Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Candy Rockets!

- Sun, 29 Mar 2020 00:56:38 EST n+7z5RVF No.58034
File: 1585457798883.jpg -(11322B / 11.06KB, 138x365) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Candy Rockets!
I just bought some KNO3 (stump remover) at the hardware store today and will be making my first attempt at DIY rockets in the very near future. I'll be starting with the standard 65/35 ratio and then working in other additives to fine tune. I'm using Spectricide brand KNO3 and cheap, grocery store table sugar purchased at Walmart. I'll be doing the cooking in a motel room that my employer rents for me when I travel, because if I blow myself up it'll be way more entertaining to do it in a motel. I plan on using heavy cardboard tubes (scrap material from work) for motor casings plugged on the ends with bentonite clay (kitty litter).

I'll post pics of my work as I go along assuming my IP doesn't get highjacked and give updates on mixes and results. If you are already doing this, chime in, post pics and rock(et) on!
>>
Wally Sandman - Fri, 01 May 2020 13:02:11 EST 1iIufWkr No.58059 Reply
I just read your entire post and still have no idea what your doing.
>>
William Lassell - Thu, 07 May 2020 20:25:17 EST EZOyjhDZ No.58061 Reply
Never built sugar rockets.
From what I know about it the risky part melting the sugar and oxidizer together.
You could inadvertently ignite the mixture.
If you go with the common hot plate & spatula method make sure your hotplate's thermostat is accurate, and check for hotspots.

Also this thread probably belongs to /stem/

If you want to do this right you'd use a method that removes you, the operator from the procedure.
Like for example build one hotplate with multiple heating elements that are controlled electronically so it is heated uniformly.
>>
Tadashi Nakajima - Sun, 17 May 2020 00:32:34 EST /GUFbL88 No.58068 Reply
I suppose this thread is less "spaec piccs" than most of /sagan, but c'mon, what's more space than motherloving rockets?

As for the heating being risky, yeah, it can be. Mostly the trick seems to be to use the lowest effective setting on the hotplate and bail if your mix starts to get too dark or smokes. I just watched a YouTube video that demonstrates using sorbitol, which has a much lower melting temp than sugar. Watching those videos is dangerous though because now I have the urge to use perchlorates which dials up the risk dramatically. Basics first though, I'm not even working with machined nozzles yet.

Also I just want to say, whatthe goddamn fucking hell is with the suddentotal lack of availability of coffee grinders in the various retail places ie: Walmart, Target, Kohl's etc? Is there some sort of grind-your-own revival going on? I'm still waiting for my eBay purchase to show up and my propellant mix thus far has been an embarrassing failure for lack of adequate pulverizing and blending.
>>
Antony Hewish - Tue, 09 Jun 2020 00:10:46 EST 9Ep9RYjQ No.58086 Reply
OP here. I've given up trying to get my dry mix right. I don't know what I'm doing wrong except maybe there's just too much humidity to get a good batch. I'll try dry mix layer in the year when it's warmer. For now I've decided to work on wet mix. I just made 100 grams (65KNO3/33sugar/2sulphur) wet mix method and cast two large-ish grains (3" long 3/4" PVC pipe) with a bit left over for an unconfined burn test. One of the shitty things about wet mix is that it's difficult to cast without getting voids or air pockets in the grain (ka-BOOM!) because the mix is really stiff at the end of the cook and it's hard to load into the casing. Having a well made casting jig and a press to load the casings would really help.

Some other issues are: My hot plate is not very good and is difficult to keep at the correct temperature (about 370°F). My ventilation is crap and the hot mix makes my eyes sting. I lack a proper ignition system and I'm closer than I want to be when I light up a grain.

Other news: I bought 5lbs of sorbitol to replace the sugar. Sorbitol has a bit less energy than sugar but it's supposed to be much easier to work with. I'm working on a remote ignition system. Also, shout out to ElementalMaker on YouTube. He's awesome.
>>
Vera Rubiin - Wed, 10 Jun 2020 22:53:39 EST wnBZ7ko+ No.58090 Reply
SUCCESS! Unconfined burn test went very well. Two gram piece of r-candy was completely consumed in about half a second. This is way better than my previous dry mix attempts which sputtered and burned 3/4 at best. I'm officially recommending the wet mix method. Now I need to whip up some igniters. Good thing my potassium permanganate arrived today!
>>
Antony Hewish - Thu, 11 Jun 2020 20:44:45 EST lgt2I6fP No.58091 Reply
>>58034
THATS FOR REMOVING TREE STUMPS i might have to call someone i'm a bitch and you might hurt somebody
>>
Joseph-Louis Lagrange - Sun, 14 Jun 2020 22:47:55 EST wnBZ7ko+ No.58093 Reply
Did a full test of two grains today, with mixed results. The first grain - the smaller of the two - went off as expected but since my casings had no nozzles and were made of PVC, it was pretty unspectacular. The second, larger grain only burned about halfway, which was disappointing. I even tried burning the remainder from the other end and it still wouldn't completely burn, so I fucked something up. My guess is residual water left over from the manufacturing process.

On the plus side, my fuses (potassium permanganate/sulfur/silicone) worked great. They're not nearly as flexible as the YouTube video claimed they'd be, but they burn nice and slow and steady. I'd like to make some electronic matches but I don't have any potassium perchlorate and that shit is crazy expensive to buy. I'm pretty sure I can make some but that's probably a month-long process between setting up the equipment and then doing the synthesis. I'm going to try with KNO3 first and see if it works but KNO3 might be too unstable and there's a chance I could blow myself up.

As for the next batch of r-candy, I have some sorbitol now so I'm going to try dry mix again, since sorbitol's melting point is much lower than it's ignition point. Plus, if the YouTube video is to be believed, it's much easier to cast into grains. This time I'll be including a plug and nozzle to help build pressure. And finally, I'm not really impressed with sulfur as a burn rate enhancer so I'm going to get some iron oxide and try that.
>>
George Airy - Thu, 02 Jul 2020 18:03:55 EST lgt2I6fP No.58101 Reply
>>58034
Why not buy some rocket fuel from the hobby store? Tragedy how everyone ruins a thing like civilian rocketry by being mediocre. We could have been so smart, me and you OP.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.