Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Planet Nine

- Wed, 20 Jan 2016 21:32:30 EST bnm9ITDo No.55945
File: 1453343550884.jpg -(29930B / 29.23KB, 700x394) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Planet Nine
Scientists have found evidence for a new, ninth planet in our solar system with a mass around ten times that of Earth. Get hype.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/01/20/463087037/hints-of-a-hidden-distant-planet-in-our-solar-system
>>
Tadashi Nakajima - Wed, 20 Jan 2016 22:14:58 EST s6y07R4Z No.55946 Reply
>>55945
Yeah, I just read about this, I couldn't fucking believe it.

They actually found Nibiru. Actually.

This shit is on mainstream science websites and the research was done at none other than Caltech.

Here's another source in case you think NPR lost it's mind as I'm sure I have lost my mind just by seeing this shit.
http://phys.org/news/2016-01-evidence-real-ninth-planet.html
>>
Galileo Galilei - Wed, 20 Jan 2016 22:50:03 EST 415JX8nG No.55951 Reply
This is awesome.
In order to create accurate simulations of our modern solar system, they have to stick a hypothetical massive 5th planet in between Neptune and Uranus.
In theory, Neptune should not have been able to form at its present location but it is also the architect of the kuiper belt, that's why Pluto isn't a planet, it, along with a plethora of other objects, are locked in orbiting the sun at perfect ratios with Neptunes orbit.

The history of our solar system goes as this:
Early in its history, before the proto planetary disk even dissipated, Planet 9 and proto-neptune almost ran into each other while Neptune was roughly half the size it is today. Neptune was pushed out to its current location, disturbing the early kuiper belt, locking some of the bodies into orbital resonance's, while sending a storm of water rich objects into the inner solar system, feeding Venus, earth, mars, and probably mercury with water.
Planet 9 was gravitationally launched an order of magnitude farther out from its forming place before it had fully developed, and as it settled into a stable orbit, it sent a flurry of comets and debris that we call the late-heavy bombardment into the inner solar system.

It is also the first 10x earth mass planet we will be able to study in real detail these types of planets are common in extra solar systems, but it's the first example of one in our home. It's the last "planet" we will find, any other planetary sized body will be a captured object from inter galactic space
>>
Gerard Kuiper - Thu, 21 Jan 2016 07:58:11 EST bye2cwFs No.55954 Reply
1453381091905.jpg -(45918B / 44.84KB, 480x584) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55951

Youre thoughts on this "planet 9" are a bit above my level. But none the less interesting. Casually researching the Kuiper Belt and Oort Cloud I knew other objects had to be out there.

>possibly a binary star or rogue planets

But I never thought they would find a non-gaseus planet 10 times the size of Earth out there. Now I feel validated in some way. Now for science to prove the asteroid belt is the remains of a planet that was shattered at some point during cosmic history.
>>
Maximilian Wolf - Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:06:28 EST pjhpxsvC No.55959 Reply
As I understand... isn't it just that math says there has to be a gravitational force there?

From a rogue planet, to a pile of Genuine Real Special Dark Matter® (if that mystery gravity came in piles) to I dunno some alien that decided to build a spaceship out of really really really really heavy metals.

Silly joke aside. It pretty much could be anything that causes that gravitational force right? Or am I understanding this wrong?
>>
Joseph-Louis Lagrange - Fri, 22 Jan 2016 23:52:49 EST bye2cwFs No.55961 Reply
1453524769082.jpg -(58908B / 57.53KB, 510x259) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55959
>I dunno some alien that decided to build a spaceship out of really really really really heavy metals.

Any alien contact we have is likely going to be bad, especially if they have any intelligence.
>>
Heinrich Olbers - Sat, 23 Jan 2016 10:19:17 EST s6y07R4Z No.55963 Reply
>>55954
>Youre thoughts
Bzzzt, instantly disqualified, invalid opinion, did not read.
>>
Joseph-Louis Lagrange - Sat, 23 Jan 2016 20:01:04 EST x7oDvr/y No.55965 Reply
This isn't some object that just showed up. It has been predicted as a 'fix' to problems with trying to model the orbits of the dwarf planets. This means that the object has been where it is for quite a while in order to stabilize those orbits.

It could be quite a few things but it's mass would preclude quite a few things based on our current understanding of how matter behaves at various masses. It could, however unlikely, be something exotic, we won't know unless we can observe it.
>>
Bruon Rossi - Sat, 23 Jan 2016 20:32:04 EST FePxHmcN No.55966 Reply
>>55965
>>55962

>As I understand... isn't it just that math says there has to be a gravitational force there?

Your question has been answered by the post above mine.
>>
Edward Pickering - Thu, 28 Jan 2016 21:15:16 EST 4Vj75uBT No.55978 Reply
>>55966
Aliens built the planets, public tv is bust, comic relief died, the universe is cold and unforgiving to those that don't worship the Anninaki sky gods
>>
Anders Angstrom - Sun, 31 Jan 2016 23:24:33 EST oigSnnJc No.55994 Reply
Its pretty neat in theory, but we can't fully accept it as fact until we have direct observation. Which will be incredibly hard. Think of it like this: whatever is out there is incredibly faint , even with a high albedo, due to its distance from the sun. Next, it will also be incredibly cold. If it is gaseous then its outer gas envelope will be downright frigid.

To find this object which is faint and cold, we will need very powerful infrared telescopes, which are unfortunately rather lacking right now. And also, based on the orbits of perturbed KBO's and sednoids, the object is likely at its aphelion of its orbit, meaning its at the point farthest away from the sun, making it more faint and difficult to detect.

Idk guys, people have theorized "planet nine" for quite awhile. I'll wait until they come out with a peer reviewed paper with 6σ correlations.
>>
William de Sitter - Wed, 03 Feb 2016 14:35:11 EST fDZ3h+Vd No.56010 Reply
>>55994
I've been wondering, is the Kepler powerful enough for this? If so we should find out in 2018.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.