420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
I am going to do something today by Jack Trotbury - Fri, 12 May 2017 12:37:07 EST ID:0VxQSvb/ No.516159 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1494607027293.jpg -(543990B / 531.24KB, 2048x1360) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 543990
After spending some time here, reading yous helpful posts, I have decided to sit on my bicycle, ride to the cottage through nature and spend a night there. I know this isn't board related but I'm just letting you know, I think I've been getting a very slight bit of hope which might ease up my depression a bit. Just letting you all know, I like you people.
pic is just a random cottage
>>
Jack Trotbury - Fri, 12 May 2017 15:55:38 EST ID:0VxQSvb/ No.516160 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I just came back and holy shit in such short amount of time I've met:
>a former classmate who's working a job with a pretty nice salary
>a former classmate who's a dj and really enjoys her job and is a nice person overall
>a former classmate who's married and also has a pretty nice job
Meanwhile I'm trying my best with what I have and look like a depressive alcoholic, which I was but as of today I'm trying to finally put myself in order and make something out of myself. I can see myself struggling to barely become a proper working human being, it's going to be rough but at least some of the people on this board have scratched the surface of my worthless life and cast a ray of hope.
I'm ranting and seeking for advice, I don't know. Sorry for blogging.
>>
Doris Hackleridge - Fri, 12 May 2017 16:41:41 EST ID:n1yNxChx No.516162 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I'd give you advice but I'm also struggling to make something of myself
What seems to work for me is to cut out bad stuff from your life and to not waste your time.
>>
Thomas Gevingbanks - Fri, 12 May 2017 17:40:10 EST ID:2cRqUGEL No.516166 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516160
that's awesome, catching up with old buddies. I guess it's a small town.
Depression sucks, but getting out sometimes is good. Forcing yourself out sometimes is also very good. It's a long hard road but I would ride my bike a lot and a bit of exercise really helped. It wouldn't solve my problems and it's not a magical cure but it gives a bit of respite and a change of scenery.
If I hadn't gone out on a bike ride on a bit of a shitty day a few months back, I never would have met this amazing old man that offered me tea with milk from his own cows who gave me sound life advice and was a real friendly dude.
>>
Hedda Hinningkock - Sat, 13 May 2017 06:58:25 EST ID:q+kvsewG No.516187 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516162
Yeah, that's what I'm doing too, hope it works out for both of us.
>>516166
Sounds really cool, although tea with milk? I've never tried that lol. Also what kind of exercises do you do? I'm forcing myself to eat healthy so I could feel less pain in stomach while running, I'm running like 20 minutes every day and I'm not sure if that's enough but I'm not fit and feel all that exercising just isn't enough. Demotivation and depression are great killers but I'm trying my best with just the power of mind.
Oh yeah, what life advice did the old guy give you if I may ask?
>>
Martin Grimville - Sat, 13 May 2017 07:42:11 EST ID:B7uMUppB No.516189 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Seems nice OP
>>
Simon Nicklewell - Sat, 13 May 2017 07:46:01 EST ID:zeAktjTF No.516190 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516187
Exercise a good diet and enough sleep are good for any problem but they will rarely cure it. They'll just leave you in the best possible state to deal with it.

Make sure you're actually eating healthy and not just following what looks like a pretty picture of food or some shit. I've been without hope and lost a lot of years to it but once you start moving properly you'll realise that it's better late than never and that the direction you're headed in is pretty important. Don't delude yourself into thinking you'll ever life the same life as you might have without that time out but you will still find that it's worth improving your shit and making the most out of what you can. In time you will be glad you did it and even glad you're alive.
>>
Hedda Hinningkock - Sat, 13 May 2017 14:19:36 EST ID:q+kvsewG No.516203 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1494699576830.gif -(1235413B / 1.18MB, 320x180) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>516189
Thank you Martin.
>>516190
The reason it's kinda difficult for me to maintain a healthy diet is money and motivation for cooking, I just don't know how to cook, I've botched up a few times simple stuff. Money wise, as I'm trying to force myself into exercising I just can't afford to eat a specific amount of calories and proteins per day but I'll try to eat fruits and vegetables because those are pretty cheap.
Another thing I'd love to mention is cold shower, god cold showers can make you feel so refreshed and reincarnated, I am so glad to discover such thing. I strongly recommend to everyone.
All in all I think I'm heading into right direction, very slowly but I'm heading somewhere. I hope everything turns out nice and I wish you all seeking reformation to try to find goals and achieve them. Now I'll stop babbling like some cheesy just-do-it trainer.
>>
Wesley Seshfudge - Sat, 13 May 2017 14:46:43 EST ID:Awn2BIsC No.516204 Ignore Report Quick Reply
sounds nice, wish i had a cottage
>>
Simon Nicklewell - Sat, 13 May 2017 16:23:44 EST ID:zeAktjTF No.516206 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516203
>I've botched up a few times simple stuff
Cooking mistakes come down to two things basically. Usually a combo of both. I'm not a master chef however I am capable of feeding myself well. I'm also good at balancing numbers because I'm an accountant. An accountant who works out because with a job like accountancy I REALLY need it. And no I make fuck all money because I'm a public sector junior (for the time being) accountant.
>not following the recipe to the rote or taking liberties you actually cannot
>inexperience
When my parents divorced we lived with dad, he didn't hate cooking it's just mum likes it and she's a great cook and wouldn't let him at the oven. He was at fishfinger sandwiches level and for the first 6 months everything burned. Slowly though he started to not fuck everything up. He actually made a mean sausagemeat pie. After a couple of years he got a girlfriend but he kept cooking. They split up and then he met a woman he'd later marry (bad choice dad but whatever) by this point she was actually intimidated by his cooking. This was after a few years.

Cooking is simple when you learn all the basic steps and not fucking them up. I just oven roast shit in a pot most days with a load of herbs and spices. Even that was find a recipe, try it, fine tune it. I used to cook dinner for the family when I was a kid so I've never been a terrible cook but at first I struggled and I did botch things. Follow recipes to the rote, watch how to's (no youtube when I was 15, we couldn't even afford dial up because it's not free where I am) etc play it safe and learn the basics. I am not a masterchef but I always surprise people by turning out something edible when I cook for them. Except my chocolate brownies, those got me fanmail last time I brought a batch into the office.

If I had anyone to cook for I'd be fucking good I think. That said, be careful with knives, always slice away from your hand. Always. No matter how safe you think you are. And if you're cooking high be doubly careful. I've got a fingertip that's not quite on right (and is numb) from overlooking that. Right now we have an epidemic of "avocado hand" from people who think the stone will shield their hand and then it doesn't.

Anyway I suggest sticking at cooking. Like exercise don't over reach because you'll injure yourself/waste food but just work slowly upwards and step it up if it gets harder. Learning to cook is another thing you will have done and should be proud of once you do. Plenty of "adults" never learn that. I went to university with people who grew up on the turkey drumsticks and chips diet and we had to break them into food that wasn't just potatoes, bread and MRM with baked beans as "vegetables".

Meat is expensive but eggs are cheap protein. You need 3 big ones to get your RDA of protein (as you're not lifting or anything you don't need to eat 200g of protein a day but if you're trying to improve fitness I'd try to overshoot it every day) and that's horrific but slip one or two per day into your diet as a protein source as they're pretty fucking cheap. Replace something like bread or cereals or some refined carb shit with them. Cereal is probably the best thing to drop if you eat it. it's not that cheap and it's nutritionally devoid. An egg or two and maybe an apple. Apples are full of vitamins and minerals and fibre.You probably can eat a reasonably good number of calories and stuff if you're not aiming for super protein quantities on a budget. Just eat some nuts, eggs and beans and make sure you don't go over on calories. Veg and fruit to bulk it out and keep you healthy. Rice and pasta is empty calories but if you've got a few portions of veg and fruit and a couple of eggs and 50g of beans and 25g of nuts honestly you can probably make the rest of your calories up with empty carbs and be okay.
>>
Phineas Hablingmeck - Sun, 14 May 2017 02:56:21 EST ID:rbmWf9Jx No.516226 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1494744981772.jpg -(108789B / 106.24KB, 900x900) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>516203
I dunno man but I keep seeing this cold shower stuff around, at one point I was replying to people telling them to take cold showers because it really helped me understand "positive challenges." or rather, "how to do unpleasant shit even when you know it's good for you."

I seriously think cold showers unlock a hidden mentality in people, I keep reading positive success stories and they always mention cold showers.

maybe it's a meme and I just don't recognize it.

fuck it, ima take a cold shower right now
>>
Esther Publingkane - Sun, 14 May 2017 15:15:18 EST ID:WCiWyIpM No.516233 Ignore Report Quick Reply
advice with cooking, it's way easier than you think

step 1: find recipe on the internet of what you want to make
step 2: purchase ingredients
step 3: follow intructions

i just started this year. i've made lasagna, shepherd's pie, a potato bacon soup.. all kinds of delicious white people food
it's fucking shocking how many years i've spent living on take out
>>
Isabella Dirringbere - Sun, 14 May 2017 16:12:46 EST ID:SwxeG+Tj No.516236 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516159
bless you OP, hope is pretty cool stuff I must agree.
>>
Priscilla Sundlesteck - Sun, 14 May 2017 20:36:53 EST ID:2cRqUGEL No.516237 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516187
It's warm tea, kept in a flask. Not iced tea

I don't really do nearly as much anymore since moving house, but it was cycling once every week or two, yoga and basic exercises I need to do because my back's fucked anyway. You seem to be doing way more exercising than me lol.
I used to do so much biking a few years ago though, daily in the summer as long as the UK weather is "good". Loved it, but went to uni and zero time and heavy depression meant when I got on my bike again my fitness level was so low that it's almost discouraging right now because I'm dying merely cycling up a small hill that I wouldn't have even thought about before.

Old guy gave me nothing too special, just something I needed to hear at the time, on how you shouldn't really be in a job you don't like, so once you're in a field you do, fight and achieve as hard as possible because you're gonna be enjoying it. Apparently he spent years and years in a shit job and spent his last 10 in one he really loved and everything improved around him.
He also had a son who took up advertising who now works in Dubai in the most expensive district and makes millions a year. He was a super interesting guy to talk to and recommended me a good cycle route to ride too.
>>
Alice Gellyfone - Mon, 15 May 2017 09:39:10 EST ID:BaE5orVi No.516246 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1494855550245.jpg -(103302B / 100.88KB, 700x990) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>516206
>>516233
>That said, be careful with knives, always slice away from your hand. Always. No matter how safe you think you are.
My two not so badly scarred fingers can attest to that lol.

>>516226
Did you take it? Did you like it?
I'm on 4th day of cold showers only and so far they make me feel great. I can't stress how different cold showers can make you feel. Goodbye long hot showers!
>>516236
It's more power of mind and persistence than hope, hope usually has a bad image for some reason when I mention it.
>>516237
>You seem to be doing way more exercising than me lol.
I wish man. I'm doing pic related and some arm exercies once a day and it's pretty exhausting to be honest, my muscles hurt for a couple of hours after "work out". I'm actually not sure if they're supposed to hurt as a sign of progress or not, I'm completely out of shape. I feel like I'm doing it all for nothing and I'll never see any progress on my body but still I'm determined, better that than nothing.
Glad the old fella gave you the insight for life, we just might all make it after all.
>>
Graham Pullerfudging - Mon, 15 May 2017 10:45:53 EST ID:n1yNxChx No.516247 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516246
Consider a personal trainer? It's hard to kind of flail in the existential fitness void; feeling like you're making progress is important.
>>
William Haggledock - Mon, 15 May 2017 13:35:13 EST ID:WVSsaSHI No.516250 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516246
You don't need a personal trainer. You could also post on /ana/ and ask for some bodyweight shit for an absolute beginner.

Your muscles hurting the next day (and maybe a day or two after) is a good sign though it usually stops once you've been working out for a while. If they're tired and a little sore after workout that's fine. If they really sting then tone it down and do a bit less of the same thing.

Whether you get a trainer or not I will advise this. More than 12 reps in a set and you're well into diminishing returns (3 or 4 sets of 3 to 5 reps is good for pure strength but 3-5 sets of 8-12 is better if you want bigger muscles, this does improve strength and gives you the ability to maintain the strength for longer). Muscles actually don't need to be trained hard every day for best results either. I'd say have a slightly more thoroughly planned workout and then go for walks, or even jogs on odd days. Try to work all your muscles with more than one exercise and note: abs show up from being thin, no amount of sit ups will help. Core strength is useful but if you have a well balanced routine you'll only need to do a little work on it. You cannot spot burn fat, you can focus your muscle building and have to select each area you build and you can lose fat from your whole body.

Don't get me wrong. You're setting aside time every day to work out. Repetition is one of the pillars of exercise and it's the hardest one. However you need a reasonable workout and a not awful diet for good results. Even on a budget you can probably improve them enough to get some results given how solid your dedication is. If you are doing 3 lots of 20 of each of those exercises you could do a much better routine.
>>
Alice Gellyfone - Mon, 15 May 2017 15:29:18 EST ID:BaE5orVi No.516252 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516250
I've gathered a couple of advices from /ana/ from previous threads, they all seemed to be in the same spot where I'm now. So to make it clear - 3 to 5 sets of 8 to 12 reps, 36 to 60 in total daily is enough? I have already started with 3 sets of 20 reps, sorry this has to be spoon fed to me word to word but I just want to be completely sure I'm not doing it wrong.
>Try to work all your muscles with more than one exercise and note: abs show up from being thin, no amount of sit ups will help.
The most I'm concerned with are arms, I have freakishly thin arms with almost zero fat (alcohol abuse) so my main goal is to gain something that will not make me look like an auschwitz victim, after that I'll be confident enough to stroll into the local gym and grab those dumbbells.
After saying all that I'm not sure to make a new thread on /ana/ but the board is very slow.
>Repetition is one of the pillars of exercise and it's the hardest one.
>>
George Brookwell - Mon, 15 May 2017 15:51:39 EST ID:yUhAjzvV No.516253 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516246
> I'm actually not sure if they're supposed to hurt as a sign of progress or not, I'm completely out of shape
Once you get some experience, it's really easy to tell whether or not the soreness you feel is from acute (but still healthy) usage and exhaustion, the more long term soreness that comes from having a good work out that can last up to a week at times (or rarely, longer), or from causing physical damage to yourself.

The first two are both good things that you can expect to feel. Both are things that you can expect an abundance of if you're out of shape especially. Eventually, as you work out more, you start to feel like you aren't able to make as much progress because that kind of soreness gets harder and harder to cause directly after a work out and the kind that lingers for a few days either doesn't occur at all or only lasts for a day or two at most. Eventually it stops happening altogether, and it feels kind of like something is missing, but it just means that it's more challenging to make legitimate progress.
>>
William Haggledock - Mon, 15 May 2017 17:43:49 EST ID:WVSsaSHI No.516260 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516252
Yeah, 4 sets of 12 is probably plenty. Most people advising lots of sets seem to say stop at 4. So maybe 5 sets of 10?

As far as your body goes, don't just work on one area. I mean arms are visible and you can focus on them but if you have tiny legs and no pectorals you blew it. e

Do you have any weights or is this bodyweight? If you have weights a whole world of possibilities opens. What equipment do you have?

Also a lot of arm exercises also work other muscle groups. I'd recommend at least one exercise that works your chest, one for your back and one for your shoulders. Ideally 2 of each. If you have no weights I'd say there's a lot of bodyweight shit you can do and if gets too easy you can wear weights, wear a bag with some books in (done up tight) while you do them to progressively add weight.

Lastly growth requires muscles. If you have no anything then you need to sort your diet. it's easier to stick loads of protein in cheaply if you're trying to run a slight surplus than a loss. I often preach eat veg but do it and some fruit. But after that your cheapest proteins are eggs and maybe soy beans or nuts though soy has it's own drawbacks (possibly?) and nuts are not entirely amino complete so you'll need to mix it up. Meat can be great but avoid processed shit, it's really bad for you, sausages, burgers, hot dogs and of course bacon. However steaks are not cheap. If you're trying to gain weight then chicken legs or wings aren't a bad source. They're a bit fatty but they're often super fucking cheap. Don't go fucking nuts but eat a bit more if you want results.

>>516253
>Delayed onset muscle soreness
Yeah. At first you should just exercise when it's mostly gone, then when it's gone. Then just on your schedule. When I started working out I was a fatass and I had DOMs for 3 or 4 days at a time but eventually I was hitting the gym 3 to 4 times a week and then they weren't even there. I'm progressing but I get them very rarely now.
>>
Shitting Drablingtudge - Tue, 16 May 2017 06:54:05 EST ID:GnmIsrNn No.516276 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516253
>>516260
You have basically answered everything I needed to know. Thank you guys.
>>
Cedric Pecklepog - Tue, 16 May 2017 19:55:40 EST ID:kAEKpfyQ No.516286 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I decided to ride my bike across the US to help with my depression and internet addiction and I got hit by a truck and broke my arm on the second day of the trip lol. Somehow I still have the feeling of hope and I haven't been discouraged though. Amazing what a little activity will do for you. Keep it up man.
>>
Clara Worthingstone - Thu, 18 May 2017 06:52:48 EST ID:TIp+AfB7 No.516311 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516286
Damn, is your arm okay now? Talk about luck.
>>
Doris Murdfield - Fri, 19 May 2017 11:39:18 EST ID:kAEKpfyQ No.516343 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516311
I'm going to have to have surgery to put in a metal plate but I'm sure it will be fine after that.
>>
Lillian Doffingpork - Fri, 19 May 2017 12:15:35 EST ID:WVSsaSHI No.516344 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>516343
I imagine the brush with death and weird balance of endorphins helps.

Also having something you were looking forward to. A goal. A purpose. Going round America, having that thing to live for and that challenge to overcome felt good. If you're still planning it (and you should do it one day even if you get better without it) then it probably still feels good.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.