Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

How to (almost) guarantee a good trip

- Thu, 03 Oct 2019 20:19:33 EST gSRlJB6i No.898894
File: 1570148373441.jpg -(51560B / 50.35KB, 500x729) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. How to (almost) guarantee a good trip
So I've tripped quite a few times on psychedelics over the past few years and something I've learned that is quite simple but works well is that a good and a bad trip is really all in your mind. Everything that happens during the course of your trip is controlled by you. Your setting, who you surround yourself with and how you decide to keep your mindset, whether you are determined to stay positive or let your anxiety take over and lead you into a bad trip.

I know this is true because the first time my friend and I did LSD together, we took 2 tabs and during the first quarter of the trip, after the peak we felt quite overwhelmed and kept saying it was rather intense. But I was determined to stay positive and that it'd be okay which helped. I'd say to him that "It's all good man, we just have to stay positive and switch things up, let's go to my room and leave the living room." Your mindset and setting goes a long way. I noticed this too when reading bad trip reports on Erowid. Almost every time someone started thinking negatively they got thought loops, got overwhelmed by the negative thoughts and let it lead to a bad trip, because they gave up. The key is simple; never give up. Go into the trip with a good, healthy mindset. Find a safe, cozy place to trip where you won't be bothered. Make sure to hydrate regularly, eat enough & if you have a good friend to keep you company that can help a lot.

Overall, don't get overwhelmed, it's just a drug and it will fade away in time. I will say, if you take a higher dose it can be easier to get overwhelmed, but sometimes just laying down and resting can go a long way. This is the reason I've only ever had one truly "bad" (awful) trip, and that was only because I took way too much (7 grams of mushrooms) and mixed it with SSRI's and a lot of weed. Which was my fault. (Ended up in the hospital from it, as I kept blacking out at my friend's place and they took me home and mom called 911) I learned from this, now mostly take small doses, stay positive and it's always a good time. Some good chill music/psychedelic music can help balance things out too.
>>
George Fublingwater - Thu, 03 Oct 2019 21:12:36 EST aQcRuewx No.898896 Reply
>>898894
Honestly I think embracing and accepting the experience no matter what is the key to not having a bad trip. What happens when things start to get weird then spiral out of control is a knee jerk reaction to reject what is happening to you and escape from it, but the reality that there is no escape is almost so traumatic in and of itself that it's like throwing jet fuel and TNT onto a fire, and the whole thing just cascades out of control entirely unchecked.

I've never had a bad trip, but I've had unpleasant experiences. All I did was calmly accept what was happening because I'd already let go of both the idea that I had any real control over what I was experiencing, as well as (and most importantly) the feeling that I needed to have any control over it. I simply surrender myself to what's happening, not as an act of defeated resignation or subservience, but rather as an understanding of my place in reality and the confidence that things will be okay in the end, because literally the only time things don't turn out okay at some point in the future is when you die. Things always wind up being just fine in the end, even if they aren't ideal and you wind up a little hurt because of it.

That acceptance and willful embracing of the experience, no matter what it brings, winds up actually preventing a bad trip in and of itself. Difficult times happen, and they pass. I usually wind up feeling better for having experienced something difficult and coming out the other side anyway. Difficult experiences are where true learning and growth occur. I actually embrace such experiences themselves for that very reason. I don't wish for them, but because it is a given that they are going to happen at some time or another, I can use them to my advantage to improve as a human being. These experiences are what build a solid emotional and psychological foundation. When they destroy our original foundations, it's because they were lofty, flimsy things without any real structural integrity. If this experience didn't destroy that foundation, another would. When you build yourself back up, you do it better than ever before, until experiences like that no longer pose a threat to your foundation.

The way I see it is, is there anything actually wrong or that terrible with experiencing something unpleasant? Sure, it's unpleasant and causes some suffering and discomfort, but is that always inherently a bad thing? Why? Suffering, discomfort, and unpleasant experiences are a given throughout life, you are never going to be able to avoid that. Just accept that these things happen, and rather than let them break you completely, use them as a tool to expose your weaknesses and arm yourself with that knowledge to make yourself better than before. It's good and even necessary to experience bad shit in our lives, so there's no reason to freak out when it happens. Accept and internalize what's happening--feel it, feel all of it. While you are feeling it, think of how you are going to deal with what you're feeling in a calm manner and take that time to make proactive choices that lessen the damage and discomfort and facilitate recovery and growth.
>>
Jarvis Durrycocke - Sun, 06 Oct 2019 04:02:06 EST jlcoTZD+ No.898947 Reply
By the point you REALLY hit bad trip territory you won't remember this much less who or what you are
>>
Reuben Smalllock - Sun, 06 Oct 2019 06:19:31 EST L0g1UXFX No.898951 Reply
>>898894
I read that a lot and i think there is truth to it. On my last trip i was watching a very ominous and dark series, which was not a good idea. A bad trip started, but the thoughts were not what was bad. I was feeling intense physical pain in the left half of my body when i was leaning or trying to lay in the bed. Like thousands of needles stitching at once. My thoughts were still somewhat clear, but it took ages for the pain to fade away and me and especially my girl were very worried. Is there anything i can do to avoid something like this? I didn't think it could affect me in such a physical way.
>>
Matilda Punderdig - Sun, 06 Oct 2019 11:16:17 EST yvKJAh/D No.898956 Reply
>>898947
Which kind of just goes to prove that bad trips arise from people's general attitudes and outlooks that they take with them into the trips. It's essentially a lifestyle, world outlook, and habitual thought pattern (whether neurotic or positive, the neurotic being the problematic one of course) problem. It's not about remembering to tell yourself this stuff to calm yourself down in a trip, it's about believing this stuff before hand because it's how you look at the world in the first place that determines how you'll react.

So, long story short, if you're a neurotic person, prone to negative thoughts and beliefs, mentally weak/not mentally resilient, etc., and you take a psychedelic, you're gonna have a bad time. Maybe not the first trip, maybe not even for a few, but a bad trip is more or less an inevitability with that kind of mind set and poor mental health.
>>
Barnaby Heshpick - Sun, 06 Oct 2019 11:36:34 EST bfdi1EF7 No.898959 Reply
>>898894
Take 15 grams of shrooms and talk about not getting overwhelmed.
>>
Wesley Sacklewill - Sun, 06 Oct 2019 16:08:30 EST LywZUfmH No.898964 Reply
>>898959
Isn't too bad if you have prepared yourself for it. Remind yourself that it'll all be over in 8 hours and that any pancosmic transdimensional damage you do in the trip will just fix itself automatically when the drugs wears off because it's all hallucinations maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
>>
Cornelius Cellyfot - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 01:38:43 EST gSRlJB6i No.898970 Reply
>>898959
If you want to have a good trip you can. Just have to let go and accept the trip for what it is. It's all in your head.
>>
Frederick Clepperforth - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 07:06:22 EST LywZUfmH No.898973 Reply
>>898970
Brace for angry schizos, but I cannot stress how important that is.

Even if you take a monster dose and forget what reality is, the knowledge (when sober) that it is all a subjective experience in your mind will really give you a safety net.

"I dunno for how long I will be dying and returning to life only to die again, but wventually it'll be fine. I am sure of that."
>>
James Trotwell - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 08:48:00 EST Yzf2kwQX No.898974 Reply
I agree with OP that staying positive and "chill" will help immensely, but also agree with George >>898896 that, most trip reports I've seen go super well, and my own, I just embraced the suck and rolled with it, most people online call this the "surrender" part, it's not the same as giving up imo, surrender in a psychedelic/mystical context usually means "giving up the moment into the hands of whatever powers are above you" so, for some that may be The Universe, or God, or a guardian angel or spirit guide, or maybe even simply the effects of the drug itself. The psychological effect of this trust in your environment automatically puts a calm over your mind, and this is one of the reasons syrrender is recommended, because with a mind at ease you can rather easily return back to a more positive state and have a better trip.
>>
Mr_Shawmeen - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 10:23:27 EST 0pwVhcgP No.898975 Reply
>>898973
I'm willing to agree with this, but it really only applies up to a point. If you can't remember or interpret what "you" are, or thoughts themselves are impossible to control then there's nothing you can take with you. At that point you're simply existing as a hallucination yourself and there's nothing to accept as you just are. On truly monster doses all forms of amnesia are a real thing.
>>
Fanny Hublingstone - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 13:46:53 EST bfdi1EF7 No.898977 Reply
>>898970
When you take very large doses, you won't realize what is good and what is bad.
>>
Awe' God !!Bwteoy2D - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 15:50:05 EST eqA4Nfhs No.898991 Reply
>>898894
>So I've tripped quite a few times on psychedelics over the past few years and something I've learned that is quite simple but works well is that a good and a bad trip is really all in your mind. Everything that happens during the course of your trip is controlled by you. Your setting, who you surround yourself with and how you decide to keep your mindset, whether you are determined to stay positive or let your anxiety take over and lead you into a bad trip.
On a higher level, I have to agree with you, but on practical terms this is not always the case. Some choices (actually a lot of them) are not conscious, bruh... Anyway, I had trips where doom just came out of the blue, sadness came over me as soon as I took the shrooms, I still love the shrooms and my gut health wasn't quite perfect at that time, but all I could do is accept it, I couldn't change it to euphoria and ecstasy, I didn't fight it and it was actually really beautiful, but in practical terms, no you don't control it all.

Trip more, mr Shadowman.
>>
Mr_Shawmeen - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 17:26:09 EST 7qaatVad No.899002 Reply
>>898991
I think on all doses short of full immersion you can practice breathing techniques and use positive stimuli and other positive reinforcement to avoid negative thoughts and feelings. If you ask me though part of what makes fully immersive doses of things special and amazing is their inherently uncontrollable nature. It's the point where you're entering into a relationship with the substance itself and it is mercilessly revealing.
>>
Awe' God !!Bwteoy2D - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 17:51:21 EST eqA4Nfhs No.899004 Reply
>>899002
tell that to folks with severe depression, there's more at play here dude, I'm telling you. And I'm not one of those self empowerment and personal responsibility deniers, quite the opposite actually, but I've experienced enough to know that there's more to the story and there are cases you haven't exp/ thought about.
>>
>>
Oliver Gecklehood - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 17:59:56 EST kLV3S8Jp No.899005 Reply
every time i have had a bad trip, i was confronting repressed emotions, and it helped me in the long run
>>
The Shadowman - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 18:05:50 EST gSRlJB6i No.899007 Reply
>>898991
Trust me I'm aware of this, that's why I said it's harder to do keep this mindset on higher doses, but I think it's generally good advice for people just starting out who have anxiety and are taking lower doses. Sometimes those feelings can come out of the blue, I've been through it myself man, I've tripped a decent amount so I know, and I believe you can always remain in control of your thoughts if you truly desire to, if some believe they can't, maybe they shouldn't be tripping to begin with. I've tripped with severe anxiety, depression and being in a bad setting but I still managed to get through it usually. But I'm not saying it's easy either, I'm simply pointing out something that is useful as a tool. Regardless it's not a black and white thing. Everyone reacts differently to drugs, everyone processes things differently and thinks differently.

I also have had many trips go from bad at the start to good once I did let go, maybe this isn't the case for you but for many it is a matter of fighting the trip which leads to bad trips, not accepting whatever passing thoughts you're having.
>>
Awe' God !!Bwteoy2D - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 18:16:21 EST eqA4Nfhs No.899008 Reply
>>899007
>maybe this isn't the case for you
No brah, I'm the exception to the rule here... c-mon.

Thoughts - yes in most cases, mood - definitely not necessarily...
>>
Mr_Shawmeen - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 20:42:20 EST o29wBSF3 No.899014 Reply
>>899004
I've been severely depressed myself. I was pretty fucked up for years after my father passed. Watching him slowly die was hard, watching my mother try to give us to the state while he was dying was harder, sticking her in the nuthouse was harder still, and then moving right after sucked too. For me on some of those doses the trips I made to my memories and the life review aspects of it were very uplifting until all my thoughts and memories were splattered into nothingness by the 500+ mg of DMT coursing through my veins. Deconstructed and reconstructed endlessly into forms and senses of being that still defy my ability to properly explain it almost 10 years later, there are no human words. Psychedelics gave me more than they've taken and when they took me to dark places I went there without any ability to resist despite every preparation. Again these were always just stops on the way to something else I can't properly describe or explain even if I try to from time to time.
I'm probably close to 500 trips in both psy and dis, and I'm telling you man if you take enough it's not gonna matter or make sense. On the bright side the parts that are distinctly human are only parts.
>>
Mr_Shawmeen - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 21:11:03 EST o29wBSF3 No.899019 Reply
>>899009
It's funny right, one of the few worthwhile things Timothy Leary shat out is still to this day no regurgitated when needed. Guess he shouldn't have spent all that time chasing little girls around in his robes.
>>
Edwin Dartdale - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 21:26:59 EST g4jaCXyD No.899020 Reply
1570498019601.jpg -(54428B / 53.15KB, 768x431) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>899019
Man, fuck people who are down on Leary. The dude broke out of jail and fled to Africa with the Black Panthers, that's badass. And I think he had a positive impact on helping shape the culture.

It's not like he wasn't the only LSD advocate who the government was after.
>>
Martha Clevingway - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 21:42:39 EST O+nLOUrh No.899021 Reply
>>899020
yeah but he kicked Keasey off the compound because the pranksters were to "loud"

that lil bitch couldn't even party
>>
Awe' God !!Bwteoy2D - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 21:42:41 EST eqA4Nfhs No.899022 Reply
>>899014
>500+ mg of DMT coursing through my veins
Nigga, please...

>I'm telling you man if you take enough it's not gonna matter or make sense.
Yeah, when you don't even recall a concept of humanity or bodily existence for that matter, nothing here applies, but it's not like we can really say much of anything about these trips so why even mention?

As for humane trips and especially trips still very much inside the body, I totally agree it can all be a positive experience and is totally up to you to decide (I don't regret a single trip and there were many of them fairly challenging), that doesn't mean it's always up to you whether your whole nervous system is sad and depressed or you are elated and happy. This is fucking obvious methinks and shouldn't even be discussed, but here we are, eh?
>>
Mr_Shawmeen - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 22:07:15 EST o29wBSF3 No.899025 Reply
>>899022
It can be easily estimated how much you're dosing by way of bark if you threshold dose with it. It is not rocket science. "You're whole nervous system is sad and depressed" and with that you are conflating terms and I wonder if you know what you're saying. Where seritonergic substances are concerned it's hard to say what will happen and how it will effect mood, because ya know, they're fucking seritonergic substances. The original point I was making if you remember is that sometimes you can control these thing, but it was said that you can even with "monster doses" to which I disagreed. Realistically when I took that high dose it was on accident and it was 60 some odd grams of MHRB that was on the potent side of things. That makes for 1-1.7% or more DMT not counting analogs which is truly more than 500mg but I round down, because out of 2 or 3 large doses I've taken like that 500mg seems to be the ceiling.
>>
Awe' God !!Bwteoy2D - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 22:11:28 EST eqA4Nfhs No.899026 Reply
>>899025
either you or me wasnt quite following the discussion.

as for 500 in veins that is retarded, man. iv 100 and if you recall anything come back here to agree with me.
>>
Ernest Fuckingman - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 22:11:59 EST qliH9paW No.899027 Reply
1570500719213.gif -(19411B / 18.96KB, 200x201) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>899021
What? Source?

Leary and Kesey were close until the end.
>>
Mr_Shawmeen - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 22:13:01 EST o29wBSF3 No.899028 Reply
>>899024
Without a perfectly preserved sample of the bark I had and a way to do GCMS it's impossible to say, but the experiences that were had with it at doses as low as 1.5 to 5 grams even were surprising. When speaking of the subjective experience and not scientific concepts it's all personal perspective.

Nb
>>
>>
Awe' God !!Bwteoy2D - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 22:18:26 EST eqA4Nfhs No.899030 Reply
>>899029
reread your post, i'm not strawmanning or writing this myself, sir.

>500+ mg of DMT coursing through my veins
>>
Mr_Shawmeen - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 22:22:19 EST o29wBSF3 No.899031 Reply
>>899027
Have you listened to that dummy talk though? For someone who scaled a prison then fucking ninja warrior style hung from a rope and monkey barred his way out of prison he spent tooooo much time tripping and talking about "expanding your conciousness". Some of its as bad as those threads "Dude what if everyone on earth did DMT together? Wouldn't it solve errrreeetang?!?!?" Still he was a character and it wasn't all bad, he had his contributions, but if he were as evolved as he thought then he'd have realized he was asking too much change. I liked Alan Watts more in terms of modern philosophers but he has problems too, as do we all.
>>
Mr_Shawmeen - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 22:24:19 EST o29wBSF3 No.899032 Reply
>>899030
Well yeah dummy, the drugs you eat end up in your blood and consequently in your brain too(sometimes). Which people have mislabeled a "blood poisoning" effect for decades, god it sounds dumb.

Nb
>>
Awe' God !!Bwteoy2D - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 22:29:30 EST eqA4Nfhs No.899033 Reply
>>899032
so much for intelligence, turns out you not only reject shitposting, but don't get to enjoy machined conversations either...

I could spend time explaining this to you, but my earlier point about 100mg should have been sufficient to at least make you not arrogant and question your reason and ultimately the point that I called out as bullshit.... Well, maybe you are drunk or something and we will get along great, but it seems now like you tard like the rest 99% of folks here except that you are way worse because this is all about intelligent discussion for you...

My job is done here, stay boring bro.
>>
Mr_Shawmeen - Mon, 07 Oct 2019 22:53:24 EST o29wBSF3 No.899034 Reply
>>899033
What the fuck are you trying to say? That you black out from immersive doses? Christ you're a moron. This is why you were originally branded the village idiot and we come full circle. Punctuation makes for proper pacing and allows others to try and interpret what it is you are trying to say. As for attempting to humble someone you believe is truly arrogant doesn't that kind of defeat itself? Anyways, orally ingesting something like DMT even in mass quantities doesn't make for instant blackout as it comes on, peaks, and tapers off, you should know this.
>>
Martha Clevingway - Tue, 08 Oct 2019 19:02:18 EST O+nLOUrh No.899070 Reply
>>899033
>should have been sufficient to at least make you not arrogant

in one of the most arrogant posts on /psy/ right now

lmfao get over yourself kiddo
>>
Mr_Shawmeen - Tue, 08 Oct 2019 22:48:42 EST BtaO8f1P No.899077 Reply
>>899074
That's some mighty fine esoteric usage of old school prog lyrics. I guess you get a golf clap? To the point that the thread was about originally the right music can make a good guide or solid emotional base to blast off from. In the OP I don't think that combination would really be too dangerous as I thought SSRI's shirt circuited these kinds of psys to a degree but 7 grams is still a good bit.

As a frame of reference for anyone following I've known people who have done higher doses than me. I've known people who did what I though would be too much regularly. To clarify most of those super massive doses were on purpose but the really big one was an accident and there are blank spots to it that only register as a sensation.
>>
Polly Dezzlebury - Tue, 08 Oct 2019 23:12:33 EST 4Kk3JT3E No.899079 Reply
There's truth to this but it's not foolproof. Sometimes there really is nothing that gives you comfort that can sway your thoughts and flip your trip. I think of bad trips like a maze. Sometimes there is no way out, or you can't see it.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.