Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Harm Reduction Notes for the COVID-19 Pandemic

Considering grad school

- Sat, 29 Aug 2015 02:41:37 EST A/ZPVECK No.77050
File: 1440830497846.jpg -(211188B / 206.24KB, 1280x837) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Considering grad school
So I'm considering getting a master's in chem. I have always enjoyed chemistry, but I majored in liberal arts. That being said I recall a fair amount about it from taking AP chem in high school.

In any case, I'd mainly like to focus on materials science because I have some experience with machining and fabrication. I'm also thinking I'd end up in education, because I like teaching and that seems like a solid way to go in terms of job security and salary.

Really I'm just looking for advice here. I love chemistry, but I'm pretty damn rusty and I have no real college experience - AP chem in high school is generally a lot easier than an actual college course.

First steps? Things to consider when looking at programs? Any and all tips or advice would be appreciated.
>>
Martin Fockleforth - Sat, 29 Aug 2015 05:15:14 EST eL4WGdAH No.77053 Reply
>>77050
Chemistry is oversaturated. Unless you love love love love love chemistry and are happy being way underpaid and having a ton of competition, I would say get out. Study chemistry as a hobby and get a degree in something else.
>>
Charlotte Daffingfield - Sat, 29 Aug 2015 10:50:06 EST DIZp74tV No.77057 Reply
No chance you will get into a graduate chemistry program without a B.Sc. in chemistry or at least some other physical science, like math, physics, materials science.

First step would be to get an undergrad degree and then move on to grad school doing research in a specific field you like. As the other poster said, the chemistry job market is super overcrowded and competitive right now and it will probably only get worse in the future.

An undergrad chem degree will hardly get you a 25 K per year position anymore and you will be doing a lot of repetitive grunt work. Masters or PhD is the only way to go. If you like the physical sciences and want to be employable with just a 4 year degree then do engineering or comp. sci.
>>
Vehk !7HYGxe5v5c - Sat, 29 Aug 2015 20:12:07 EST coUcwVMo No.77071 Reply
1440893527342.png -(124166B / 121.26KB, 500x338) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>77057

> the chemistry job market is super overcrowded and competitive

Maybe in the US, m9.

8^)
>>
Priscilla Smallworth - Mon, 31 Aug 2015 14:31:54 EST yA2JaID0 No.77090 Reply
>>77071
How is the job market for US citizens in places like Asia or India or anywhere you happen to know of?

Basically, if I were to get a chemistry or biochemistry or another degree along those lines, who would hire me abroad?
>>
Vehk !7HYGxe5v5c - Mon, 31 Aug 2015 14:51:54 EST 9sH3Ao2e No.77091 Reply
>>77090

I'm an undergrad Biochem student in southern Ireland. We have two main pharmaceutical hubs here, one in Dublin and one in Cork. The pay is slightly higher in general in Cork. Employment is plentiful as there are many different companies and they are frequently hiring (in fact, something like 20% of the lab technicians at a Pfizer lab I interned at didn't even have a B,sc. Although most of these people are dinosaurs who started working before hiring was standardized).

As a lab technician, you are looking at 30 - 35k starting, which is 40k dollars. If you manage to get a full QC position (helpful if you have your degree in or are spec'd in analytical chemistry) you could see that pushing 40k euro, though the work is quite banal and repetitive. Other facilities do biotech rather than organic synthesis and these would be a bit more stimulating. These places are harder to get hired in though, it's the Pharm-Org-Analytical jobs that are plentiful. If you are good there is also plenty of room for upward mobility in QC/QA labs.

By the way, why are you getting a master's instead of a Ph,D? Most research fellowships (these often pay quite nicely) require Ph,D minimum, and it's also what you need to get a job in basic research in industry.

As I was saying, the market is very comfy here, but work experience is kind of important - most of our colleges here do placements to pad CVs. If you want to work/live in Ireland, it is possible to get dual-citizenship if you have Irish ancestry and are an American citizen.

Personally I am doing this course as a pre-med to become eligible for graduate entry to Medicine, but it is very reassuring to know I can always fall back to industry if my aspirations in Medicine or Research don't work out.
>>
Edward Pecklewill - Tue, 01 Sep 2015 22:26:08 EST uGD5aNS6 No.77102 Reply
>>77091
>If you want to work/live in Ireland, it is possible to get dual-citizenship if you have Irish ancestry and are an American citizen.
Huh. Do you know anything about Ireland's biomedical research? I wanted to do a post doc abroad, was considering centeral Europe/Germany if I can find a position. Never really considered Ireland, even though by ancestery I am primarily Irish.
>>
David Honeybury - Tue, 08 Sep 2015 18:40:45 EST dkMoIz4p No.77130 Reply
1441752045600.jpg -(51297B / 50.09KB, 664x458) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>77050
I mean you could take some more classes. College chemistry is nothing like high school though. Basically you've taken at most two semesters of college chemistry. You'll basically have another degree.
I think to be a high school/ junior high teacher you could get by with maybe about gen chem (2) + o chem (2) + p chem (1-2) + inorganic + quantitative analysis + math + physics (2). This is only the minimum possible requirements of course (I'm sure most colleges will require much more). So, not to dissuade you but, there would be quite a few classes that you would need to take first even for a bachelors degree. On the plus side, you'll have all of you're generally classes covered.

As far as master programs go, you're adviser will end up mattering a lot more than the college will. Choosing a good adviser who is well known in the field and is easy to get along is what you're looking for.

Anyway, worth pointing out that chemical engineers have good job prospects and will probably end up taking quite a few of the same courses.
>>
A Wizard - Wed, 09 Sep 2015 01:41:46 EST eg2eHljf No.77133 Reply
>>77130

What? That's not how you pick your master. You find a complete asshole who knows his shit and hates his students, and you make that motherfucker laugh every damned moment you get the chance, except the times he's trying to focus.

The reward is that he teaches you, at the expense of the annoying dipshits you compete with. He'll probably even show you things he shouldn't too, just in hopes you use it.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.