Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)
Panspermia Ignore Report Reply
Walter Adams - Mon, 29 Dec 2014 16:10:02 EST ID:h1NupmlQ No.54865
File: 1419887402811.gif -(1021711B / 997.76KB, 400x225) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 1021711
Oh shit. I just realized that panspermia is plausible. For those here who dont know, Panspermia basically explains that the building blocks for life, or even micro-organisms came originally from some extra-terrestrials source [read: Not "aliens" per se].

The way I came to this self realization is by reading about the Voyager & Pioneer crafts, and this page from What If:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/117/

So according to this author, whom I would say is slightly reliable if not on the optimistic side, there are a number of microorganisms that remain viable upon spacecraft after launch. Even though most craft are decontaminated, there are still some number of organisms left. Now, a number of craft have failed in their missions and impacted planets. Another number of craft have willingly set down upon planets.

Do you think it is possible that there could be cross contamination from earth based organisms on any local celestial bodies, and more, do you believe that if microorganisms contaminated Mars, or Titan, etc. that they could remain viable, or even multiply?
>>
Giovanni Cassini - Wed, 31 Dec 2014 20:56:46 EST ID:ksAXy5yQ No.54878 Ignore Report Reply
>>54865
Just because panspermia is plausible, doesn't mean it happened. I'm not assuming that you meant that but I'm just throwing that out there just in case. Also, if panspermia was the only way that life is formed, we fall into sort of a "turtles all the way down" or "chicken or the egg" infinite-loop kind of paradox.

Regardless, it would be unlikely that a spacecraft would be contaminated by an extremophile hardy enough to survive in those conditions, not saying that one doesn't exist here on Earth. But they are typically found in very extreme locations such as the bottom of the sea floor, deep underground, or in Antarctica.
>>
James Elliott - Thu, 01 Jan 2015 23:18:56 EST ID:XwQwdExC No.54885 Ignore Report Reply
1420172336080.jpg -(168259B / 164.32KB, 1068x614) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
The 11th episode of the new Cosmos TV series shows a very plausible explanation for the origin of life being Panspermia; I suggest you watch that episode if you are interested in the subject. I made a thread on /sagan/ about this exact same topic early last year, see this post here:
>>53790

I just find it incredibly interesting how we are finding amino acids and other biological building blocks just floating around in space...
>>
Robert Wilson - Fri, 02 Jan 2015 03:09:47 EST ID:H3af7FdZ No.54886 Ignore Report Reply
1420186187995.jpg -(43279B / 42.26KB, 400x302) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
name for this hypothesis contains a word of sexual nature and its meaning can have vulgar, or even sexist overtones to sensitive people
>>
Annie Cannon - Sat, 03 Jan 2015 00:21:26 EST ID:415JX8nG No.54889 Ignore Report Reply
I think a reasonable to suggest that if panspermia is correct, most habitable places in this solar system should be inhabited.
I think Martian caves, Europas oceans or slush, and I was thinking maybe even volcanoes on titan, there may be liquid water with interesting chemistry going on.

Also, Curiosity detected organic carbon when it burned some soil containing water ice in a sample retrieved a few inches underground. Nothing definitive, but an interesting signal none the less.

Of course not finding life wouldn't necessarily be proof that panspermia didn't happen, but it would imply that life needs more particular conditions to survive.

We are always finding life that pushes the boundaries of what we thought was possible, if life can in fact exist elsewhere in our solar system, it will.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.