do know there is antiblack racism there.

Maybe "people of color" is just impolite over there? I've heard people over there say "half-caste" and all kinds of shit that just seems fantasy/sci-fi slur levels of weird to me.
>>
Caroline Ciddlebuck - Fri, 21 May 2021 03:34:55 EST erZargJ8 No.210442 Reply
oh

t. black person I guess
>>
Edward Donkinsedge - Sun, 30 May 2021 06:32:06 EST Z8yVemK/ No.210449 Reply
>>210441
I've heard of BAME (Black, Asian, and minority ethnic) being used in the UK
>>
John Migglestirk - Mon, 31 May 2021 01:02:47 EST erZargJ8 No.210451 Reply
>>210426
and nah, but "brown" does usually refer to Indian/South Asian, darker Middle Eastern, and South/Central American people, so a black person would probably be confused and say they're not if you call them that. It's not because there's anything wrong with being literally the color brown, it's because these categories are not descriptive of skin color. Plenty of cream-colored and yellowy people who are in the category "black," because race doesn't work that way
>>
James Murdshit - Sat, 02 Oct 2021 15:18:29 EST 4rEBEJOr No.210523 Reply
>>210415
I can't help but to wonder why we don't just shorten it to BIP or BAIP (black and indigenous people). People of color is acceptable despite the fact that "colored" was extremely derogatory. The US is fucking bizarre.

>>210449
Or this, yeah.
>>
Angus Seshhood - Thu, 09 Dec 2021 07:33:31 EST vv3OxYhT No.210636 Reply
>>210451

Just use other colors you illiterate fuck. Light brown, beige, yellowish brown, just use your fucking eyes and words instead of being wrong
>>
Graham Pummlesock - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 22:49:17 EST erZargJ8 No.210643 Reply
>>210636
It's...very funny that you think that I have control over the correct use of the word "black" in the US for race categories. All right. I'll confer with the other people in the racial terminology caucus, so we can start getting beige and yellowish-brown black people seen as something other than black. I know that'd be useful to me personally as a Paper-Bag American, lol

nb for ridiculous
>>
Jack !fXGyYTYKEM - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 06:24:00 EST RMLxY1R2 No.210654 Reply
>>210407
The truth is that someone will ding you for racism in some way if it's at all public, no matter what you say on the subject. That's where things are in this country. We can debate the causes, but that so often either gets political or falls into the same trap of dividing one race from another and pointing fingers.
|
As far as I know - here in my country, USA - "people of color" should be fine. "African American", "Aisian American" (I know, I know) are the safest - and probably "whitest" terms. "Black" is fine atm, unless someone objects to that because they just want to solve problems (but if YOU are black, feel free to refer to your own people as "nig /- gers" or "my nig /- ga", informally, with no problem). Most of the other overtly racist slurs haven't been "taken back" yet and are universally offensive.

"Ethnic minorities" is a good generic one; no one can come down on that. Although, at some point in the not-too-distant future, whites here probably won't be a majority by themselves. Depending on how you define "whiteness," of course.

If you really want to get right down to it - no matter how you dress up the language - talking about non-whites as a group is, in itself, racist; it puts whites in a group against everyone else.

Keeping up with the exhaustive act of eggshell walking you have to do in this country to keep things politically correct is ridiculous. Now there's critical race theory (which originally was harmless, but has been suborned as part of the backlash against all the racism protests, riots, Black Lives Matter and so forth). So "anti-racism" (itself a racist term) is on the table, too.

There's the the sex/gender issues just really starting to gather steam, and the religious issues. Which I selfishly have to spend a second on, since it's always bothered me a little bit. As a military brat, most of the communities I lived in were mostly white and mostly Christian (or, at least, celebrated Christmas). Officially, government institutions (like schools) can't be seen to favor any religion, etc. So while 90% might be celebrating Christmas in X small town, it's referred to as "Winter Break" and the decorations are usually generic snowflakes, etc. There's always that one family that complains about Easter or even Halloween (the Fall Festival). My town finally threw in the towel on its manger scene maybe ten years ago (bars went up around all schools due to supposed generic school shooting fears last year; one entry, one exit. Crime here is really low. Separate thing but **** what is wrong with people).

I've really lost focus here. Sorry, I really just wanted to get some of my frustration with this stuff off my chest. I'll end with an experience: I went to flight school in south Florida. Flight school in the US is sort of an industry; pilots come from everywhere to train here. I was kind of shocked to find myself a minority, working with mostly non-citizens. The amount of "racism" there was was shocking, too. The first day of my first class, a Korean student (later a good friend) was asked to point out one of his home airports... and could not find South Korea on a map. A chat went out to the group: "The yellow man lost the yellow land."

I didn't know how to react to that - I figured there would be some kind of outrage - but there wasn't. And as the "racism" on campus went unabated in the following weeks, I got it. It wasn't a stupid thing to fight over to them. I ended up being friends with the Taiwanese and the Israelis (who were always direct and critical of Americans for politeness/beating around the bush).

Some of my best friends were a money-grubbing ****ing Jew, a Nigerian schemer no one could make out in the dark), and a wet /- back BECAUSE THEY USED IT AS AN ICEBREAKER. And let me know what an ignorant, inbred redneck I was. And it was fine.
>>
John Bomblekutch - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 18:14:18 EST Wa/2PG1L No.210679 Reply
>>210407
Just call them a jolly african-american to they're face. Be sincere.
User is currently banned from all boards

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.