Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)
Venus and Jupiter June 2015 Ignore Report Reply
Rudolph Minkowski - Sun, 21 Jun 2015 23:01:02 EST ID:Mx4j4tsI No.55436
File: 1434942062578.jpg -(34158B / 33.36KB, 560x475) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 34158
The best view in northern hemisphere for June, and not ONE thread about it?
Where are all my Venus and Jupiter observers at?
>>
Johannes Kepler - Mon, 22 Jun 2015 22:07:19 EST ID:Mx4j4tsI No.55438 Ignore Report Reply
>>55436
still nothing?
This board is dead AF
>>
Henry Draper - Mon, 22 Jun 2015 22:19:54 EST ID:301QhKfM No.55439 Ignore Report Reply
1435025994911.jpg -(16270B / 15.89KB, 300x279) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55436
I saw these guys glowing through some thin clouds on my way home this evening. brightened an otherwise sore and irritable evening. thanks for making this thread, if I hadn't known what those two weird stars were I wouldn't have noticed them.
SLAYER, pussycat, SLAYER
>>
Clyde Tombaugh - Tue, 23 Jun 2015 20:51:12 EST ID:bUDxtdHU No.55443 Ignore Report Reply
This board wasn't dead when I first started coming here. I used to post here all the time, man. I love looking at the sky and these dudes always just chillin' right there like yo dawg come get high with us we high as fuck up in this sky jus chillin like some sky nigga, yo. I'm gonna get a telescope in a while so I can gaze properly
>>
Irwin Shapiro - Wed, 24 Jun 2015 03:40:55 EST ID:uZ8bMtqg No.55444 Ignore Report Reply
1435131655201.jpg -(174972B / 170.87KB, 1024x768) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Can you help me see them with my bear eyes? I do not have any kind of telescope or binoculars, but I would love to look up at the sky and know for certain which point of light is one of our neighbors. :)
>>
Jan Hendrik Oort - Wed, 24 Jun 2015 08:48:49 EST ID:VQIR7/6h No.55447 Ignore Report Reply
Checked em out the other night, I could see one of Jupiter's moons too. My hands can't hold my binoculars steady at all though and I'm too close to a city for a telescope to be worthwhile.

This board used to be awesome, don't know why it died.
>>
Henrietta Levitt - Thu, 25 Jun 2015 07:41:05 EST ID:KlwZpL5U No.55448 Ignore Report Reply
1435232465568.jpg -(583344B / 569.67KB, 1440x900) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I think this board slowed a bit due in part to some of the following thread subject lines and selected comments:

>What if the Big Bang didn't really happen? I know there's a lot of fanciful math that is really eloquent and beautiful regarding the subject, but

>The universe being an illusion would prove my theory and my above stated points.

>Here's my theory in a nutshell. The universe is a high-dimensional object constantly rotating within itself.

>What if real space is whats outside this reality? Oh God this is driving me nuts

Basically, all are oozing with pseudoscience and "higher dimensions, reality, glitch, whoa, new theory."
We need some hard science up in this bitch, i'm talkin' rocket ogive configurations, hard vs. soft X-rays, exoplanetology, M-Theory.

We need less of the 'guys i discovered a new theory of everything the world is really flat and black holes are white holes etc.'
>>
Johann Encke - Thu, 25 Jun 2015 09:48:42 EST ID:YHjXylC8 No.55449 Ignore Report Reply
1435240122421.png -(279420B / 272.87KB, 684x919) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55448
Don't forget "Atoms are universes", "aliens are all around us, you just need DMT to see them", and just about anyone who learned QM from pop-sci novels, Michio Kaku, or topical articles on the internet and then tried to use that as a basis of a new hypothesis (with the aid of /psy/ and /dis/).

There would be more fruitful discussion if users posting that kind of thing included testable aspects, predictions, some formerly unexplained phenomena, etc in their theories, starting with the purpose of their new model, rather than the model itself.
>>
Giovanni Cassini - Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:26:53 EST ID:jOF47H5F No.55450 Ignore Report Reply
>>55448
But these are exactly the kinds of things that great scientists like Kepler and Einstein pondered. So y'all can stop being so stuffy and oppressive. If you have your own beliefs, then share it.
>>
Paul Goldsmith - Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:35:24 EST ID:p6mddkso No.55451 Ignore Report Reply
>>55450

I think a lot of this weird pseudoscience babble is a result of the fact that we've kind of hit a "wall" as far understandable science goes. Everything we know and will discover past our current knowledge is weird as fuck and abstract to the point that even Hawking comments on how hard it is to wrap his mind around how reality really works.

So honestly, the weird ass stoner theories we see are probably tame in comparison to what is actually going on out there beyond the fringes of our understanding.
>>
Annie Cannon - Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:15:18 EST ID:YHjXylC8 No.55452 Ignore Report Reply
1435284918249.png -(146390B / 142.96KB, 704x774) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55450
Kepler and Einstein didn't take a bunch of DMT and then make up a model and check if reality conformed to it.
Well, Kepler did and that's why he initially discarded the true equation governing planetary motion to try to make the measurements conform to pic related and set back his own discoveries many years.
>>
Giovanni Cassini - Fri, 26 Jun 2015 00:29:44 EST ID:jOF47H5F No.55453 Ignore Report Reply
>>55452
Well the truth was buried in all this nonsense, yes, That's the point, and to a lot of people it was even indistinguishable from nonsense. Mankind's greatest discoveries seemed controversial at times, even to the supposed authorities on the matter, but they simply lacked the vision that it took to make the connection.

Kepler's notion of the planets circling around on geometric shapes was no more bizarre than the prevailing mathematical understanding of the universe, which said that "all celestial bodies move in perfect circles above the Earth because they're encased in crystal spheres". At least Kepler's Mysterium placed the Earth as a planet circling around the sun which, combined with his discovery of elliptical orbits, made it closer to the truth than anything else at the time. People didn't even know what Kepler had given them until Newton put it to a greater use long after his death. Even Galileo and Descartes ignored him, and Kepler's own teacher rejected his ideas. It goes to show you that even the most well accepted line of thinking can be fundamentally flawed, and new ideas that might give a shimmering glimpse of the truth get laughed away on account of not following the status quo. People take the mathematical discoveries for granted, but they tend to forget that it was Kepler's imagination that allowed him to formulate the theory.
>>
Charles Messier - Fri, 26 Jun 2015 07:37:36 EST ID:KlwZpL5U No.55455 Ignore Report Reply
1435318656497.jpg -(173211B / 169.15KB, 584x800) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55450
No, they didnt ponder 'the universe is an illusion' etc. Kepler pioneered researching planetary motion, while Einstein probed the effects of mass-energy duality and its implications in physics.

Just for shits, here is a list of unsolved problems in physics, many of which are stranger than fiction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_physics

-Cosmic Inflation: What the fuck drives the expansion of the universe, and why is everything flying away from us? Is it just an observers bias that has been unnoted?

-Shape of the Universe: Is the universe a 3-manifold co-moving space? Curvature and topology is unknown, but curvature could be close to 0 at large observational scales (see: flat)

-Accretion Jets: Why do accretion discs around high mass black holes / Active galactic nuclei shoot jets of material along their polar axis at relativistic speeds?

These are just some. The universe is stranger than DMT induced alien visions of the big bang never happening.
>>
Annie Cannon - Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:54:58 EST ID:YHjXylC8 No.55456 Ignore Report Reply
1435352098249.png -(167059B / 163.14KB, 684x864) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55453
>People take the mathematical discoveries for granted, but they tend to forget that it was Kepler's imagination that allowed him to formulate the theory.
But without the new model actually fitting the available data, the theory is as useful as the polemic model.

When Greek philosophers said "lol if we divide something enough, surely we'd get to a point where we couldn't divide it anymore", it was as constructive as "lol if I shot an arrow at you, to reach you, it would have to go half way to you, and to do that, it would have to go half way of that, therefore it could never reach you".

"what if the universe is a high-dimensional object constantly rotating within itself" doesn't make any testable predictions, explain any data, etc.
>>
Viktor Ambartsumian - Fri, 26 Jun 2015 23:50:37 EST ID:jOF47H5F No.55459 Ignore Report Reply
>>55456
>But without the new model actually fitting the available data, the theory is as useful as the polemic model.

It was Kepler's vision of God communicating with mankind on a cosmic level, via recognizable geometric shapes, that incessantly drove him towards the pursuit of knowledge. He struggled through war and personal strife to get the data, not because he wanted to prove elliptical orbits (that part was incidental), but because he wanted to prove that his starry-eyed dream of a physical connection to the spiritual realm was true.

>When Greek philosophers said "lol if we divide something enough, surely we'd get to a point where we couldn't divide it anymore",

It was their way of estimating the area within complex shapes and it worked well enough for that purpose, unlike anything before. It worked so well, the Chinese reinvented it hundreds of years after the Greeks did.

People really screwed up when they made the assumption that the ancient Greeks knew all the answers, and any questions about the metaphysical weren't to be tolerated if they didn't conform to the religious teachings of the time. (seeing a pattern yet)

>"what if the universe is a high-dimensional object constantly rotating within itself" doesn't make any testable predictions, explain any data, etc.

But it might make people take the same data that's in front of all of us and see it in a new light. And as history has repeatedly shown, they might even stumble upon a world-shattering discovery in the process, which happens to hold true in reality.
>>
Kiyotsugu Hirayama - Sun, 28 Jun 2015 14:57:09 EST ID:L3OB90Tk No.55464 Ignore Report Reply
>>55455
>-Cosmic Inflation: What the fuck drives the expansion of the universe, and why is everything flying away from us? Is it just an observers bias that has been unnoted?

You're confusing a few things there. Inflation is not the expansion of the universe, it was a very rapid stage of expansion in the very early universe which ended shortly after. What drives the expansion of the universe is like momentum, it was expanding so continues to now. What drives it's accelerating is a different question loosely dubbed dark energy which is really a name for any model which sets to explain it.

>>55459
>He struggled through war and personal strife to get the data

He stole his data from Tycho. It think you're getting carried away with artistic licence.
>>
Chushiro Hayashi - Sun, 28 Jun 2015 17:16:18 EST ID:jOF47H5F No.55465 Ignore Report Reply
>>55464
>He stole his data from Tycho.

In the end that's ultimately what he had to do, but you're conveniently disregarding everything he went through up until that point. Maybe you should read up about the man some time.
>>
Karl Jansky - Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:44:29 EST ID:0TqljQT/ No.55467 Ignore Report Reply
>>55465
No. He didn't have to do anything, he chose to. Just as you chose to neglect the fact his data was stolen and accuse me of ignoring history. Pot? Black?
Personal difficulty does not change the facts, Kepler was brilliant but the data was stolen.

And no the sentence "the universe is a high-dimensional object constantly rotating within itself" isn't going to cause anyone to stumble onto some new cosmology, it's so vague it doesn't many anything, it's technobabble.
>>
Tadashi Nakajima - Thu, 06 Apr 2017 14:34:06 EST ID:S0k+HZwt No.56907 Ignore Report Reply
>>55467

Yes, some things you morally HAVE to do(would you watch your significant other (or self) be tortured over and over again, while unbound and free with a cell phone? No you'd be compelled to do something different, or your guilty of doing nothing when a huge injustice is being done(injustice is an open ended term I know) and you can do something about it... Or guilty of being a sadist/masochist.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.