Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Space is genuinely terrifying and I love it.

- Tue, 05 Mar 2019 08:35:50 EST CxvjOUYt No.57550
File: 1551792950052.jpg -(112303B / 109.67KB, 900x666) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Space is genuinely terrifying and I love it.
I was listening to an episode of "The last podcast on the left". They were talking about the WOW signal.
If you aren't familiar LPOTL is a bit like coast to coast AM but hosted by some guys who are actual skeptics and fun. So some of this may not be accurate but its fun to think about.

They were saying that if it was anything intelligent broadcasting that we only got a snippit of the message because at the time scans of the sky were limited to rotation of the earth (they used the number 72 seconds but i have a feeling that was an approximation), then later when the location of the signals point of origin was found it was a region of space with no stars or really any thing at all.

The hosts speculated also if it was intelligent due it being in that really empty place in space and then we never saw it there again, it's likely the sender were simply in transit some where and we picked up some distant comunicqae of a "passing ship i nthe night".

although its like 900% more likley to be random noise or a misinterpreted signal from earth/[%]
Thats so wonderful and creepy at the same time.
It gets my dick rock hard
>>
James Randi - Tue, 05 Mar 2019 08:40:41 EST CxvjOUYt No.57552 Reply
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_radio_burst

Also I find this on the same lines of the WOW Signal.
A weird all encompassing series of radio bursts going on all the time that we only just realized have always been there and mostly seem extra galactic in origin and even ocasionally re appear in the same place.

No bump
>>
Grote Reuber - Wed, 06 Mar 2019 19:22:10 EST 457vC2+I No.57554 Reply
The pic for the Fermi paradox thread OP really sums up the situation with SETI in general really well. We listen to limited bandwidths, in limited passes, for short durations, while probing an infinite void, and are surprised we find nothing. We really need a comprehensive, passive approach, but that would require new arrays no one wants to spend money on.

Think about what has happened in ordinary astronomy in the past few years thanks to a general switch to passively observing massive sections of the sky in an automated fashion, and then later combing through the data. It's how we've found out so much more detail about the bodies of the outer solar system, for example, and also been the source of a lot of the advancements in dark matter/energy theory thanks to massive galaxy surveys. We could/should apply the same approach to SETI (in the general sense, not just the organization); but the only people who would pay for SETI are governments and academia who can't afford it right now. If one could find a commercial application for the same tech that would power sky-wide multi-band radio arrays, that would be ideal.

The bigger problem is that the kind of civilizations we're looking for are unlikely to rely on radio communications. We're essentially hunting for a very narrow band of potential civilizations, those relatively near to us technologically. SETI in particular is really only primed to detect the kinds of signals the program sent out back in the 70s; high power targeted transmissions to a specific star. Until we come up with reasons to start beaming our own high energy signals to every star in range (which is a pretty depressingly small sphere when you consider our current civilizational power budget) we should not count the absence of finding the same as evidence of anything other than maybe aliens aren't as foolish/primitive as us in their thinking about how to get in touch with other ETs.
>>
Johann Bode - Sat, 16 Mar 2019 20:25:38 EST rNBxnMOH No.57572 Reply
>>57554
This, plus as I also like to keep reminding people that even if there were several earths right next to us, we still wouldn't be finding any evidence of intelligent life. Why? Because it took billions of years for Earth to finally give rise to an intelligent civilization that uses radio waves. This civilization has only spent about a century emitting these faint radio waves. So in other words, even if you started scanning the infinitismally small geological span of 10,000 years of human civilization, you'd still only get about a 0.01% chance of hearing anything but silence.

People just don't think in time scales either, and that's not even getting into the idea of using vastly different forms of technology. Certain people like to talk about how big the universe is as evidence for the statistical probability of advanced life, but without mentioning that for pretty much all of Earth's history there was no technology here and no truly sapient life that we're aware of.

Quite frankly I personally don't actually give a damn about finding intelligent alien life, and odds are that should we find it either it's going to be so damn primitive it isn't even using any technology or so far beyond us that we'd be helpless against it, and the greater probability is that if anything has a life pathway anywhere remotely near Earth's that we'd be better off bombing it into oblivion anyway before it has a chance to do it to us. I think the last thing we actually want to do is get their attention, and not like it'd even matter since people walking around today calling themselves "scientists" dispute that other life on earth even feels or experiences things. As an aside, I find it pretty funny when fedoras mention things like Islam or Christians or whatever triggering a war, when quite frankly secular materialist scientists have proven themselves too stupid to even recognize anything other than chimps as sentient life forms capable of experiencing things like pain and emotion. I don't trust these idiots with extraterrestrial life either.

Honestly the only thing I'm actually concerned about is finding alien ecosystems. This we have a far, far higher chance of doing and could even theoretically accomplish it in my life time, which is also something where SETI will accomplish precisely fuckall. Fact of the matter is, SETI in its current iteration is pretty much a complete waste of time and money.
>>
James Randi - Wed, 10 Apr 2019 06:00:28 EST //G04NrM No.57628 Reply
>>57572
Dude you should read enders game.
And maybe the first starship troopers book.
>>
Wilhelm Beer - Wed, 17 Apr 2019 00:33:49 EST YUAJt5eW No.57642 Reply
We should send a rickroll into space.
>>
Giovanni Cassini - Tue, 30 Apr 2019 10:06:37 EST 1UlEFMUV No.57662 Reply
>>57574
as if the meme rock wasn't enough. Not only will future generations after the next dark age see primitive human as a bunch of retards but now we officially sent our suicide note to the galaxy.
>>
Alan Guth - Tue, 07 May 2019 00:53:29 EST VXVyTSl5 No.57680 Reply
>>57550
might be drugs but I am pretty dang sure in the existence of alien life after seeing three circular pods bending spacetime. Lol drugs

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.