Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)
Psychedelic Consciousness & Reality Ignore Report Reply
William Billingville - Mon, 03 Dec 2018 05:45:18 EST ID:5WVN5TmB No.893678
File: 1543833918828.jpg -(230120B / 224.73KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 230120
I've not taken psychedelics for quite a few years, but I did have an extensive friendship and usage with them back in my teens and early 20s.
I was talking to a friend yesterday about the subject of this thread (he's never taken psychedelics but is well aware of them)

So we were talking about consciousness and other things relating to that. We somehow got onto the topic of the double split experiment, which has proved multiple times over, how a particle acts like a wave in a sea of possibility, only until a conscious entity observes or interacts with it, and then it finds a fixed location as a particle.

I then mentioned how when someone takes a substance such as LSD or psilocybin mushrooms, straight lines are never straight, and everything moves. I joked suggesting that the very same experiment should be repeated, but with everybody involved tripping. It was a joke, but then I thought about it and I want to open it up for discussion here.

Considering that consuming something such as LSD opens up certain parts of your brain that you don't commonly use as much or in a specific way, is it a leap too far to suggest that you are viewing reality in a such a way that you are witnessing a particle not behaving strictly in one fixed position? I'm not suggesting that you're seeing everything as a wave, but maybe you are starting to see other possibilities of each particle at one moment in time.
The double split experiment suggests that we literally create our reality in some respects, and we decode the information the universe has written into the very fabric of reality. Do certain psychedelics simply allow your brain to decode this information in a different way, that isn't a hallucination exactly, but just a different view of particles not being in one fixed position?
>>
John Cebberchutch - Mon, 03 Dec 2018 09:30:44 EST ID:lTZNcOFb No.893679 Ignore Report Reply
>a particle acts like a wave in a sea of possibility, only until a conscious entity observes or interacts with it, and then it finds a fixed location as a particle

Sorry man, but I stopped reading right there. I find it absolutely mind-boggling how people still choose to interpret the results of the double slit experiment incorrectly. The presence of a conscious observer is NOT required. I get it, the term "observer effect" is confusing, but if you actually had any real interest in the topic, you'd find out in mere minutes that the act of observation isn't what collapses the wave function, but the interaction with the quantum system, which is an inherent part of observing. Wave function collapses happen countless times a second throughout the universe, without conscious observers causing the collapse. I really wish quantum physicists chose better names for the phenomena they discover as to avoid confusion like this which seems to be lasting for decades now.
>>
Frederick Bamblepere - Tue, 04 Dec 2018 01:10:52 EST ID:Xbi9viCf No.893698 Ignore Report Reply
>>893679
let's take this to the next level
https://www.forbes.com/sites/briankoberlein/2018/07/16/could-the-present-ever-change-the-past/#20e6c9161ed1
>>
Alice Grimwell - Tue, 04 Dec 2018 10:39:22 EST ID:lTZNcOFb No.893709 Ignore Report Reply
>>893698
People bring up the delayed choice experiment as if it goes in favor of the argument that consciousness is the key factor in wave function collapses, but that still isn't the case. The delayed choice experiment says a lot about the non-linearity of time, entanglement and the fundamental nature of information, but it still says nothing about consciousness and its relation to the fabric of reality. The results of the experiment seem to show that the stored information is changed retroactively, but you could take consciousness out of the equation completely and the stored information would still change accordingly. We don't quite understand this whole phenomenon just yet but ask any serious scientist in the field and he'll smirk at you if you bring up consciousness in this context.
>>
Hugh Grimdock - Thu, 06 Dec 2018 18:15:14 EST ID:CRd+/M+Z No.893761 Ignore Report Reply
>>893709
You gotta upgrade your definition of consciousness
>>
Sophie Nullerfet - Thu, 06 Dec 2018 18:38:00 EST ID:LywZUfmH No.893762 Ignore Report Reply
Shut the fuck up you retarded wanker. Redo your physics 101. I fucking studied MOTHERFUCKING ART and I still have a better understanding of quantum mechanics than you, you dumb motherfucker. It is NOT HARD, just FUCKING READ THE WORDS YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER.
>>
David Wullernore - Thu, 06 Dec 2018 19:32:00 EST ID:ZHmzM7am No.893763 Ignore Report Reply
>>893762
internet: the post
>>
Cedric Possleneck - Sun, 09 Dec 2018 23:39:23 EST ID:U6cph6Y5 No.893831 Ignore Report Reply
1544416763412.jpg -(1403148B / 1.34MB, 1944x2592) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>893762
dum ass nigga
>>
Simon Goodbury - Sun, 09 Dec 2018 23:51:17 EST ID:cvlHoT+o No.893832 Ignore Report Reply
>>893678

What you're proposing is exactly what people on LSD think before they jump out windows believing they can fly. The brain creates the visual so in essence you're projecting your own ideas onto the experience.
>>
Thomas Cravinglug - Mon, 10 Dec 2018 02:41:53 EST ID:CRd+/M+Z No.893837 Ignore Report Reply
>>893762
brain dead lookin ass xD
>>
Shit Ducklelock - Mon, 10 Dec 2018 03:45:48 EST ID:f8wjFx/F No.893838 Ignore Report Reply
> a half dozen replies
> not a single one agreeing with OP (who should be executed by firing squad for his crimes against scientific literacy)
I'm proud of you, /psy/.
>>
Betsy Creshway - Mon, 10 Dec 2018 15:35:12 EST ID:+BcYWCUD No.893858 Ignore Report Reply
>>893678
Psys dont open up certain parts of your brain, it causes disinhibition and over excitation of certain signal patterns via runaway feedback excitation from the interruption of regular feedback mechanisms in the thalamocortical circuits that generate consciousness. Put more simply, signals that would be dampened normally arent and they feed off each other because of that to produce profoundly abnormal brainwave activity.

The waviness of what should be "straight" llines is a result of the brains normal image discrimination process being interrupted from this abnormal signalling cascade, causing the capability of perceiving things like lines with sharp, definite resolution to diminish, especially in the periphery because a lower density of salient sensory information coming from the eyes. Thats why things are much wavier in the corners of your vision.
>>
Cornelius Cicklestad - Mon, 10 Dec 2018 17:25:54 EST ID:orOv8TrE No.893860 Ignore Report Reply
1544480754073.jpg -(265283B / 259.07KB, 1661x579) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>893838

Thanks, dad
>>
Hamilton Sonningtore - Tue, 11 Dec 2018 17:17:12 EST ID:wia98GLz No.893875 Ignore Report Reply
>>893832
honestly i don't know how people can take psychedelics and not realize that the experience of being is all just mental projections--the duality inherent to the process and act of experiencing being means that said experience is flawed,, limited/constrained, and distinct from the true state of existence and reality as a whole. We don't create reality, we create our experience of it.

Our perceptions are symbols--networks and systems of images that represent certain aspects of existence. Symbols are representations of reality, not reality itself. It's foolish\, naive, and arrogant to believe that we create reality/existence rather than it creating us; our experience exists itself merely as a substrate of it.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.