Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)
orbiter 2010 Ignore Report Reply
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Thu, 20 Aug 2015 05:01:27 EST ID:yA35CPLh No.55604
File: 1440061287082.png -(741213B / 723.84KB, 870x636) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 741213
Inb4 telling me to post this on /vg/. It's a simulator not a video game. It's serious bzns and no fun is allowed. Besides I've posted it there before and no one there is cool enough to go to be interested in it.

Any one here ever try this out? I got pretty into it a while back. I've used various Delta glider models to launch from cape Canaveral, dock at the iss and then land on the moon at the fictional moon base. I've even made the trip home, but I can't re enter the atmosphere with out computer assistance. I either explode or bounce off the atmosphere every time.

I cant get my head around planning interplanetary trips. The MFD is too obtuse of a tool for me to plan that sort of trip. I wish there was kerbal maneuver node mod that let me visualize the trajectory vissualy with a 3d image rather than a 2d circle on a plane and some numbers.

I haven't tried it in a while and my gaming pc is dead, my lap top wont handle it. I recomend every one check it out as it's free.
>>
Henry Draper - Fri, 21 Aug 2015 02:11:12 EST ID:Efv8O32u No.55605 Ignore Report Reply
>>55604
Not a lot of people play that here man. We have a few people who are really into it that used to post all the time. Everyone mostly just plays KSP or Elite Dangerous if they want anything space related around here.
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Fri, 21 Aug 2015 23:22:28 EST ID:yA35CPLh No.55606 Ignore Report Reply
>>55605
You should give it a try. Once you get used to it and get used to quick loading constantly from fucking up it's quite enjoyable.
>>
James Elliott - Sat, 22 Aug 2015 00:19:04 EST ID:P+fSJ1RL No.55607 Ignore Report Reply
1440217144432.gif -(252307B / 246.39KB, 303x698) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55606
I actually did this before KSP was even anounced. Thanks to Orbiter I can space pretty well. It's great and very realistic, especially with non-spherical gravity turned on. That's just one of many realistic simulated features KSP won't ever have. And it's the reason people seem to think naturally full circular orbits exist. As we know they are all ellipses. That said, I have since moved over to KSP, may not be hard core realistic but it has enough to see you take the same steps and calculations for your trips. The main grabber is fully transversable planets, if I remember orbiter made you get mod packs that would open like 10x10km detailed surfaces on the planets to land at.

I always liked to use the weapons mods too. May not be a fan of warfare and murdering our own species but space warfare is interesting, and any thing goes in a video game. The logistics of a space fleet subject to the laws of physics is tough. Not only that but fighters are essentially useless and you can't "dog fight" in the same way you can in the air. Additionally most people don't know space fights usually happen at such distances that targets are only visible in the view screen and as such are not very action packed. But the high paced math required is intense, and finally a matter of life and death like my old teachers used to love to say.

But enough about that.

>MFW doing an ISS launch to dock in the delta glider.
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Sat, 22 Aug 2015 01:29:34 EST ID:yA35CPLh No.55608 Ignore Report Reply
>>55607
Yee boi another obitnaut!

Any tips on trans planetary trips, or mods to make it easier?

On space warfare:

Fighters may be used, but you're right they wont move like fighter jets like people see in the movies.
Projectile based weapons like guns will only be usefull at extremely close range but cause the problem of space debris. That bullet may kill an innocent man 20 years from now.

Most things are going to be missile, laser and particle weapon based. And probably some other exotic weapons.

I wasn't aware kerbal didn't have non spherical gravity.

I remember playing some modded out ship where nearly every cockpit button worked. That shit is my jam, more buttons = more fun to me. I like gritty realism. I just wish oculus rift existed back then. Does orbiter even have rift mods yet?

Since I couldnt get out of earth orbit i ended up building stupid huge space stations by docking every thing that had a port all willy nilly like. I had some mod that made you have to regulate power, heat, food, water, radiation, etc. That was alot of fun. Switching between ships and managing power busses and shit.

One gripe I also had was that you can't teather astronauts with cords. You could only use things like the robotic arms. But they had really complex controls I never bothered to learn. So I'd constantly loose astronauts by gaining to much speed in some odd direction that I couldn't compensate for and have them just drift away.

Bonus points for putting fork lifts and cars into orbit.
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Sat, 22 Aug 2015 03:22:50 EST ID:yA35CPLh No.55609 Ignore Report Reply
wow im dumb, i just figured out why oribter wont run on my lap top more than 1fps.
I was running the version that had lvl 14 textures and shit pre installed. Vanilla version runs fine. Time to tackle interplanetary travel again.
>>
James Elliott - Sat, 22 Aug 2015 17:53:39 EST ID:P+fSJ1RL No.55610 Ignore Report Reply
>>55608
Sadly I never mastered interplanetary travels. Didn't get that far in Orbiter though I can use the MFDs to sorta of plot the course, I just miss. Same goes for KSP, had to use the protractor mod and even then mid stage burns would elude me, only made it to duna about 3 times and eve once. I want to go back and try again but it's too much of a hassle to get all the mods I require to have fun with KSP.

I did enjoy making Kerbins SOI and it's moons fully habitable with a mod that lets you get space colonies going with civies to ships around.
>>
George Airy - Sat, 22 Aug 2015 19:15:38 EST ID:sky71Ye7 No.55611 Ignore Report Reply
>>55607
>>55608

Yea, real life space combat is gonna be something of its own.

Considering the lack of objects in space, I think a lot of battles is gonna be decided by who sees who first. So positioning and scanning will be very important. It won't be much action, rather something fired from far away just suddenly ripping through the hull and violently decompressing your ass. It's probably gonna be fought using autonomous drones considering this. Even with lasers you're gonna have to calculate the possible future position of the enemy if he's far enough away, so computers are a must.
>>
Vera Rubiin - Sun, 23 Aug 2015 05:20:29 EST ID:xTiGnLas No.55612 Ignore Report Reply
>>55611
So, modern naval combat in space except no crew?

cool
>>
Nicolaus Copernicus - Sun, 23 Aug 2015 19:08:24 EST ID:wl5w5KO5 No.55613 Ignore Report Reply
>>55604
Shiiit I play this all the time. And nobody seems to know it when I talk about it. Still waiting for Orbiter 2015 to come out. I also made what I would say is the best DGIV skin out there.
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Sun, 23 Aug 2015 19:40:32 EST ID:yA35CPLh No.55614 Ignore Report Reply
>>55613
There's a beta build already out. Post that skin brother man
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Sun, 23 Aug 2015 19:43:32 EST ID:yA35CPLh No.55615 Ignore Report Reply
>>55614
I cant remember the ship i used that had a mostly w Orrin 3d compo. You guys know a good one that dosent having me switching between 2d and 3d cockpits?
>>
Henry Russell - Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:14:37 EST ID:P+fSJ1RL No.55616 Ignore Report Reply
>>55612
Kind of but not really. Naal fights happen at 2d movement options where as space has 3d of movement available during engagements. Take orbit inclination into account and time your approach just right and you can approach any enemy form any direction. Almost. Timing and starting positions for intercept burns highly dictate how and when you engage targets. Not to mention you can use those 6 major directions, a combination of 360 degree lateral and vertical to your perspective, to dodge incoming fire. Though you may be fighting in large space ships you are still going super fast.

In some ways, yeah naval combat but in space, many of the principles are the same once the shells start flying or even before as both fleets race to lock targets first. There is just a little extra to consider.
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Sun, 23 Aug 2015 21:05:00 EST ID:yA35CPLh No.55617 Ignore Report Reply
>>55615
3d cockpit. My phones auto correct has been taking some creative liberties lately.
>>
Maximilian Wolf - Thu, 27 Aug 2015 16:43:59 EST ID:wl5w5KO5 No.55645 Ignore Report Reply
1440708239585.png -(1299842B / 1.24MB, 1858x802) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55614
http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=6584

I also made an RCMP skin and Hapeg-Loyd cargo transport skin for it too.

But this one I replaced the radiator with solar panels and did up the ings too, which also kinda work as a good heat sheild under it to.
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Tue, 01 Sep 2015 01:49:39 EST ID:yA35CPLh No.55649 Ignore Report Reply
>>55645
noice skin!

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.