Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Thin Layer Chromatography

- Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:24:25 EST hzoMepax No.78695
File: 1497889465751.png -(861058B / 840.88KB, 726x728) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Thin  Layer Chromatography
gonna make some TLC plates using some glass microscope slides, wondering what the best paper to use for cellulose is? i was thinking using a thin tissue or something but it's incredibly soft and porous which makes me think that i might not get very clearly defined results. any suggestions?
>>
Bombastus !uYErosQbLM!!Mybq1UbK - Mon, 19 Jun 2017 13:27:06 EST /YEP+Iv0 No.78696 Reply
>>78695
Aw. This is going to be a cute little thread that doesn't have to do with drug manufacturing for once (unless it is but it'll still be cute).

What are you running TLCs on? I'm imaging a leaf from your backyard so you can see the various plant dies separate themselves out of isopropanol?

A home TLC just requires a type of rigid, white cardboard. Something that is really dense. I mean, theoretically, you could cut printer paper into that format (especially the really thick, high quality printer paper you can buy for 50% more expensive). There is specific TLC papers but I don't think it's worth the money
>>
Ebenezer Brookridge - Tue, 11 Jul 2017 12:54:10 EST ufRuh+sC No.78735 Reply
>>78695

Would Acetone suffice in place of IPA?

Also, obviously(?) whatever you're testing would require the right kind of solvent to avoid destruction of the sample - anyone care to elaborate on this?

Very interested in TLC (and making a ghetto HPLC setup) myself
>>
Cedric Dreffinghall - Tue, 11 Jul 2017 13:40:54 EST 4tmtdVyg No.78736 Reply
>>78735

Acetone can be used in tlc, but for best results, you may want to combine the acetone with chloroform at various concentrations. Acetone would behave as the polar component of your eluent while chloroform would behave as the non-polar component of your eluent.

Try 100/0 75/25 50/50 25/75 0/100

Should get a variety of results for your purposes.
>>
Cedric Dreffinghall - Tue, 11 Jul 2017 13:49:20 EST 4tmtdVyg No.78737 Reply
>>78735

As far as destruction of the sample, when you choose a solvent for solvating the material, it must do two things:

Dissolve the sample
Be inert to the sample

As an example, sulfuric acid will probably dissolve your sample, but will typically make a poor solvent due to the likelyhood of it protonating the shit out of your sample. A solvent like octane will make a good solvent for non-polar materials because it is straight chain hydrocarbons which are non-reactive under standard conditions. Same concept with acetone, except for polar samples.

Both octane and acetone can become reactive with the right materials under the right conditions, and that's why you need to know what your sample reacts with so you can choose a solvent that will both dissolve the sample and be inert to it.
>>
Bombastus Werrywag - Tue, 11 Jul 2017 17:45:21 EST QGxEeR56 No.78745 Reply
>>78737
You can use pure water if paper is your stationary phase.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.