Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)
Quantum Entanglement in astronomy Ignore Report Reply
Alan Guth - Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:28:16 EST ID:415JX8nG No.54724
File: 1416688096228.jpg -(70550B / 68.90KB, 439x310) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 70550
I recently read an article where some experimenters were able to entangle light with particles bound by the strong interaction, thereby creating a "ghost" strong force within the group of photons, which don't have color. I believe the researchers alluded that it was like a crystal made of light or something.

I don't really understand the process which by entanglement works, but I was wondering if this could have implications for neutrino astronomy?
Could neutrinos traveling through the detector be entangled with photons or the particles of some electrically charged medium in order to create measurable events and create an image?

Imige is the Super-Kamiokande neutrino telescope
>>
Ejnar Hertzprung - Sun, 23 Nov 2014 14:45:41 EST ID:ksAXy5yQ No.54725 Ignore Report Reply
>>54724
If we can entangle particles over vast distances without the need for a laser's confirmation, we will be able to stream data back from a distant space probe instantly, which could save a mission that would otherwise be doomed by lag.

It's like 2 cups connected by a string that doesn't exist. Talk into one end and hear it on the other, no strings attached.

That's the only astronomy application I can think of for quantum entanglement, other than creating better lasers and sensors for our instruments and faster processors for our probes.

Photonic crystals, however, and not exactly entangled, it's just light confined within a crystal similar to diamond. But this has useful applications for the upcoming field of photonic computing.
>>
Joseph Lockyer - Sun, 23 Nov 2014 14:55:32 EST ID:/lAAexxR No.54727 Ignore Report Reply
>>54725
You can't transfer information via entanglement.

>>54724
I think to entangle neutrinos, you'd have to interact with them, which is no easier than detecting them in the first place.
>>
Ejnar Hertzprung - Sun, 23 Nov 2014 15:00:19 EST ID:ksAXy5yQ No.54728 Ignore Report Reply
>>54727
>You can't transfer information via entanglement.
Not without laser confirmation, no. I already said that.
>>
Joseph Lockyer - Sun, 23 Nov 2014 15:15:17 EST ID:/lAAexxR No.54729 Ignore Report Reply
>>54728
What's this laser confirmation you're talking about? I'm not familiar with the terminology, though I can see how it's one possible way of providing a basis for comparison. Though, if you're gonna run a laser, just communicate via it in the first place.
>>
Walter Adams - Mon, 24 Nov 2014 03:23:42 EST ID:ksAXy5yQ No.54732 Ignore Report Reply
>>54729
The quantum uncertainty principle makes it impossible to measure both state and momentum simultaneously because bouncing a photon off a particle changes it's state or momentum (not sure which). The laser eliminates the need for 1 of those measurements.

The reason we don't use lasers is because they're limited to light speed. And radio waves, which travel at light speed, are already used to transmit information back to Earth. I believe a signal to mars takes 3 minutes, 6 for a round trip, not really useful for real-time controls. That's why Curiosity is mostly autonomous.
>>
Walter Adams - Mon, 24 Nov 2014 03:25:57 EST ID:ksAXy5yQ No.54733 Ignore Report Reply
>>54732
>quantum uncertainty
Actually I'm wrong, it's this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect_(physics)

Wikipedia has a good example of why.
>A standard mercury-in-glass thermometer must absorb or give up some thermal energy to record a temperature, and therefore changes the temperature of the body which it is measuring.
>>
Joseph von Fraunhofer - Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:04:40 EST ID:GHJG01Xm No.54734 Ignore Report Reply
>>54732
>>54733
It sounds like you're talking about quantum teleportation and/or remote state preparation. Problem is, neither allows you to communicate classical bits faster than the speed of light.
>>
Ejnar Hertzprung - Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:42:15 EST ID:Im3GVW// No.54738 Ignore Report Reply
>>54724
The problem with neutrino detectors in that the probability of interaction with matter is very low, so you don't detect many of them. Entangling them with photons wouldn't improve that. Entangling them also wouldn't give you any more information, I don't think you could actually entangle them without changing the neutrino destroying the information you want. We can already makes images with neutrinos it just takes a very long time due to low count rates.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.