Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Interstellar

- Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:11:01 EST FWszKHrA No.54647
File: 1415661061349.jpg -(225767B / 220.48KB, 1047x1572) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Interstellar
Thoughts on this fucking terrible movie?

its about space chill out mods
>>
Otto Struve - Tue, 11 Nov 2014 00:05:25 EST s0EX07bb No.54648 Reply
>>54647
I've been looking forward to seeing this, why is it terrible?
Besides Mathew Mcconaughey being in it, and have black hair for some fucking reason.
>>
Otto Struve - Tue, 11 Nov 2014 00:06:33 EST s0EX07bb No.54649 Reply
>>54648
>and have black hair
Fuck me, I sound like a slav.
nb
>>
Roger Penrose - Tue, 11 Nov 2014 00:24:49 EST FWszKHrA No.54650 Reply
>>54647
Watch it and see for yourself. If you've watched good movies, you'll know this isn't one. It's just another hollywood sellout. If you want breathtaking visuals with suspense soundtrack to compensate for a fucking terrible attempt at meaningful philosophy then it is for you. It fits the narrative, cliche as fuck, more fantasy than sci-fi, romanticised, dramaticised. Come to my cinema, eat my expensiive popcorn, watch this movie, leave with a lower I.Q.

People say it's though provoking. It's not. It's fucking mind numbing and leaves nothing to the imagination or open to interpretation. Instead of giving you something to feed off it just feeds you.

Fucking hate what hollywood is doing to movies.
>>
Georges-Henri Lemaitre - Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:01:29 EST XJHlYsmW No.54651 Reply
At least the black hole and wormhole looked like an actual black hole and wormhole, and not a flat hole in space. But yeah, there was too much drama and too many daddy issues. If they'd cut out that whole sub-plot with his daughter it would have been fine.

Come to think of it, it should have been a TV series. There was just too much stuff and the pacing was too fast.

>more fantasy than sci-fi

How so? What was "fantasy" about it?
>>
George Gamow - Tue, 11 Nov 2014 18:40:03 EST D/9jn+Al No.54652 Reply
>>54651
>Muh interdimensional library
>Flying your ship straight into a blackhole
>Having that shit get ripped apart but somehow still survive any be located
>Sustaining humanity on corn
>Waiting alone on a ship for 27 years and not going completely batshit insane while your friends explore kevin Costners water world
>not some deluded fantasy

Seems legit.
>>
Ejnar Hertzprung - Tue, 11 Nov 2014 19:54:45 EST FWszKHrA No.54653 Reply
>>54652
Pretty much this is what I mean by fantasy. The whole tesseract thing with interdimensional gravity I mean it was just so cheap. He relays the crucial "quantum data" through fucking morse code on a watch and all that it was really quite childish. It was such a good opportunity to make a decent sci fi moviie which actually I believe everything pre cooper entering the black hole is great. should have ended there with either him dying or being stuck on the other side of space time indefinitely or something like that. No spaghettification, last second save and then the tesseract thing?
>>
Christiaan Huygens - Tue, 11 Nov 2014 19:59:20 EST XJHlYsmW No.54654 Reply
>>54652

I guess that all makes sense if you think "future humans with technology beyond our comprehension did it" is the same thing as fantasy. Clarke's law, and all that.

>>54653

So a movie plot being "cheap" and "childish" somehow makes it fantasy? I think you and I differ on the distinction between "SF" and "fantasy."
>>
Margaret Burbidge - Wed, 12 Nov 2014 10:14:47 EST s0EX07bb No.54655 Reply
>>54647
OP, if you wanna' watch a good sci-fi movie that came out this year, look up the The Signal. It's an indie film, so the plot is actually pretty good.
>>
Margaret Burbidge - Wed, 12 Nov 2014 23:18:10 EST 9uY/b809 No.54663 Reply
I thought it was pretty good. Definitely didn't need to be fucking nearly three hours though.
>>
Clyde Tombaugh - Thu, 13 Nov 2014 01:20:20 EST Yt4gKSCY No.54664 Reply
>>54663
First half of the movie felt like a waste of time... But as soon as they got into space... Thats when the shit started to become amazing

tl;dr cut out the family bullshit
>>
Daniel Kirkwood - Thu, 13 Nov 2014 09:18:39 EST zEbiCxNL No.54666 Reply
1415888319005.jpg -(100435B / 98.08KB, 490x750) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I really enjoyed this movie, there were some eye rolling parts that just were mechanics to move the plot along, but I think I can look past that to focus on the more important parts and bigger ideas.

The effects were amazing, the science and depiction of the wormhole and black hole galaxy was awesome. A lot of people didn’t understand the planet with the tidal wave, but the big misunderstanding is that it wasn’t a wave at all. The planet orbits very closely to the black hole, the black holes gravity is so intense that it puckers the tides at a certain point on the surface as the planet rotates. So at all times there is a point on the surface of this planet where the black hole is tugging on harder than other points. Sooooo, that explains why there was a giant rib of ocean water slowly moving over the surface and why there was a knee deep shallow ocean for miles around them otherwise. This part of the movie was really imaginative and fresh, I enjoyed it.

As for the black hole, I’m still a bit confused as to how and why he had to be that close to it and outside his ship to enter the dimensional shift that whoever was “looking out for them” was making for them. I’m sure we weren’t supposed to fully understand this part of the movie because it’s still a concept that is new to us. What I found REALLY curious was the way that the higher dimension looked and was depicted. It looked so closely like a few places I’ve visited in my few salvia trips. The tessellation of the same thing over and over in a 3 dimensional space with cubic corridors was nearly identical to things I’ve seen while smoking salvia. It’s definitely another thing that gets me excited about thinking about our place in the universe and how we perceive things in our place in time. Aside from that, I’m still not exactly sure how they were able to retrieve him from entering the black hole….

…unless the fact that they had been able to solve the equation to gravity made it possible for the future civ to be able manipulate gravity to the point to where they could enter the tides of the black hole and escape after grabbing Matthew who had only been there for a few minutes in his time due to the relativity and time bending. PHEW that was a mouthful and a mindful.

Anyway, the movie was technically impressive and full of fresh ideas, good actors, and highly accurate science. There were eye rolling parts but I think it was inevitable due to cramming so much time and story into one movie without being schlock. They possibly could have made this TWO movies to give it room to breathe but I still got a lot out of it regardless.
>>
Friedrich von Struve - Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:00:01 EST XJHlYsmW No.54696 Reply
>>54666
>…unless the fact that they had been able to solve the equation to gravity made it possible for the future civ to be able manipulate gravity to the point to where they could enter the tides of the black hole and escape after grabbing Matthew who had only been there for a few minutes in his time due to the relativity and time bending. PHEW that was a mouthful and a mindful.

This is exactly what happened.
>>
Isaac Newton - Fri, 19 Dec 2014 21:40:25 EST XwQwdExC No.54847 Reply
How does gravitational time dilation actually work around a black hole that is spinning at near light speed?? Surely Miller's planet would've had to be closer to Gargantua to experience that huge degree of time dilation.

Would viewing the events unfolding on Miller's planet appear slowed-down, when viewed from a distance? Does the slowing of time have any effect on the actual speed and rotation of the planet? No, right? Because light always travels at the same speed, even at different times? Like, if you spent what seemed like an hour on miller's world, would you have orbited the black hole like 1 million times (or however many times it would orbit in 7 earth years)? Maybe that's why the sky is like twilight there - everything in the sky is moving across it so fast (to the observer on the planet) that it just seems like a blur.

I saw this while tripping on a small dose of shrooms and I thought it was incredible. It was definitely long but I still felt like the dialogue seemed unnaturally fast-paced as though they were rushing through the scenes to make it as short as it was. The ideas presented were some of the most imaginitive and awesome space scenes I've ever seen. The whole movie "Gravity" couldve been like one "act" in this movie.

OFC the ending is all speculative bullshit, but hey, it's sci-fi. I understand that he didnt get "spaghettified" at the event horizon because he was already going at near light speed when he did the slingshot manuever around it, and while his ship was breaking apart he was crossing the horizon/orbiting at near light speed.
>>
Heinrich Olbers - Fri, 19 Dec 2014 23:10:35 EST NDuPef0Q No.54848 Reply
>>54666

>Anyway, the movie was technically impressive and full of fresh ideas, good actors, and highly accurate science.

That's definitely only an opinion.

I couldn't believe how shit this movie was. I literally had trouble accepting that this is what people think is acceptable cinema these days.

I guess I'm just not a big fan of Nolan himself. I couldn't sit through Inception even though I tried to watch it at least 3 times. These kind of movies rely too much on short, loud, shocking, and emotional scenes to keep the audience captivated and I can't stand that shit. Give me something slow paced and atmospheric as opposed to 8th grader physics been spouted over and over.

Philosophically the movie was ok but there was way too much emotion in it. Especially for fucking scientists that were on a goddamn mission. They're supposed to go through a bunch of psychoanalytical tests in case shit like that happens so they don't do stupid illogical shit because of emotions.
>>
Arno Penzias - Fri, 19 Dec 2014 23:23:10 EST XJHlYsmW No.54849 Reply
>>54848
>Give me something slow paced and atmospheric as opposed to 8th grader physics been spouted over and over.

Hilariously, that's what people who like FAST paced movies are calling this movie - too slow and without enough action.

Also, what country are you from where relativity is taught in 8th grade? In North America it's not taught until 11th-12th and that's in high-level classes, if at all.
>>
Grote Reuber - Sat, 20 Dec 2014 19:35:31 EST RwDntOyj No.54852 Reply
>>54849

Pretty sure I learned that stuff in freshmen class of high school because my grades weren't high enough to take the class that had then in 8th grade. Plus I went to school in the south which is two years behind northern schools. Either way, shut up yo. Plus I wanted to watch interstellar but I heard it sucks ass
>>
Kip Thorne - Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:20:56 EST 5O93DDXg No.54853 Reply
>>54849
Maybe it's just where I grew up (south cali) but relativity was never covered, ever. May have been mentioned, but no one bothered to really explain to any one around me that space and time is all relative, that the universe is far more complicated than presented.

To be totally honest I think Interstellar went right over most peoples heads. I felt it was accurate where it needed to be, creative where it was warranted like with the giant waves, and made shit up when it had to when inside the black hole.

I dare say it was this generations 2001. 10/10 enjoyed thoroughly.
>>
James Elliott - Thu, 01 Jan 2015 21:29:43 EST XwQwdExC No.54884 Reply
1420165783080.jpg -(140040B / 136.76KB, 800x556) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>54847 here,
I saw it again the other day (this time not tripping) and I actually really enjoyed it. First off I wanna say that the robots were extremely awesome, and I found the story to be quite grand and imaginative (for the most part... all the space scenes were by far the best parts of the film). I also really liked the visuals/cinematography; at one point the Endurance looked like a huge gleaming diamond spinning away from the earth while Michael Caine's character was speaking his "Rage, rage against the dying of the light" poem. I also really liked the music (it reminded me a lot of Philip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi) and I didnt get the sound problems that a lot of people were complaining about, with the score drowning out the dialogue.

I made a webm (with HD audio) of my favorite scene: the "Intense docking maneuver" over Mann's planet. The video is CAM quality, but the audio is multiplexed in from an HD source. Watch it here:
http://webmup.com/IatJ2

I don't think I've ever seen another scene in any movie that demonstrates inertia & frames of reference in space so impressively... outside of some of the scenes from "Gravity," I suppose, but I liked Interstellar a lot more as a movie than I did Gravity
>>
Edmond Halley - Sun, 18 Jan 2015 17:26:01 EST RwDntOyj No.54913 Reply
My girlfriend and I had been looking forward to seeing this movie for nearly a month and we had to turn it off after the first five minutes because we couldn't stand how bad it is. The acting and the lines are so awful it hurts to watch the first scene.

I felt like I was watching a movie that would be played in the background at walk mart. What a fucking disappointment
>>
Ejnar Hertzprung - Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:29:01 EST KCC23SOp No.54924 Reply
>>54913
Your opinion on a movie you didn't watch is DEFFINITLY worth bumping a thread that's been dead for weeks. Nebula Burst
>>
Gerard Kuiper - Sun, 25 Jan 2015 17:29:42 EST RwDntOyj No.54943 Reply
>>54924

The first five minutes of the movie was the most washed out, cliche, Hollywood bullshit I've seen in the last year. It almost caused physical pain to watch it, why would I continue? Wouldn't I remove my hand from a hot metal coil?

If I want to see beautiful space scenes I can watch footage from the ISS, or look at pictures from satellites, or even watch space documentaries, that movie was pandering to the largest audience possible and it was painfully obvious. It is their job to make as much money as possible, right? So I guess I can't be upset.

As far as bumping this thread, I've seen this thread on here for WEEKS on the front page and have been meaning to see the movie before bothering to post in this thread. Holy SHIT I moved this thread up three spaces, WOW!
>>
Antony Hewish - Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:06:44 EST 9Ax5jsvA No.54948 Reply
>>54943

you seem like a dick. i never want to meet you, and i bet you make the people you surround yourself with very uncomfortable.

nb.
>>
Subramanyan Chandrasekhar - Tue, 27 Jan 2015 23:28:23 EST At6hQces No.54953 Reply
1422419303134.jpg -(99350B / 97.02KB, 282x282) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
hay lets land on that water world, we could clearly see and work out from space it has only water on it and massive waves form but alright alright we need some surfing.
Don't forget that 2001 movie we need a black hole just opening up say next to Saturn (make it original!) and those monolith's, I mean the black hole has some weird interdimensional reference to a greater intelligence.. yay go team Hollywood (you fucking teenage train wreak you)
>>
Nicolaus Copernicus - Wed, 28 Jan 2015 13:23:58 EST 6BB3s9Mz No.54954 Reply
mumbling interrupted with VERY LOUD SOUNDS and this fucking music that makes driving through a corn field or walking knee deep in water look like saving the world.
I have no idea what this movie was about
>>
Maximilian Wolf - Sat, 31 Jan 2015 21:01:58 EST RwDntOyj No.54976 Reply
>>54948

If you met me in real life I doubt you would think I was a dick. I'm an introvert, and I think my sanity is fading, but I do have a house with my girlfriend and we have lots of friends and seven lovely animals.

Interstellar just seemed to be a shitty movie that was produced for people with minds equivalent to a convenience store toilet stall. If you want to see beautiful space scenery there are better videos to watch. I understand that their goal is to make money so it's understandable that I shouldn't have had such high hopes for it. I guess I was just really disappointed.
>>
Heinrich Olbers - Mon, 02 Feb 2015 00:19:06 EST XugeZ6EU No.54979 Reply
1422854346331.jpg -(190879B / 186.41KB, 919x611) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>Pro-tip
>It's called science-Fiction
I liked it. I guess this is just like my opinion though. Is it realistic? No but that doesn't make it a bad movie. Guess I wouldn't mind here what some of the haters have to say way a good movie So I can rip on those movies jk
>>
Joseph-Louis Lagrange - Tue, 03 Feb 2015 21:39:51 EST XJHlYsmW No.54987 Reply
>>54979

The visuals were pretty realistic. That black hole...
>>
Darkfil - Sat, 14 Feb 2015 09:18:25 EST L0O9t75I No.55032 Reply
>>54979
I loved it, sure it wasn't realistic but it was fucking brilliant.
>>
Otto Struve - Mon, 02 Mar 2015 22:20:49 EST xeSc49U9 No.55087 Reply
Watch 2001: A Space Odyssey instead. It's the same story but way better. nb
>>
Jacob Kapteyn - Thu, 09 Apr 2015 20:35:44 EST 2RbU6uyH No.55221 Reply
1428626144038.jpg -(442015B / 431.66KB, 700x750) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
BLACK HOLES DON'T EXIST

THEY ARE JUST MATHEMATICAL CONSTRUCTS

SUCK MY DICK
>>
Karl von Weizsacker - Fri, 10 Apr 2015 02:53:47 EST 9+dq42/f No.55223 Reply
>>55087
They didn't send them to save da world either. It was Monolith on moon and one by jupiter, go see it nerd. We wont send any one to find your corpse for 10 years.
>>
Roger Penrose - Sun, 12 Apr 2015 01:06:25 EST jOF47H5F No.55224 Reply
If y'all want to see a badass movie with monoliths and jupiter, go watch Event Horizon. That shit is bananas.
>>
Carl Seyfert - Thu, 16 Apr 2015 01:05:39 EST /cIINg/k No.55242 Reply
>>54647

the wormhole exterior was a nice visualisation.

the rest of the movie was just idiotic. nothing in the plot made sense, and about halfway into it, I realised that the pacing was making me bored.

It's literally a movie where you go from start to finish wondering when it's going to get to "the good part", which never comes.
>>
Johann Bode - Mon, 18 May 2015 03:22:49 EST 01PYVXYN No.55324 Reply
Ok ok ok. I'd just like to throw my 2 cents in before people read this thread and decide to make it their opinion.
Interstellar was a great fucking movie. It was the most physically accurate sci-fi to date, and the physicist they hired to do the math for the black hole simulation actually FURTHERED the known mathematics and physics of black holes. No one had ever calculated what a black hole would look like before. I mean yeah it's sad that it took Hollywood to pay Thorne to do it, but it was done because of this movie for the sole purpose of making it accurate and informing people the right way, which most sci-fi takes in the complete opposite direction.
Go back to watching Guardians of the Galaxy, and stop trying to fathom appreciating this gem.
>>
Wilhelm Beer - Thu, 21 May 2015 18:19:00 EST iHEpfDZJ No.55341 Reply
>>55324
>It was the most physically accurate sci-fi to date

You don't know shit about sci-fi
>>
Cecelia Payne-Gaposchkin - Fri, 22 May 2015 04:56:20 EST 3dhJAQX4 No.55348 Reply
>>55324
He performed an impossible docking maneuver, flew right into a black hole and didn't just live but ended up in an extra-dimensional library, saved the human race, and lived. But a pretty model of a black hole, yeah. I liked the movie but don't get me wrong, it's the tone that set it apart from guardians of the galaxy - not the realism. If anything interstellar would make the topics explored in the film less clear to the average viewer.
>>
Bombastus !!HToBa9dh - Sun, 24 May 2015 19:36:26 EST zBF7dcMT No.55363 Reply
I couldn't finish it. I just couldn't.
It was so. god. damn. eye. wateringly. gut. wrenchingly. boring.

Didn't see that coming.
>>
Roger Penrose - Sun, 24 May 2015 20:16:07 EST RwDntOyj No.55365 Reply
I'm glad this thread is still here. Of course this board is so slow, how could it not be? I was just stopping by for a third time to say that holy shit this movie fucking sucks. Holy fucking shit.
>>
Paul Goldsmith - Fri, 05 Jun 2015 03:55:37 EST A1E2ozZS No.55383 Reply
What the fuck is your problem /SAGAN/? You want a 150 million dollar movie made solely for people who understand everything in astrophysicism? It's a freaking hollywood science fiction movie made for broad audience, what do you expect? Of course it could've been better, but you make it seem like it's fucking Armageddon 2: Superluminal Fireball of Death.
>>
Paul Goldsmith - Fri, 05 Jun 2015 03:59:37 EST A1E2ozZS No.55384 Reply
1433491177027.jpg -(40351B / 39.41KB, 500x375) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
And by astrophysicism, I meant astrophyisics, apperantly astrophysicism isn't a word. Huehuehue
>>
Joseph Taylor Jr. - Sat, 06 Jun 2015 22:19:14 EST 9Jg5Dok5 No.55388 Reply
>>55383
But it was marketed as "realistic" sci fi and people actually give it high notes on that merit alone

opinion:discarded
>>
Edmond Halley - Wed, 27 Jul 2016 04:39:06 EST pjhpxsvC No.56294 Reply
>>54848
>I guess I'm just not a big fan of Nolan himself. I couldn't sit through Inception even though I tried to watch it at least 3 times. These kind of movies rely too much on short, loud, shocking, and emotional scenes to keep the audience captivated and I can't stand that shit.

Wait what? Did we see the same Inception? Inception didn't have any emotional scenes. It only had scenes where people were being emotional.

The whole film was a dry emotionless philosophical stroll through a virtual reality hidden in a virtual reality hidden in a virtual reality hidden in a virtual reality...

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.