Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 10)
MOTHERFUCKING ALIEREMS! Ignore Report Reply
George Herbig - Fri, 28 Oct 2016 17:32:07 EST ID:rszf0FN0 No.56560
File: 1477690327717.gif -(97224B / 94.95KB, 400x332) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 97224
I can't believe no one has posted this yet:
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/183699/20161025/evidence-of-alien-life-2-scientists-say-strange-signals-from-stars-are-from-alien-civilization.htm

TL;DR: We looked at a bunch of stars and found 234 -- that's right, two-hundred and fucking thirty fucking four -- stars that appear to have aliens trying to contact us with optical beams.

Go nuts.
>>
Johannes Kepler - Sat, 29 Oct 2016 06:14:20 EST ID:nAYFwE81 No.56561 Ignore Report Reply
Apparently our big "human" achievement is nuclear power. So we'll probably relay the signal back by launching a half dozen nukes into orbit.
>>
Maximilian Wolf - Sat, 29 Oct 2016 10:48:33 EST ID:gmm1Ygns No.56562 Ignore Report Reply
1477752513517.png -(146139B / 142.71KB, 424x318) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>Borra and Trottier said that the signals are likely from an intelligent alien civilization manipulating the stars to send a message and make us aware that they exist.

Sounds awfully optimistic. If this reflects the team's general view of alien life then this might just be a case of people seeing something that isn't there. Let's see if this shit gets replicated by someone else, then we can go nuts with excitement.

Why would aliens do something like that to telegraph their presence anyways? Sounds awfully complicated and obscure. Maybe it's a way of communicating between themselves or something, but still that shit can be achieved with a laser. Hell maybe it's the 'artwork' of some rouge alien AI or whatever.
>>
Walter Adams - Sat, 29 Oct 2016 18:14:24 EST ID:rszf0FN0 No.56563 Ignore Report Reply
>>56562
Well yeah, everyone is waiting for the replication. Even this much is worth celebrating, this is the biggest stir in SETI since, well, pretty much ever (unless we count our recent 'alien megastructure' experiences.) It's like I can get excited when a movie is announced even if I'll be more excited when it actually comes out. Even if it turns out to be nothing, the fact that we're getting this much better at looking is big news.

And, presumably, they are using lasers to send the signals -- how else would you send a coherent optical signal over such a great distance? I don't think it's that strange, it's actually probably the simplest form of active SETI one could practice. Just create a satellite or ground based array containing thousands of laser beams, each aimed at every star within a certain radius, in the hopes someone gets the message. It would be a lot harder to do with a radio telescope, which may explain why there would be so many optical signals but we've never gotten a radio signal. Such tech would be trivial for a 1K or > civilization (which I would assume these must be.)
>>
Roger Penrose - Mon, 31 Oct 2016 05:11:06 EST ID:gmm1Ygns No.56607 Ignore Report Reply
>>56563

>And, presumably, they are using lasers to send the signals -- how else would you send a coherent optical signal over such a great distance?

If I understood it correctly, the supposed signal is not lasers but 'spectral modulation'. Whatever that means, I take it that it's the light from the stars themselves that's supposed to be the signal. The fact that over 200 stars seems to show the same phenomenon either means it's an incredibly advanced interstellar civilization, or an as of yet unknown natural effect.
>>
Cecelia Payne-Gaposchkin - Tue, 01 Nov 2016 11:19:18 EST ID:eY06FJul No.56610 Ignore Report Reply
This seems a little bit far fetched. There's plenty of astronomical/astrophysical problems still unsolved, so calling it already and saying it's aliens seems a little bit premature.
>>
George Hale - Wed, 02 Nov 2016 23:34:33 EST ID:6+AQCLDz No.56613 Ignore Report Reply
>>56610
Agreed, probably more likely it's a yet-to-be understood stellar phenomenon, I mean would aliens seriously spend the time and resources necessary to modify STARS just to send messages? There has to be more efficient methods of stellar communication than modifying an entire fucking star. Like just the amount of engineering to construct a device able to modulate a stars light output seems retardedly complex for communication
Thy being said, maybe it is aliens and the fluctuations in signals has to do with some sort of Dyson sphere like device, not ruling it out. Just saying that aliens are PROBABLY not trying to talk to us by fucking with stars' outputs
>>
Russel Hulse - Thu, 03 Nov 2016 17:34:05 EST ID:eY06FJul No.56619 Ignore Report Reply
1478208845000.gif -(509442B / 497.50KB, 400x211) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>56613
Man, I just wanna chill with some ATLiens
>>
Henrietta Levitt - Thu, 03 Nov 2016 19:37:16 EST ID:rszf0FN0 No.56621 Ignore Report Reply
>>56613
Ways to change the spectral qualities of a star:
-pass a prism in front of it
-pass a planet with a spectrally modulated atmosphere in front of it (fancy prism.)
-drop mass with a different spectrographic profile than hydrogen or helium into it
-ignite mass with the desired spectrographic profile with a probe in the photosphere
-like I said before, just send a laser beam with different spectral properties in the same direction as photons from the star are travelling
All of those things would be trivial for a 1K civilization. Does that mean it is aliens? No. But we can't rule it out just because the method seems exotic. It might be hugely practical. I mean, the only thing they can see about our system is the star too, right? If we wanted to send them a message, and knew nothing about whether they are looking for radio signals or anything, the one thing we know they can see about us is our star, so if it can be used to send a message, why not?

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.