Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

First telescope

- Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:34:55 EST 6SPuxxpR No.55682
File: 1443144895835.jpg -(728331B / 711.26KB, 1920x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. First telescope
Hello, I'm looking for some advice for a first time telescope buyer. I was thinking about buying the Celestron 76mm Firstscope as its not to expensive and if I find that if astrology is not for me it's not really a big loss. Any advice or other telescopes would be great thanks.
>>
Allan Sandage - Sat, 26 Sep 2015 04:08:14 EST NCcXgNdu No.55686 Reply
Dobsonians are going to be the best bang per buck. The larger the aperture, the more light gathering capability it will have. Plan to spend several thousand dollars for astrophotography minus the SLR or CCD to take pictures with. The mount is almost more important than the scope here. A heavy GOTO mount (equatorial pref) with tracking capability is important for taking long exposures although you can take many shorter exposure images and stack them in Photoshop. Store bought refractors are generally garbage. If you really want to go that route Explore Scientific makes some nice refractors. Newtonians are a different story. My nephew's other pop bought him a store bought Celestron Astromaster, and although the mount could blow over like a leaf, the optics on the scope were pretty good. Dobsonians are Newtonians on a lazy Susan like bottom mount with two forks. You can get a large aperture here for comparatively very little cash. The only downside is that it doesn't really lock in place. Besides refractors and newtonians, there are catadioptric cassegrains. These are reflectors like the newtonian, but they are compact and expensive.

tldr: the AstroMaster 114EQ is $200 at opticsplanet.com
Eyepieces cost $50 dollars. Don't start off with a scope that costs the same as an eyepiece.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.