Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Asteroid mining and post scarcity

- Mon, 04 Nov 2019 14:58:44 EST EZOyjhDZ No.57841
File: 1572897524783.jpg -(20518B / 20.04KB, 490x345) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Asteroid mining and post scarcity
Recently there have been increasing mainstream attention regarding space resource utilization.
Like for instance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGosZWBTF7A [Bloomberg]

It mainly focuses on "monetary" benefits and completely misses the point about the broader implications.
The most ignorant is how "in-situ resource utilisation" would work.

My main point is that the level of automation required to fully utilize 16 psyche for instance... (If you don't know about it look it up, in our terms it would make us a Kardashev 1+ civilization all on it's own.)
(Moving things like 16 psyche closer to earth would involve several magnitudes above our current energy budget)
They still seem to think that the civilization that would evolve based on self-replicating machines and space habitats would resemble anything close to western capitalism.

My main point is basically that 16psyche is going to be a choke point in regards to our path towards a space faring civilization. It has more accessible resources than anything else in the solar system and if history is any guide this will mean it will become independent of earth pretty quick.
>>
Mike Brown - Tue, 05 Nov 2019 21:41:38 EST vLrZZdiN No.57842 Reply
>>57841
we already live in a post scarcity society by 18th century standards. redistribute your computer to a third world as to not subject me to your dictatorship dipshittery masquerading as something more intellectually responsible.
>>
Caroline Herschel - Wed, 06 Nov 2019 12:34:56 EST EZOyjhDZ No.57844 Reply
>>57842
>we already live in a post scarcity society by 18th century standards.
Good riddance.
>redistribute your computer to a third world as to not subject me to your dictatorship dipshittery masquerading as something more intellectually responsible.
Maybe I don't want to have to rent my future computing resources from Elon or Jeff. I'd rather have control over my own Von Neumann Probe Swarm, thanks.

I'm not advocating any kind of economic system here.
Just want to point out that it's not even viable to move resources acquired from early asteroid mining to Earth's orbit. And it's pretty delusional to think the economic activity generated will "trickle down" to earth.
All I'm saying it will be like The Expanse, but in reverse... The "Beltas" will be calling the shots.
>>
Giovanni Cassini - Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:36:11 EST 7HuTlPCo No.57862 Reply
>>57844
>The "Beltas" will be calling the shots.
Nah, most of our society is built on the people who produce the value getting little of it. Until they can be independent on their rock they will be exploited. If we can do that then stuff like being accessible won't matter to the same degree and they will not have a monopoly on anything. They'll just be a backwater.

Same as mars really. If earth dies its entire existence will be dragging resources to it. It won't be a perfectly closed system so even if it doesn't grow it will need constant replenishment. Unless we get the magnetic field going and crash a few lumps of ice which is yet another "we can bypass this shit" situation.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.