420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Visual snow by Rebecca Gubberdet - Fri, 13 Oct 2017 00:52:27 EST ID:Gvc4uY// No.882147 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1507870347681.jpg -(48846B / 47.70KB, 367x490) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 48846
I noticed about a year ago after taking mushrooms that there was visual snow over what I see, especially obvious at nighttime. I don't remember if it was always like that or began as a side effect to taking the mushrooms.

It still persists to this day and I'm concerned it will stay like this forever. This image is a fairly accurate representation of what it looks like for me. Is this effect a normal consequence of seeing in low light conditions, or is it more likely HPPD? Why hasn't my vision returned to normal yet?
>>
Fiend !!1C9jE+w+ - Fri, 13 Oct 2017 03:33:44 EST ID:zemaskId No.882148 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882147
> Is this effect a normal consequence of seeing in low light conditions
> or HPPD?
A lil of both, although a "disorder" in the DSM can only be diagnosed if it's truly an impediment to your life, i.e. not being able to drive or read or shit. What you have is pretty standard as far as aftereffects go, as for why it's persited a year though I can't say. Although I think having residual visuals after a trip can sometimes lead to noticing all of the myriad ways our eyes mistake visual information on a day to day basis. So again, little bit of both.
>>
Jarvis Heppersadge - Fri, 13 Oct 2017 08:28:14 EST ID:y/gq+tI6 No.882151 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882148

I gained the ability to see rainbow halos around white lights after having a psychotic break on LSA. That trip was over a year ago but I can see them to this day.
>>
Ian Billingfield - Sun, 15 Oct 2017 23:13:33 EST ID:4ZZXD2yC No.882237 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882148
>Although I think having residual visuals after a trip can sometimes lead to noticing all of the myriad ways our eyes mistake visual information on a day to day basis.
Yeah I think so. Although I honestly don't remember how my vision was before the trip. It's not life threatening or impeding any tasks I need to do. But it is depressing. I feel like I fucked up my visual acuity, and for what? It would deter me from taking psychedelics if I knew this would persist. I've asked a few people if they see grain too, and they can't tell me. So I really don't know if this is a side-effect or I'm for the first time in my life noticing the limits to my visual acuity.
>>
Jack Hibbleridge - Mon, 16 Oct 2017 02:24:48 EST ID:4IlbOXXu No.882243 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882147
you have cataracts jolly african-american
>>
Phyllis Fanham - Mon, 16 Oct 2017 07:49:27 EST ID:puFGdArN No.882259 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882147
I actually had this as a kid, or at least I was more aware of it (though nothing like as pronounced as the pic in OP). I'm not sure if it's the years of mind altering drugs or if I just grew out of it, but it's totally gone away.
>>
Alice Chibblechot - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 18:10:42 EST ID:TzwKY8t4 No.882291 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882147
I always saw visual noise as far as I can remember. What amazes me is some people notice it only after doing psychedelics. I have always seen it, and while it's more apparent in darkness, it's also present on any large surface of single color of any brightness. Also it has not ever grown stronger even though I've tripped more than a few times on various psychedelics.
>>
Walter Brungerfock - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 18:35:08 EST ID:KVvfbwtl No.882293 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882291
This post comforts me
>>
Lydia Winkinwell - Thu, 19 Oct 2017 05:35:08 EST ID:ySGwvSwU No.882328 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882291
Same boat here. Although the day or two after large DXM doses I have noticed that static is a bit louder so to speak but nothing major. Everyone has that to some extent and its something you just noticed Op congrats. Another cool things you probably never noticed is hypnagogic hallucinations in the few moments preceding sleep.
>>
Clara Gemmerdere - Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:51:04 EST ID:bMqSAO2r No.882331 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882291
Same here
>>
David Fanfuck - Thu, 19 Oct 2017 14:32:13 EST ID:ICOuoax0 No.882334 Ignore Report Quick Reply
i never paid attention to the way i visually experience reality before i tripped so its hard to say if the effects are because of tripping or not. probably not though.
>>
Cornelius Clunningneg - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 05:03:19 EST ID:qlywoRsF No.882379 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508576599154.jpg -(709623B / 692.99KB, 1422x1400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I've always had it pretty strongly. It must be crazy nice not to have it, but everyone I've met who acknowledges that they have visual snow have been pretty smart so who knows maybe it's a tradeoff
>>
Lillian Mebblefield - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 06:11:51 EST ID:LywZUfmH No.882380 Ignore Report Quick Reply
You probably already had visual snow, and didn't notice it until you did shrooms.

Visual snow, floaters and night hallucinations are incredibly common among people, but most people don't even know what they're looking at so they don't realise it's part of the normal vision "errors".
>>
Barnaby Bardfoot - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 15:48:09 EST ID:9Yj9pV0U No.882386 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Everybody sees visual snow to a small extent, especially in darkness.
>>
Phoebe Pogglewater - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 16:54:58 EST ID:k8qmmcTX No.882387 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I never understood why people say, "You probably had it your whole life but never noticed it until now."

>"It was never in your vision, but trust me, it was in your vision. Even though it wasn't. It was."
>>
Lillian Blatherstone - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 17:23:30 EST ID:ICOuoax0 No.882388 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882387
sorry to hear youre having a hard time understanding a simple concept :(
>>
George Blottingspear - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 18:03:23 EST ID:ySGwvSwU No.882389 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882387
Ok, this best analog that comes to mind is perfect silence or darkness. Also quick preface, before consuming hallucinogens you should read into the nature of natural hallucinations. Such as, prisoners cinema, hypnagogia, high altitude radiation interaction, ganzfield effect, and various forms of sensory deprivisionally induced hallucinatory states. Not to mention falsely perceived patterns from schizoaffective disorders, now to shaman it up for you.
In perfect silence or darkness you notice nuanced effects of your concious state that are otherwise previously imperceptible. That is to say in true silence you begin to hear your heartbeat, bowels, blood pumping, and much more, hell maybe even the proposed high pitch sound individual cells supposedly make. People have said it is truly maddening, but the reason for this is because your brain is seeking input and stimulus, without it your body doesn't know if you're awake or asleep alive or dead. In short it fucks with your conciousness, and same thing for absolute darkness. Now on to conjecture land. Psychedelics make us aware of this process of information integration it would seem to me. I've experienced moments of darkness in brightly lit rooms and seen living rooms stretch further than the god damn gobi dessert just with substance playing tricks on me. That is to say if you are seeing what isn't there then likely its your brain unfiltering stimulus or making it up and jamming it through your regular concious filter. To do so it has to draw from the bits of info that ARE there or introduce ones that aren't. Either way individual photons are what are absorbed and bounced around to produced the biologically perceived effect of sight. So whether or not you think there was "snow" as we call it there is and they are called photons and bits of biologically percieved information. So where does that leave you? Apparently more aware of your daily data stream than you were before. Is that bad? Not unless it keeps you from living a normal life. Personally I have always seen it so don't worry, but do discontinue use if it worsens or persists, and if you must seek mystical states save up for a sensory dep tank. I have always wanted one but for
A: substance works fine for me AAAND
B: drugs plus water DO NOT MIX AND NEVER SHOULD
Thats just me though, and I hope my 2 cents is of value to you.
>>
Phoebe Pogglewater - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 18:20:33 EST ID:k8qmmcTX No.882390 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882388

It's an incredibly simple concept which is why I don't understand how you people are always so wrong about it.

How is it there, in front of our eyes our entire lives but we, "just didn't notice?"

That doesn't make any sense.

Psychedelics obviously cause intense sober visual distortions and hallucinations from prolonged use.

Or are you saying people have "small amounts" of visual snow their entire lives, so little that it practically doesn't even exist? And then we suddenly notice it hardcore after tripping, even though it literally stays the same amount of visual snow?

Everybody makes it out to sound as if psychedelics aren't the direct cause of people having intense visual fuck ups after tripping a fuck ton.

Hppd is very real and it comss from ingesting hallucinogens.
>>
Phoebe Pogglewater - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 18:24:02 EST ID:k8qmmcTX No.882391 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882389

Sentence and paragraph structure, friend.

The psychedelics are not increasing your sober awareness, causing you to percieve things that were always there, but not easily noticeable, the psychedlics are FUCKING with your vision. They are fucking with the way your brain filters information.

The external material cause of visual distortions (LIGHT) obviously existed prior to a person's hppd, but the hppd did not exist.
>>
Emma Clottingson - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 20:32:04 EST ID:ySGwvSwU No.882393 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882390
>>882391
Never asserted that it wasn't real and that if you have it you should be open and honest with the limitations it imposes , and c'mon man semantics, really? Did everyone switch to mla format and I not get the memmo?
I appalogize for my grammatically incorrect format prior to this moment. All of that aside, if you have impaired low light vision don't do dangerous low light activities. It's as simple as if you have it you have and if you don't you don't. If you binge on anything or are particularly sensitive to it then you should expect negative side effects. Even if it is something that is relatively harmless. So any idiot would/should stop immediately and be realistic with their situation and act accordingly.
>>
Graham Bullylock - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 01:06:56 EST ID:WFOS2Lr1 No.882397 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Tbh "visual snow" IMO has just been a phenomena where you notice properties of your vision that werent there before, particularly after taking psychedelics for the first few times, those are the sort of things youd be looking for, vision certainly isnt flawless, its mostly illusory, for example depth perception, and thus prone to "graphical bugs" so to speak
>>
Henry Durryfane - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 03:34:16 EST ID:ICOuoax0 No.882398 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882390
>have visual snow all your life
>never pay attention because you have no other kind of experience to compare your sober reality to
>take psychedelic drUg
>oh hey wow my visuals can be altered this much, i wonder what other ways there are to see
>pay more attention to your visual experience
>oh hey theres a little snowy stuff goin on

cant believe I had to meme it out for you like this
>>
Cyril Handlehedging - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 04:07:20 EST ID:puFGdArN No.882399 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882398
>meme it out

Yellowtext =/= meme
>>
Graham Bullylock - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 04:12:18 EST ID:WFOS2Lr1 No.882400 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882397
Sorry, i meant was always there. Not werent there before
Pretty scattered nb
>>
Jenny Bluzzleman - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 09:39:59 EST ID:LywZUfmH No.882406 Ignore Report Quick Reply
It's very easy to understand why most people don't notice the natural disturbances and normal hallucinations common in the human visual organs.

Because to most people, the only time they take the time to look at what they see... is when they take hallucinogenic/psychedelic drugs.

Holy fucking shit niggers. Did you wankers even pay attention in biology class when they explained how your eyes and your brain create images?
>>
Emma Clottingson - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 12:41:05 EST ID:ySGwvSwU No.882408 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882406
I keep telling mother fuckers that but it doesn't sink in. This is just what happens when a bunch of club drug munching cock gobblers get together and start comparing their small penises. On the other hand hppd is real and if anyone notices it in themselves then its up to them to behave accordingly.
>>
Jenny Bluzzleman - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 15:53:31 EST ID:LywZUfmH No.882416 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508702011280.jpg -(243347B / 237.64KB, 1228x770) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>882408
Here's an photoshop that one of the Ancients made a long time ago here on /psy/, it's a pretty accurate example of what HPPD is.
>>
Dr. Katz - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 18:54:27 EST ID:ljoXF9ov No.882418 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882416
Accurate for sure. Everyone has subjective differences, but HPPD was a bitch for me about 6 years back.
>>
Henry Bardspear - Mon, 23 Oct 2017 11:00:18 EST ID:eN0wRqbP No.882434 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882418
Was it that severe constantly and did you get rid of it?
>>
Rebecca Seffingbanks - Mon, 23 Oct 2017 12:52:54 EST ID:Iyfrbm6f No.882436 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882434
You can never really get rid of it, either you integrate the lessons from your trip and get used to it or you end up in the looney bin. (Or in my case go to the looney bin THEN integrate the lessons from your trip and get used to it) Or start doing drugs that reduce your awareness like alcohol or opiates, although thats not really a good longterm plan.
>>
Nicholas Duvinghitch - Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:14:38 EST ID:LywZUfmH No.882437 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>882434
You get rid of it by quiting drugs for years/forever.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.