Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich


Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Denatured alcohol

Reply
- Mon, 26 Dec 2016 15:26:13 EST H7AhQjrZ No.78423
File: 1482783973025.png -(231824B / 226.39KB, 331x522) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Denatured alcohol
I have this product (see image), and I evaporated a few drops on a clean mirror and it left a noticeable residue.

In the SDS (https://www.korellis.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Alcohol-Denatured.pdf) it only lists methanol and ethanol as components, so what is the residue left behind, and how harmful would it be to consume?
>>
Ebenezer Furrymet - Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:21:59 EST RKOZdJ0v No.78424 Reply
>>78423
i actually have a quart of klean strip acetone with the exact same question!

(i bought it a trillion years ago for cleaning thermal paste and shit, long before i ever realized i might be able to use it to clean things up for consumption)
i feel like at some point i read something that told me don't trust it, so i never have
>>
David Noblingchene - Wed, 28 Dec 2016 19:49:12 EST Fe+cUsBQ No.78425 Reply
>it only lists methanol and ethanol as components, so what is the residue left behind
If it's really just ethanol and methanol, there shouldn't be any residue. My first guess would be that the mirror and/or your equipment aren't really clean or there's something else going on. Repeat the experiment a few times.

>and how harmful would it be to consume?
Consume straight up? Pretty fucking harmful. Swallow a small amount of residue from a store-bought solvent? Probably not harmful at all. Smoke it? I wouldn't.
>>
pess - Thu, 29 Dec 2016 13:25:53 EST Q0R61EpA No.78427 Reply
i doubt anybody will be able to tell you the exact composition of that sludge
my guess would be that the only way to really get rid of that crud would be to distill your solvent. maybe even activated charcoal could suck up some of it

but for what are you going to use it anyways?
>>
Nell Fubblespear - Thu, 29 Dec 2016 18:56:42 EST ynqcZ6AY No.78429 Reply
>>78423
There's all sorts of shit in there as a result of the industrial processes used to produce it. Since it's not produced for human consumption, they don't need to spend the money to ensure their product is free of impurities or even find out what those impurities are in the first place.

Drinking it would be very bad even without the residue stuff, methanol fucks you up.

Never drink industrial products that produced for human consumption. Even if it's a substance that should be potable, it will not have been produced in a way that ensures it is potable.
>>
Phoebe Sirrydock - Mon, 02 Jan 2017 17:58:01 EST 6+KMGshk No.78434 Reply
>>78423
very, there is typically benzene in these products (generally not listed). Benzene is incredibly cancerous. Go save up your allowance and buy some actual booze.
>>
Shitting Mimmlefirk - Thu, 05 Jan 2017 12:57:20 EST kquaKHd6 No.78445 Reply
Looking @ page 3, subsection 3 of that msds:

Ethanol concentration is 30-50%
Methanol concentrate is 40-60%

So, the ethanol/methanol mixture will make up between 110% and 70% of what's in that can. The other 30%? Prolly shit from wood when they made this 'wood alcohol'
>>
Shitting Mimmlefirk - Thu, 05 Jan 2017 13:07:13 EST kquaKHd6 No.78446 Reply
Honestly, it's probably exactly the sort of thing that you don't want to go into your body. As in, Exactly. Polyaromatic hydrocarbons, heavy metals, sulfur and nitrogen compounds. Everything that's bad except for biologically derived venoms.
>>
Martha Nicklewill - Thu, 12 Jan 2017 23:07:52 EST DZQn4yU5 No.78466 Reply
>>78446
They do this on purpose to make money from alcohol tax.

Pretty sure it's not listed on the MSDS and it distills over at similair temps.

Report Post
Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.