Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

the sun has fallen down

- Tue, 16 Jun 2015 22:13:13 EST fhuRENSe No.55412
File: 1434507193485.png -(22297B / 21.77KB, 411x411) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. the sun has fallen down
what would happen to the earth and the rest of the pack in the system if suddenly the sun dissapeared? how quickly would the planet freeze?
>>
Arthur Eddington - Wed, 17 Jun 2015 02:52:00 EST lHGvTKQL No.55413 Reply
>how quickly would the planet freeze?
I can answer half of this question, the other half requires advanced knowledge in thermodynamics.

Your partial answer is that it takes 8 minutes for the sun's energy to reach Earth so the freezing process would start 8 minutes after it disappears.

I have no idea how long the atmosphere could retain enough heat to keep the average temperature above the freezing point of water and I cannot be fucked to try to answer that part.
>>
Cecelia Payne-Gaposchkin - Wed, 17 Jun 2015 10:52:27 EST 415JX8nG No.55415 Reply
I bet in a day the all the land masses would be frozen. In a week the atmosphere would be freezing onto the planet. And in a month the oceans would be frozen down to a few km.

I read that even if the sun disappeared, life could survive around the bottom of the ocean around hydrothermal vents for a few million years, maybe a few hundred million. I feel like closing those systems off would cause a build up of toxins, but they might be more self sustainable than I think.
>>
Nicolaus Copernicus - Wed, 17 Jun 2015 16:47:34 EST k2JuY3q4 No.55416 Reply
wow, thanks a lot for the answers. it's more than I need.
now, what would be your measure of choice in order to keep the planet warm? the popsci article talks about geothermal energy and relocating near active volcanoes.
of course the rest of the ecosystem would collapse, but humans will surely try to stretch their chances.
>>
Jan Hendrik Oort - Wed, 17 Jun 2015 17:21:19 EST YHjXylC8 No.55417 Reply
1434576079011.jpg -(23321B / 22.77KB, 500x331) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
This is a volcanic vent in Antarctica. The area around it is not habitable. The planet will become colder than that.

Geothermal and nuclear plants are the only methods of any scale that could be run for years if there was a catastrophe.
If there were enough proximity, farms could be set up in underground salt mines to last a few years.
Ultimately, nuclear and geothermal are the only power sources that aren't derived from our sun.
>>
Thomas Gold - Wed, 15 Jul 2015 23:13:49 EST 415JX8nG No.55517 Reply
>>55416
If my imagination is allowed to run wild, I would put the earth in orbit around Jupiter, close enough to cause a decent amount of geologic activity and keep some sort of an atmosphere, even if it's toxic and much less dense than ours is today.

The center piece of civilization would probably be fusion/fission nuclear reactors, we could mine hydrogen from Jupiter. But we would need manufacturing hubs, mines, and genetically modified plants in vertical farms. I think it might be best to put residential areas around hydrothermal vents. But the other stuff will probably need to be above ground

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.