Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Idea for launching small payloads to obrit.

!lwriJ94kMg - Fri, 25 Sep 2015 22:33:15 EST 3KDKAApy No.55685
File: 1443234795649.jpg -(16847B / 16.45KB, 320x240) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Idea for launching small payloads to obrit.
I've always wanted to build a real rocket that could go to space, but it's far outside of my peasant like budget. So I've thought of what seems like a good idea for a cheap solution to launch vehicles to space.

Use a balloon to lift a small stabilized platform that has a rocket on it. The rocket launches from there into orbit.

And when I use the word platform I don't literally mean a flat launch pad but something that sort of looks like a missile launcher...idk what the technical term for that is...turret?

You could also scale this idea up for conceivably larger loads.
One problem I can see though is when the balloon goes up it would drifts away from the launch site and possibly fuck up your launch.
>>
Jocelyn Bell - Sat, 26 Sep 2015 20:43:02 EST vlMim384 No.55687 Reply
You can't launch a rocket into orbit from a floating platform in the sky
>>
Robert Dicke - Sun, 27 Sep 2015 02:36:23 EST lHGvTKQL No.55689 Reply
>>55687
Why not, you can launch missiles from a jet, why not a balloon?

It'd be easier if the rocket was suspended by wires sideways, launched like a sidewinder missile, and then traveled in an arc upwards. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the platform.

You would be able to send really small rockets into space carrying really small satellites about the size of a toaster (those exist).

It might actually be useful.
>>
Margaret Burbidge - Sun, 27 Sep 2015 16:49:49 EST P+fSJ1RL No.55691 Reply
>>55689
Gets around the hardest part of lift off so the size of the rocket can be much smaller, but how much smaller, the platform needs to be big enough to hold the rocket stable, the balloon needs to haul both of those high enough. And you'll have to come up with a way to pointing the rocket in the right direction.

Could work, could also get you arrested depending where you live.
>>
Vesto Slipher - Sun, 27 Sep 2015 23:29:50 EST w+/+ofKC No.55694 Reply
So send rockets 5th grade nerds play with into space? Why? Because "aliens r gey"
If you did this on a nasa scale this is what would happen

>calculate n shit
>send the rocket up in the sky with a ton of balloons
>balloons drift away and fucks up your calculations n shit, mission failed
>there are so many balloons they have become like a roof of the so called platform
>when the ballons pop, the platform falls down and hits a city n people die
>>
Daniel Kirkwood - Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:02:05 EST JWqXGv6/ No.55704 Reply
>>55691
Big donut shaped balloon. Rocket shoots straight up through the hole.
>>
Kiyotsugu Hirayama - Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:40:06 EST QGQwZWLJ No.55706 Reply
The force required to launch anything into orbit is so immense, on a DIY scale it's pretty much unthinkable. Even if you launched your turret-rocket off a helium balloon at 15km above the ground, the rocket needs to accelerate diagonally-to-horizontally to an altitude of 90-100 km just to get out of the atmospheric drag to the escape velocity of 11km/s. Include the rocket's weight and you should have enough information for basic calculations of the energy involved and thrust necessary. And even at altitude of 100km the atmosphere is probably gonna pull it down rather quick. For a stable orbit you would wanna reach to an altitude of 250-350km.

Your best bet might be discovering a not very well known propulsion system, that uses electromagnetic force, since it's that much stronger than gravity and maybe the earth's magnetic field to launch something into orbit.
>>
Thomas Henderson - Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:42:53 EST YHjXylC8 No.55707 Reply
1443458573217.png -(21968B / 21.45KB, 681x554) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55704
The lifting of a balloon is a function of atmospheric density. It's very difficult to lift something very heavy, very high with a balloon.

You don't get into space by going very high, you get into space by getting just above the atmosphere, then flinging yourself around the earth so fast that you miss the planet when you fall back down. Low earth orbit is still experiencing 90% of the gravity you're experiencing now.

As such, the majority of energy in a rocket isn't going into getting up high, but going really fast once up high.
Most of our atmosphere is within 40 km of earth. Getting even that high only represents .6 km/s dV. Getting to LEO once up to 200 km or so requires ~7.5 km/s dV.
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Mon, 28 Sep 2015 14:22:24 EST 3KDKAApy No.55712 Reply
I guess you guys are right this wouldn't get you into orbit on a hobbyist budget.

But the optimal design would be a single balloon. Most high altitude balloons seem to elongate and get very thin at high alt ( im not sure why though, if you want to explain it go ahead). So you wouldn't have to worry about a "roof" being in the way.

The turret could be suspended far below the balloon on a rod or line to help minimize the launch area the balloon is in the way off.

But since this can't get to orbit it sure could be used to take some cool pics of earth. I bet it could also help by allowing you to put things way up in the sky for a good long time. Like if you wanted to run some experiment but instead of polluting the skies with more space junk you could make a rocket that will only fly over a limited path of earth then fall back down to earth after it's delta v is all used up.
>>
Christiaan Huygens - Mon, 05 Oct 2015 18:18:44 EST fYWUR8OT No.55741 Reply
You would not even be able to determine when your projectile leaves orbit due to GPS restrictions.
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Tue, 06 Oct 2015 18:25:22 EST 3KDKAApy No.55742 Reply
>>55741
Elaborate?

My method in my op is more for getting things into orbit not leaving earth orbit.
>>
John Wheeler - Wed, 07 Oct 2015 00:18:27 EST Y//WNNPR No.55743 Reply
>>55742
I believe what they are saying is: this type of flight is not really possible from a simple rocket (unless you happen to have a strong AI laying around and the ability to get it to pilot your rocket, I guess). There are a lot of measurements that have to be taken throughout the flight for numerous different reasons, NASA, et al, have the ability to shine lasers at and from their rockets, along with all sorts of other atmospheric sensors both on the vehicle and on the ground to get very precise measurements which are used during the flight to make sure the vehicle is doing exactly what it needs to be doing at each moment.

A dumb rocket, even one that can generate the speed to get into orbit, is going to have a snowballs chance in hell of actually getting into orbit because it can't make any corrections mid flight; you'd have to get super lucky and have innumerable atmospheric factors be completely optimal for your rockets design for such to work.

Remote piloting or autonomous piloting could be possible if your ship also had the sensors to collect the needed data, but that's far outside of the hobbiest realm.
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Wed, 07 Oct 2015 00:58:46 EST 3KDKAApy No.55744 Reply
>>55743
Fuck all that I'll just let it dumb fire and land where it may, weather it's on an orphanage or an embassy. I don't care.

Jokes aside I guess you're right about all that stuff though.
I guess this would be really only useful for short sub orbital flights.
You know, like for sending a go pro or small rodent way up there for pictures and science.
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Wed, 07 Oct 2015 15:52:47 EST 3KDKAApy No.55745 Reply
>>55744
After thinking about this more, if I'm only doing sub orbital flights then GPS data should still be useful and viable since it would still be below all the sats.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.