Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Chem Career

- Mon, 21 Nov 2016 20:49:40 EST BYwX2ie4 No.78355
File: 1479779380113.gif -(4391142B / 4.19MB, 480x304) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Chem Career
Guys,

Chem BS here. I formulate construction products. Pretty damn good at it. But I believe I've reached my salary cap and I'm only 3 years in.

I want to switch fields to make some real money and not just the bread crumbs I currently get in exchange for my research and ideas, but don't know what to branch into. The only things that make sense to me is:

Chemical Engineering
Biomedical Engineering
Pharmacy
Medicine

or just saying fuck all and doing

Finance

What you think?

I like chemistry but fuck the industry that reaps the rewards of great minds while giving back a pittance for reward.
>>
Cyril Chittingbare - Tue, 22 Nov 2016 22:23:50 EST Q2W2CR89 No.78361 Reply
What do you mean by salary cap? As in an approximate dollar figure. I'm a biochem undergrad student so just curious. Personally if I wasnt going for just a BS in biochem then I might look at chemical or biomedical engineering.
>>
Sophie Blobblewell - Wed, 23 Nov 2016 00:35:59 EST BYwX2ie4 No.78362 Reply
Right now I'm capped at 51k base pay. Normally I would be fine with this, but I went through alot of effort to get this fucking degree and our salesmen will pull more cash than this easily.

I redesigned one of their product lines pulling their profitability from break even to well into the double digits. And although I get little perks and bonuses for my work, ultimately they will not pay more than this because apparently I am at market value for the average person with my credentials; of course this does not take into account how others with the same credentials may not have the same skill level as me, nor does it take into account the amount of training it would take for someone of the same credentials to learn my trade.

All this being said, I didn't put all this effort into my career to have the payoff be limited by the average market value of others. So the only logical option is to change my market to a market of higher value individuals; of course it's a balance between value and demand.

At one point chemistry in the United States was a high paying field with job security. Now with the modernization of India, China, and Eastern Europe, you'll find that most of those US jobs are being outsourced overseas. This has drained the job pool and the overall capital to be had in the field.

So now I find myself with a high effort investment yet low return degree having to redefine my career to break through the cap that I've already reached 3 years in.

Going further into chemistry is just digging a deeper hole. Yes I might get lucky, so do lotto winners. I'd prefer not to invest further into a dying field. So the only other answer is to pivot.

I'm leaning towards chemical engineering. Biomedical engineering is projected to have high job growth in the future, but the job market for them is so small that any growth may be negligible on a large scale.

Anyways, I did biochem too. You've been warned.
>>
press - Fri, 25 Nov 2016 11:27:39 EST mC94hEP7 No.78369 Reply
1480091259643.jpg -(83816B / 81.85KB, 300x488) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>78362
you do realise that employers also take notice of past work experiences and normally ask you about them should you apply for a job?

and im quite suprised nobody fucking told you that chemistry requires a phd or atleast a master to get into the dough.

the globalization hasnt drained the market, it merely reduced the amount of lower education jobs needed within industrial nations. and frankly you either join the race or get left behind, fucker. in my country a person that merely has a bsc in chemistry is about as qualified as somebody who passed an apprenticeship as a lab technician and rightfully so. the lab technician normally knows a lot more about how to do shit properly eventhough he may not have as much of a theoretical

i had no idea that "pure" chemistry what ever the fuck that is, was a dying field

i wouldnt go for biomedical engineering , but to be perfectly frank i dont love my current main job in chemical engineering but the pay is good and i get to divert chemicals and electronics.
i dont mean to call you a cunt, but your post sounds very fucking entitled considering you only have a bsc
you might appreciate chemical engineering, most of my pals back inna days were mostly focused on the money and didnt give a shit about the passion of building shit. since money is all you seem to give to craps about. LOL considering redirecting into finance. LOL

if youre such a competent chemist why havent you tried to let other employers know youll raise their profits by 2 digits?
>>
Ian Grimford - Sat, 26 Nov 2016 18:37:30 EST SGvEm69U No.78371 Reply
>>78369

Cool man, thanks for the sweet contributions. I'm blown away by your insight.

Just so you're aware, here in my country, people with masters degrees in chemistry are getting paid within the same ball park I am now. Competition is stiff whether or not you have a PhD, and right now the market is saturated with hard STEM degrees, especially with pharmacy moving overseas.

And just so you're aware, just because you have a higher degree over a bachelors doesn't mean you know what the fuck you're doing. You can flaunt it to your family to show them how proud they should be, but in the industry it doesn't mean shit unless you back it up with results.

But thanks for the condescension, I can tell you've got this figured all out so its good to hear an expert opinion on science and industry.

As for me and my lab technicians degree, I'm gonna apply around to the top 50 largest chemical companies and then go back to school if nothing worth while comes back to me.

But hey, thanks again for the bullshit post. Why don't you follow up with some more nuggets of wisdom?
>>
Vehk !7HYGxe5v5c - Mon, 28 Nov 2016 20:49:00 EST l5Akm3J6 No.78374 Reply
1480384140287.jpg -(22846B / 22.31KB, 552x414) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>78371

Some day when it's too late, you'll realise you went into engineering not because of a vocation, but because you were too scared to make a bet on yourself and see it through to it's conclusion, and that's probably the saddest thing you can say about any professional.
>>
Lydia Fuckingville - Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:53:49 EST PNRYzcXF No.78376 Reply
>>78374

I've been thinking about what you said alot the past few days. I just wanted to thank you for saying it.
>>
Bombastus !uYErosQbLM!!Mybq1UbK - Fri, 02 Dec 2016 23:39:08 EST W9B8hqfv No.78377 Reply
>>78376
Damn. That just hits you with a truth bomb, dunnit?

All the engineering people I know are blank slates with limited personalities and just have a vocation to emptiness. The ones who do not end up doing research in the science fields or go on to get other degrees. The world needs these people like they need construction workers. But I'd much rather hang out with the average construction worker than the average engineering major.
There's just something unwholesome about the people in the degree...

Is that a similar conclusion, fuckingville?
>>
Charles Cloffingdud - Tue, 06 Dec 2016 20:07:31 EST SGvEm69U No.78383 Reply
>>78377

Sure seems that way.

The path gets pretty confusing.

I just need to figure some shit out.
>>
Bombastus !uYErosQbLM!!Mybq1UbK - Sat, 10 Dec 2016 17:06:27 EST 01P1ms0Q No.78391 Reply
>>78383
How have you been mulling about this, SGvEm69U?
Have you figured some stuff out or where do you stand with this? It's the current time to tell the high schoolies and first years where to direct their vocations and if even one's life is changed or helped by your experience and thoughts, I will have considered this thread an epic success.
>>
Charlotte Doblingshit - Tue, 13 Dec 2016 21:12:19 EST SGvEm69U No.78401 Reply
>>78391

Well I was ready to reject chemistry outright, especially after Captain ChemE-Cunt showed up. But I dunno. You forced me to confront a truth about my path in life. I don't believe I'm any sort of gift to chemistry; there's no nobel prize in my future and I'm no genius. But I know I'm more than this.

It's a bit painful to see my creativity used for something as frivolous as the structural integrity of concrete surfaces. It's even more painful to see that frivolous innovation generate millions of dollars for someone else while I see the equivalent of bread crumbs for my efforts. I understand that there's sales, marketing, processing, and manufacture to consider as well, but it's my formula and my customized process that allowed the rewards to be reaped in the first place. Hell, I basically optimized their entire manufacturing process for these products; wrote all the batch tickets for them, all the pds sheets, all the sds sheets, I mean that product line is my fucking brain child. And oh yes, I feel the appreciation. I get so many pats on the back I have bruises. But monetary compensation? Ohh no, I'm at market value. Someone with A MASTERS (OMG) will accept my wages, and so I am pretty much at my peak value.

What a fucking joke.

They don't take into consideration that someone with a masters in chemistry may not have the talent to formulate their products. And even if they do, it would take years to even get to the understanding I have now. I'm confident that anyone with a higher level of insight into my field would request more than what they can offer me.

I guess all my woes may just stem from a shitty company; I got the job before I even graduated with my Bachelor's at a construction chemicals manufacturer and revamped a failing product line within 2 years. The knowledge I learned was from my own diligence and study. No one taught me anything about the science behind the products because there was no one there who understood the chemistry.

We took market leadership with first baby; it's quadrupled in sales volume since my revisions. After a few research successes, they divided my other duties among 2 other people and gave me a full time research position. And you know, creating shit is great, especially shit that people need and will use. I love that people need what I design and will choose it over other products in the market. I guess I just feel like I'm just trading my ideas away.. a part of me away, in exchange for a meager allowance. I know the financial impact of my designs because I design my products around their financial impact.

Basically I'm just disappointed in my experience with the chemical industry. And I understand that this small company may not be representative of the industry. I hope it's not.

So as to your earlier question Bombastus, I don't know where I stand in regards to chemistry. You've prolonged an interest in building upon my skillset, at least until I find a way to build on it to a personally and financially fulfilling pathway. But I don't see a chemistry PhD in my future. I'd need some pretty fucking fantastic inspiration for that.

For all you undergrads and highschoolers, I only have this to say:

I don't know what I'm doing.
>>
Charlotte Doblingshit - Tue, 13 Dec 2016 21:19:35 EST SGvEm69U No.78402 Reply
>>78401

I apologize, that was Vehk who dropped the troof bomb.

Credit to you sir.
>>
Thomas Babberstetch - Sat, 17 Dec 2016 05:09:31 EST ynqcZ6AY No.78405 Reply
Ayy fam you gotta chill out. You're not making enough money? That's not a problem with chemistry, that's a problem with the company you're working for. You gotta shop around. You're talking all about how you improved their product line, that's some resume shit. Maybe your next step is staying with chemistry, maybe it isn't. But don't take one bad job as indicative of the field.

I'm a chemical engineer working in drug design. I make artificial peptides to target protein interactions. I really enjoy it, and it pays well. Just gotta find something that works for you.
>>
Cornelius Buzzlock - Sun, 14 Jul 2019 01:13:44 EST e/tiK1BA No.79500 Reply
>>78355

We have kinda been doing this to ourselves in commercial/industrial chemistry. The BSc. In chem has become very "cheap", oversupply of people with really poor skills due to falling academic standards in US university.

I would love to see ACS or the RSC come out with a formal licensure or certification for professional chemists in different specialities.

I manage BSc. chem and bio graduates that can't tell me why phenol is more acidic than methanol or do basic solution prep and analytical calculations.

For those with BSc. specialized experience becomes very important, but you will always be salary caped under 100k. Likely that you wont break 50k untill 5 yrs experience.

MSc. and PhD. people will get better starting salaries and can leverage themselves into higher positions with less professional experience.

Im an MSc. working in a very specialized industrial area and I make twice the salary of a PhD. academic. Get a side hustle consulting in your area of expertise or tutoring for standardized test prep (MCAT, GRE, pharmacy, dental)

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.