Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)
depression Ignore Report Reply
Cedric Pizzledale - Fri, 12 Oct 2018 23:03:14 EST ID:9e3dUiV3 No.892805
File: 1539399794031.jpg -(5340B / 5.21KB, 278x181) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 5340
/psy/ you're some smart people. So how can I start bettering myself? I want to get over my depression, not feel anxious when I leave my house, and I want to feel motivated to reach my personal goals. Right now I do the same thing every day, mindlessly browse the internet and listen to music.
>>
Walter Pisslestad - Sat, 13 Oct 2018 02:27:33 EST ID:4Kk3JT3E No.892807 Ignore Report Reply
Same bro please tell me if you find a solution that isn't unpleasant
>>
Rebecca Hommleworth - Sat, 13 Oct 2018 02:36:14 EST ID:uvc92AcO No.892809 Ignore Report Reply
>>892805
Don't do drugs for a while, enjoy every breath that you can
>>
Eugene Pezzlebitch - Sat, 13 Oct 2018 03:48:35 EST ID:uEw98aii No.892810 Ignore Report Reply
I spent 4 years being unemployed and depressed, and I'm sorry to say but there isn't like, This One Crazy Trick you can do to get over it. It's a long process, but generally you need to cross your comfort zone every day, just a tiny bit. Get out of bed early one day, go for a walk, do some dishes, get the laundry done. Just small things. Having some kind of "purpose" would be nice, but don't stress it. Personally I started going all in on trying to become a web developer, so I spent about a year doing self-study as much as I could. That was probably what helped the most, honestly. Getting a new interest, sticking with it and refining it enough to actually get a career doing it.

Shit man I don't know I just got out of bed, just know it'll get better if you let it.
>>
WhyNotTho? - Mon, 01 Apr 2019 17:42:32 EST ID:s25+oJ5P No.894584 Ignore Report Reply
Take the time to find out what it is you really want. You want to better yourself so obviously you know what you can get to work on.

Take a pen and a pad and WRITE DOWN what your life looks like once you are no longer depressed (the things you will be doing, have, ect ect)
That is your goal.

Now write down what your life looks like if you keep fucking around and wasting your time.

That should get you started. Remember, this life is a marathon not a sprint (for most of us i guess) Take your time to figure yourself out and do not compare yourself to others (unless you need some motivation, never to beat yourself up)
>>
Ebenezer Dollerdore - Tue, 02 Apr 2019 11:22:52 EST ID:hFrm0jVO No.894593 Ignore Report Reply
1554218572013.jpg -(22229B / 21.71KB, 260x399) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
First off, if you have a chemical imbalance in your brain then you need to take medicine that fixes that. You will never be normal again if you don't repair this.

Secondly, start reading "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius, preferably a modern version with normal English (this is a personal journal, not a real "book"). There are very important lessons to from the book.
>The only thing you can do is be yourself and the only thing you can rely on is your reason and logic.
>Never depend or care about the reactions of others unless they are teaching you something. Do not care about applause or thanks you receive. Do not care about criticisms or rudeness you receive. As long as you acted logically and rationally, you should be content.
>Never do anything without a purpose. Even if that purpose is selfish or vain, as long as you can admit that to yourself then you are fine. If you find yourself being ordered to do something or doing something automatically, think about the purpose behind the act and become content.
>Accept death as a reality of nature. You will die, everyone you know will die, all great men of history have died, all people who praised those great men have died, etc. Death is either oblivion or the beginning of an afterlife: either you feel no pain for you continue to live in another form, so there is nothing to fear.
>Acting rationally means acting benevolently towards others and expecting no reward or thanks. Become content with simply acting rationally with a purpose, and you will never need to rely on others for motivation ever again.
>>
Angus Claywell - Tue, 02 Apr 2019 14:07:24 EST ID:uXYQE65o No.894598 Ignore Report Reply
>>894593

I don't believe the narrative than depression is caused by chemical imbalances. I suggest reading Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression – and the Unexpected Solutions to learn about how depression is a cultural problem and not an individual problem.
>>
Fanny Mammerbury - Tue, 02 Apr 2019 14:45:20 EST ID:75AOcujX No.894599 Ignore Report Reply
>>894598
I can give you my own anecdotal evidence and say that meds (SSIR - Escitalopram) worked perfectly for me. They didn't change me in any way but make me feel normal again. I think there are people who simply feel sad and mistake it for real depression, which causes the meds to cause an actual imbalance of serotonin in their brains. I can't recommend trying the medical route enough if it all seems hopeless; particularly if you go through brutal hours-long periods of total despondency and hopelessness like I used to. Haven't had one since.

As far as /psy/ goes, it dulls the visuals but not so much the feelings. I still see crazy shit with DMT and shrooms, but LSD needs to be higher dosed.
>>
Jenny Sillywidging - Tue, 02 Apr 2019 17:03:52 EST ID:IUfz5v9T No.894600 Ignore Report Reply
>>894598

Your emotions ARE chemicals. Depression is way different from sadness, and is typically caused by chemical imbalances from malfunctioning glands. There's a reason why the majority of mental disorders are hereditary: because they're caused by physical problems.
>>
Archie Fudgesurk - Wed, 03 Apr 2019 21:00:12 EST ID:Plel+GQU No.894616 Ignore Report Reply
I was extremely depressed for most of college and I had a real hard time for years at a time.

The first big thing that helped me normalize was to recognize that a major part of depression is not so much delusional thinking (thinking things that are untrue) but skewed thinking (focusing on one thing or interpretation of things too much).

So like one big thing for me was feeling socially isolated and hopeless about relationships, so for me I tried to make a deliberate effort to counter my depressed thinking. Instead of feeling like "I have no friends and no one truly cares about me," I'd start listing people that make an effort to see me or are friendly to me, think about times people have shown me love and kindness, that sort of thing. It's a good step to start building up your sense of self-worth and begin to recognize the ways in which depression alters your thinking and combat it.

Also I'd always suggest trying to stay active. Go to the gym, go on a walk if the weather's nice, go to events in your area, that sort of thing. Break your routine. It's still possible to have fun while depressed and it's good to try and not let your depression make you feel like you're not able to do things.

Drugs might help some people but it didn't really make any difference for me. Use at your discretion I'd say.
>>
. - Thu, 04 Apr 2019 12:17:51 EST ID:uXYQE65o No.894629 Ignore Report Reply
I've had depression for 15+ years. It's a level of depression where I cannot maintain any interest in a hobby. I cry by myself often. Some days I cannot get out of bed. I feel alone. Little things like cleaning the dishes feel like insurmountable feats.

At first I coped with cannabis. This helped for a few years but then my life situation got worse and cannabis was no longer helping. After a dark period of 6-12 months I became a workaholic. I told people that I looked into the void and laughed. I had a good stable job, good exercise routine, got enough sleep and ate healthy foods. I was still depressed. I thought I was doing everything I could to make myself feel better, but I was still crying alone at night. I've maintained these good habits for the rest of my life. Every time I let one of them slip my depression spiraled.

I tried antidepressants, and their effects on my depression were both minimal and short lived. After a year on a dosage I didn't feel like I was getting much out of them. I switched pills and doses and nothing stuck. Even when they were working I never felt completely healed, I just felt a little less sad. I was still depressed. I stopped taking antidepressants.

I tried lsd and mdma therapies. I had experience with them during my cannabis days. I had about 5 mdma and 10 lsd sessions over 16 months, in a mixed variety of settings and guides. They worked better than the antidepressents because they helped me change my life for the better. They helped me determine specific things that made me anxious. They helped me remember childhood traumas that were completely buried which gave me a better understand of myself, and helped me forgive myself and people in my past. I eventually stopped the lsd/mdma therapies because of diminishing therapeutic benefits. I was still depressed. I couldn't keep interest in a hobby or a relationship. I cried regularly. Some days I wouldn't get out of bed.

Later I began seeing a psychotherapist. I found it to be the most expensive, the slowest acting, and the most overall effective treatment I've tried. I'm still depressed. However, for the first time since I noticed I was depressed I have hope that I won't be depressed forever. I have days, sometimes entire weeks, where I almost feel not depressed.

My depression looks different than a lot of other people's. I have a nice clean home, a good job, I get enough sleep, I exercise. If you meet me at a party I'd have a few good jokes and a smile ready for you. I'm still depressed. I still can't maintain interest in a hobby or a relationship. I still cry often. I still occasionally spend an entire day in bed.
>>
Walter Bardbury - Fri, 05 Apr 2019 13:09:38 EST ID:FZBGKjIe No.894664 Ignore Report Reply
>>894598
i agree
>>
Edward Farringfuck - Wed, 10 Apr 2019 01:58:17 EST ID:2LDKVhSD No.894777 Ignore Report Reply
It's long. It's habits. Everything your mind is, everything you are, is habits. Built over millions of years of genetic replication, or through your daily choices, habits are what make you what you are. You can imagine your life as it might be, as a whole, as an image. But to make yourself better, to make it real, you need to break it down. Change your habits. It takes years, and that's the bad news. But the good news is that you don't have to work all those years all at once. Work in the moment to make yourself better. Start with the smallest of actions. Look around your computer. Find one thing that is out of place. Pick it up. Put it in a better place. It doesn't even have to be "the right place", or "put away". If it's closer to where it should be, then you win. You've focused and improved your life. Maybe it's just a little bit, but this is what you must do, again and again. And little bits are easy. Pick up that shirt and put it in the hamper. Run some cold water over your face, wash it a bit. Every moment that you are doing a little bit is a moment that you are beating the demon. Build those habits. Slowly. Depression is a monster, but you still have some control over the little things. You might not feel up for running a marathon. But I bet you could stand up from your computer and walk outside into your yard, or wherever is in front of your house. It sounds dumb, but this is how it starts. You are reinforcing habits. Slowly. Over time. You don't have to beat depression right away. It'll be a lifelong battle. And that's the bad news. But the good news is that you will have a lifetime of improvement. You'll get used to walking outside your house, then you'll walk down the block. You'll put that shirt in the hamper, and eventually you'll get used to doing laundry yourself. Build up to those goals at your own pace. You'll feel better and better. Depression always hurts, but think about it. If you begin good habits, good thought loops, then you will improve. You can't get rid of depression forever, unless you are very lucky. But you can reach a day when you can look at your victories over yourself and smile. It doesn't matter where you start. Just start. Start small. It will build up over time. Don't be ashamed or afraid of failing and slipping back into depression. This happens. It's normal. It's ok. When you notice yourself slipping, just do something. Anything. A good habit. Drink a glass of water in the morning or whenever you wake up. Even if the whole day is shit, if you drank that glass, you won at least one victory. Then you can make another habit. Depression slowly creeps into your life and consumes you; now, you must slowly creep into your depression and consume it. Don't fight it head-on. Fight it in pieces, guerilla warfare style. Choose a simple thing that you can do to make your immediate surroundings just slightly better, and do it. You've just started. Now keep going, and don't look back.
>>
Cyril Shakeshit - Sun, 14 Apr 2019 15:34:10 EST ID:rOtEoTkm No.894823 Ignore Report Reply
Exercise. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Go outside more. Hang around other people. Try new activities. Maybe there's a project that you've had in mind. Save some money and sink some effort into it.

The biggest thing is to not mentally punish yourself when you inevitably fail at any one of these things. You will fail. But you need to accept failure as part of a process. Healthy people fail all the time and they don't slip into a spiraling hole of depression whenever something bad happens. Unlearning that can take time. Learn how to forgive yourself and don't punish yourself for having feelings.

Also, if you get into a cycle of negative thinking, I find that the best thing to do is to force yourself to do some small chore that is going to distract you for a bit. Take out your trash, make your bed, finish up cleaning your dishes, whatever. The process of moving and getting something done may actually make you feel better, especially if I play music or a podcast while doing it. Also, the fact that you improved your life in some small, tangible way is very rewarding.

As for psychedelics, as much as I have enjoyed them and as much as I think they can change your general worldview, I think they're probably useless for giving specific directions on how to improve yourself. Don't mess with drugs if you are depressed.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.