Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

How does it make you feel?

- Sun, 15 Feb 2015 04:36:13 EST 9T8PqMeL No.55035
File: 1423992973167.png -(289416B / 282.63KB, 405x455) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. How does it make you feel?
So as far as I know, there are two theories on the ultimate fate of the Universe.

One is that the Universe will experience heat death and that chemical reactions and everything reliant upon them will cease to be.

The other is that the universe will tear itself a new one, collapse in on itself and reset.

Either way, humanity, every other sapient species in the universe and everything we've ever known and accomplished will amount to nothing.

On a scale from "Stubbed your toe" to "Visigoths sacking Rome", how does that make you feel?

For me, I'd say that it triggers a "Read Ecclesiastes and contemplated petty arson" kind of feeling.
>>
Wilhelm Beer - Sun, 15 Feb 2015 11:46:15 EST 74Y2ClkV No.55036 Reply
Doesn't make me feel any different. It's not the ending that counts, but the process. There are so many analogies for this. The reason self-made billionaires go for another billion, the reason racing drivers / extreme sports people do what they do or even the reason why people play video games. It's not about reaching somewhere just so you can lock yourself out in a comfy room and play it safe for the future reference, but about the fun and the joy and the misery and pain and falling off and getting back up, going from 0 to a 100 back to to 0 and to a 100 that comes with living your life in a all-around rewardable way.
It would be silly to be miserable and withdrawn for your whole life just because you've come to a realization that you're gonna die one day. The Universe is not a 2 hour 3D movie that needs a happy ending. By the time the ending happens, every desired situation for living beings will be played out either way.

Why worry about the potential outcome of the future (that has no existence other than the overthinking reasoning that's in your head) if you could enjoy that which is Now?
>>
Margaret Burbidge - Sun, 15 Feb 2015 13:46:36 EST 7JKp4SWk No.55037 Reply
>>55035
so, that means I don't have to pay back my students loans because the universe will stop existing if I wait long enough?
>>
Heinrich Olbers - Mon, 16 Feb 2015 01:17:02 EST 6BB3s9Mz No.55040 Reply
>>55037
you dont have to wait as long if you kill yourself right now
time flies when youre dead
>>
Jocelyn Bell - Mon, 16 Feb 2015 21:01:45 EST 415JX8nG No.55042 Reply
I think it's pretty impossible to tell how the future will play out, especially with us as part of the universe.
Isaac Newton figured out how we can go to space, a few hundred years later we did. Einstein figured out how to travel in time, maybe someday we will.
I think quantum technology will play a very interesting role in the future as it matures and can be applied to the other natural sciences.
What would a deep understanding and manipulation of quantum effects have in chemistry, biology, and even astronomy? I can't even imagine what the future is going to be like because the universes story will continue with us
>>
Charles Bolton - Tue, 17 Feb 2015 00:33:08 EST aZWz79e5 No.55043 Reply
CommentIn the very far future we will have transcended this moral coil and ascended to beings of unimaginable power. We will build a tellurian axon-cross that will stabilize any fluctuations in the cosmic fabric, ergo preventing any cataclysmic fate from ever taking place. This three dimensional cross will work by extending eternal beams of infinite radiance in all six directions of its end points, thus thwarting either the collapse or the never-ending laceration of the universe forever.
>>
Nicolaus Copernicus - Tue, 17 Feb 2015 22:05:28 EST Pp6NUtpA No.55046 Reply
1424228728718.gif -(498582B / 486.90KB, 400x430) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
That's actually not true, it was recently (theoretically) proven that space and time are infinite.
>>
Allan Sandage - Mon, 02 Mar 2015 01:32:19 EST 9+dq42/f No.55084 Reply
>>55035
makes me feel like there must be a way to set your self out side the cycle and experience multiple universes with an immortal life.
>>
Charles Bolton - Tue, 03 Mar 2015 01:21:35 EST a5zMFg9h No.55091 Reply
>>55046
You don't prove anything in science. We make models, and when those models work really well, we call them laws. Science is all about making falsifiable claims; if you can't prove it wrong, it ain't science.

Proof, as a concept, is something for math. If you write a correct mathematical proof of a theorem, the theorem is a fact. You have produced a perfect truth in terms of the axioms and rules of transformation you've employed.

There are lots of mathematically-correct theories, however, they don't always agree with experiment. That's why we have experimental and theoretical physics; it's a little tricky to winnow out falsehood from non-falsehood when you have one without the other.
>>
Johann Bode - Wed, 04 Mar 2015 08:03:13 EST G3fVGNNq No.55095 Reply
>>55046
Time will still continue after heat death, there will just be nothing to experience it. Also infinite means infinite past as well but lets not open that can of worms.
>>
William de Sitter - Wed, 04 Mar 2015 14:36:19 EST ksAXy5yQ No.55096 Reply
>>55095
Time cannot exist without space.
Space only exists between 2 objects (particles).

When the universe is so spread out that each particle is within it's own hubble volume and completely unable to interact with each other, time stops. Not to mention the hubble volumes that will likely be empty of any particles but those are immeasurable because there is no spacetime in that local universe and they do not even exist any more.
>>
Cecelia Payne-Gaposchkin - Thu, 05 Mar 2015 02:11:14 EST 7UdqYDqD No.55099 Reply
>Either way, humanity, every other sapient species in the universe and everything we've ever known and accomplished will amount to nothing.

lol silly humans always looking for meaning everywhere, what else do you need?
You're in existence in this moment, yet don't know how you got here.
You're alive at this moment, yet don't understand how life can exist.
You're conscious right now, yet don't understand consciousness.
Everything that makes reality real for you is happening right now, yet you don't know how all this came to be - and all you can worry about is weather you'll make a mark on history?

LIVE your life bro, I'm no guru but I'm pretty sure thats the point of it all.
To experience.
>>
Giovanni Cassini - Thu, 05 Mar 2015 16:44:44 EST O84lqxmV No.55102 Reply
>>55099
>but I'm pretty sure thats the point of it all. To experience.

[citation needed]
>>
Fred Whipple - Fri, 06 Mar 2015 03:33:54 EST ksAXy5yQ No.55103 Reply
>>55098
Yes.

Take an example of a brick.
The brick has length, width, height, and one we ignore called duration.
We usually can't measure duration ahead of time because it measures exactly how long the brick will stay in it's current form before, let's say, a karate master breaks it in half.
Duration (time) is a measurement of change.

It's also the 4th dimension of measurement.
>>
Chushiro Hayashi - Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:55:46 EST gRBEStbH No.55107 Reply
>>55102
"Anything worth knowing can't be taught. It must be experienced."
Carl Whitaker
>>
Allan Sandage - Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:36:34 EST Wzs50sSC No.55109 Reply
> Either way, humanity, every other sapient species in the universe and everything we've ever known and accomplished will amount to nothing.

I'll be dead long before that happens, so I honestly don't care. I just want to live my life to the fullest, do chill science stuff, and hopefully try to help others when I am able to.
>>
Karl Jansky - Fri, 06 Mar 2015 19:02:10 EST FVrU3tol No.55111 Reply
>>55107
Throwing that weak mess around here is kind of insulting
>>
Edwin Hubble - Fri, 20 Mar 2015 11:22:01 EST IGgsfW+0 No.55150 Reply
>>55035

Personally, I already felt like whatever humans did would amount to nothing in the grand scheme of things anyway. I have absolutely no faith that Humanity won't completely blow each other up in the future and eventually when Earth dies entirely nothing we didw would matter anyway. I don't believe we'll ever colonize another planet or anything, I think we're too stupid as a species for anything that cool.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.