Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

PTSD?

- Sun, 09 Aug 2020 23:36:19 EST chJdEY/L No.535669
File: 1597030579489.jpg -(88697B / 86.62KB, 448x478) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. PTSD?
It’s been awhile since I’ve been here, but idk where to ask this. So here goes nothing.

Has anybody here been diagnosed with PTSD without feeling they have been through what they feel to be a major traumatic incident?

Idk I’ve been speaking with an online therapist due to the pandemic and she feels quite strongly that I may have PTSD, but like the most trauma I’ve been through is probably having the shit beat out of me and getting kicked out of the house as a kid without clothes for a good 15 mins, or losing all my online friends at age 12?

Kinda asking because while I’m thinking of possibly getting checked out irl, aside from the above, all I’ve got the usual toxic mum and absent father, the whole depressed/anxious formula. I’d like to know if there’s something more that can possibly be helped with, otherwise, if it’s the same shit all over and just more going through shitty therapists, I’d rather just keep going my own way
>>
Nathaniel Goodford - Sun, 09 Aug 2020 23:43:24 EST suOUJIIv No.535670 Reply
1597031004157.png -(737292B / 720.01KB, 622x684) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>535669
>having the shit beat out of me and getting kicked out of the house as a kid without clothes for a good 15 mins
OP that is child abuse. You were abused. Child abuse is one of the most common forms of PTSD. You may have repressed how you felt about this which is leading you to think that it's not as big of a deal as it was.
>>
Matilda Sandertag - Mon, 10 Aug 2020 03:13:26 EST chJdEY/L No.535673 Reply
>>535670

Thanks for helping clear it up for me. I’m Asian and pretty much everybody I know has been beaten as a child, so I didn’t really think too much about it. I guess there might actually be something here to get checked out then.
>>
Betsy Blashshaw - Mon, 10 Aug 2020 07:39:01 EST OgJtgsGx No.535676 Reply
>>535673
Yeah man. When parents use force that's what they teach as a coping skill. No matter how wrong you are, you can use force to get through any situation, and if the situation is such where you can't use force, you must seethe. PTSD is your outward expression of the normalization of that attitude, grinded out over years, multiplied by a million other factors that are all in conflict.
>>
Jarvis Blatherville - Tue, 11 Aug 2020 09:41:16 EST TtXni/Rr No.535695 Reply
You can get PTSD symptoms from lots of different types of trauma, "big" traumas and "small" traumas, your logical mind might know the difference but your body and emotions don't always know the difference and won't always listen to logic

PTSD is very curable nowadays, there are loads of treatments that have been proven to be effective, people go from hiding and crying every time a car backfires or their partner says "hello" when they aren't expecting it, to... you know.. not having any startle reaction at all! Or they go from feeling numb to feeling all the emotions, good and bad, and none too strongly

If you read old books they will tell you there's no help for you, and so many people are into psychoanalysis from 100 years ago as a hobby that this idea gets passed around a lot, but thankfully it's not true any more

Take your time, go easy on yourself, and get help, you deserve to feel better, living with PTSD or non-PTSD trauma symptoms is awful and it's completely unnecessary

If at any point the therapy makes you feel much worse tell the therapist they are going too fast, but a good trauma therapist won't go too fast
>>
John Dacklehall - Tue, 11 Aug 2020 17:06:21 EST Y82hsDyK No.535698 Reply
do you have any friends that have gone through serious trauma? Second hand trauma is a thing.
>>
Lydia Bangerford - Mon, 17 Aug 2020 02:52:43 EST a/xNAviH No.535769 Reply
>>535676

That whole bit about PTSD being the normalization of violence/force was probably the best explanation I've ever heard so far, and it really helps put a lot of things into perspective for me, since I've come really close to committing violent crimes a couple of times and while I always try to de-escalate situations in fights, when hearing about physical abuse, my reaction is to always suggest a level of violence more extreme than the abuser.

Thank god I'm a little older and in a bit of a better place now, but that whole realization pretty much cemented the fact that I need help for this.

>>535695
Yeah, the brain's a funny thing. I got caught for dealing in thailand once, following some dumbass suggestion of my ex, and that was probably a lot more traumatic than getting my ass beat as a kid, even if I did manage to get a friend to bribe my ass out.

But thank you too, I've done some reading up as well and it appears you're right, PTSD is no longer like my ancient preconceived notion that it's not treatable. I guess there is some hope to be had after all :)

>>535698
Uh, I'm not sure if any friends have got similarly roughed up as much as I've been, although my last ex was a rape victim and was supposedly diagnosed with PTSD in the beginning of our relationship like 7 years back. If anything, she probably gave me PTSD from the crazy emotional and physical abuse she gave me, but that'd be a real bad joke.
>>
Polly Brungerway - Wed, 19 Aug 2020 16:13:32 EST VZaU/8aj No.535781 Reply
>>535669
>Getting the shit kicked out of me

That'll do it. Violence bad for good reason. Brain protect you. Need reassurance violence is gone before PTSD relief of brain.
>>
Simon Fuckingworth - Wed, 26 Aug 2020 12:51:26 EST bc8yQ32B No.535837 Reply
>>535832
>>535695
I wouldn't say it's "curable", but it's certainly treatable to the point where you can really manage triggers when they come up, reduce your distress, improve your relationships with other people. At the end of the day though the trauma is always going to be deep in there, and there are always going to be triggers. It's just a matter of how to cope with them when they come up

If you can see a counselor I would 100% do that

sometimes treatment involves de-generalizing the event. like undoing the thinking that if X happened in X circumstance, then X will also happen in ABCDEFG circumstances as well. when in reality, X happened in X circumstance, with X person/people, and X situation.

DBT & grounding skills can be useful too.

some people say building empathy towards those who inflicted trauma on you can be helpful. it makes it easier to understand and makes the world seem like less chaotic somehow. idk if that is clinically proven though
>>
Clara Chankinshit - Thu, 27 Aug 2020 03:08:44 EST cI9FEKEo No.535842 Reply
1598512124373.jpg -(100255B / 97.91KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>535837

>sometimes treatment involves de-generalizing the event. like undoing the thinking that if X happened in X circumstance, then X will also happen in ABCDEFG circumstances as well. when in reality, X happened in X circumstance, with X person/people, and X situation.

What would you recommend that I read to better understand concepts like de-generalizing and grounding skills? That's quite interesting and i'm too poor for therapy or college. I don't guess I can be my own therapist, bit I'd still look at it out of curiosity.

I'm not OP.
>>
Barnaby Dannerchene - Thu, 27 Aug 2020 04:07:16 EST bc8yQ32B No.535843 Reply
>>535842
This is a pretty good video about grounding skills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeO5fqHdU08

If you youtube "DBT skills" there are a shitload of videos you can watch for free about those. DBT can be good for emotional management if you are triggered by something.

the degeneralizing stuff is a smaller part of CPT, which is Cognitive Processing Therapy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqj5zDbkPxY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8a-dVIHumE
I could not really find a good video explaining it but found these giving you a general idea

It is hard to practice CPT on your own because it involves exploring your thoughts and "story" about the event(s). when we think about trauma it is usually triggering, which causes a lot of emotional activation in our brain, which makes it really really difficult to think about the "story" and/or identify the thoughts we are are having/thoughts that are keeping us "stuck". since the therapist is outside your brain they can much more easily pick up on your thought distortions

there is no self-help CPT unfortunately. it's all done with a therapist

there is some CBT resources like https://www.amazon.ca/Cognitive-Behavioral-Coping-Skills-Workbook , but a word of caution is that reading stuff about ptsd, like i mentioned, is in itself pretty triggering, so just be safe/have a mental health help line or something ready to go if you need to call someone if it gets that bad. but if you can tolerate it, the skills are useful!
>>
James Grandfoot - Sun, 30 Aug 2020 01:04:08 EST VMzmKgcf No.535880 Reply
>>535669
Unironically cry as much as u can.
Eat mostly meat
Get ur good sleep. PERFECT sleep

Maybe u had feelings and denied them to urself. Here, I have a solution. Find a place where u can be alone completely. Go solo camping or whatever. Bring literally nothing with u no phone NOTHING, do not eat. Stay for four days.
We always fucking distract ourselves with bullshit and it hides the gross stuff underneath. Feeling this shit will make it better. Just hold on..
Also if ur mom was controlling and weird and ur dad never taught u anything then yeah no wonder, everyone gets fucked up by that, not ur fault
>>
James Grandfoot - Sun, 30 Aug 2020 01:12:39 EST VMzmKgcf No.535882 Reply
>>535880
Ok, another thing. The solution is not "tactics". Do not constantly add shit to ur life, doesnt do shit. Take one and try it. Do it thoroughly and maybe it's good. But make sure u stick with it.
Blahblahblah "therapy". Maybe u know u shouldn't be confident because u aren't a man yet and u know u should be more. That's ok ur parents were obviously terrible as I said not ur fault what more is that u can change

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y45lHj1l7BE

But do the 4 day thing, called a dopamine fast. I did one recently and the difference was incredible. The trick is that being bored is like healing your brain, assuming you're an addict. I recommend camping because u can stare at the river and shit at least
>>
James Grandfoot - Sun, 30 Aug 2020 01:16:43 EST VMzmKgcf No.535884 Reply
1598764603753.jpg -(126285B / 123.33KB, 900x675) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>535882
Rather than adding things. Take away the bad things because u get accustomed, your brain and body adjusts to the bad and is changed in a bad way. Do NOT go on the life path where u go from thing 2 thing 2 thing...

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.