Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Fuckin Minerals

- Tue, 07 Aug 2018 01:29:22 EST dl9lAnzN No.79190
File: 1533619762885.jpg -(386783B / 377.72KB, 955x861) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Fuckin Minerals
Need some help guys. So for ???? reasons I'm making a program that models geological systems and mineral formation. Does anyone know of a good source of information on the crustal prevalence of various minerals? I obviously can't simulate every mineral known to science, but I want to get an appropriate swath.

Much appreshes.
>>
trypto - Tue, 07 Aug 2018 10:14:59 EST OdR7meD+ No.79193 Reply
I don't know much about geology or minerals, but this is how I'd find out the answer to your problem.

Go to https://scholar.google.com and start searching for papers. "review" would be a good term to include, because it will combine info from many different papers. You're probably looking for a table of some kind. When you find a paper with a promising abstract, go to sci-hub https://sci-hub.tw/ . Copy and paste the DOI number into sci-hub, and you'll get the paper. If sci-hub isn't working, try library genesis http://libgen.io/#

Alternatively, try to find out what's a good geology reference textbook via google. Then use http://libgen.io/# to download the PDF.

Another possible source is the USGS. All their info is free, but you might need to have GIS knowledge. Try googling the search terms you need, along with:
>site:usgs.gov
Or even just:
>site:.gov
On that note, uni sites are also generally more useful
>site:.edu

Lastly, you could google for professors that would know this, and simply email them asking for a reference. Obviously they won't do free work for you, but if they know where to find the info off the top of their head, they'll probably respond. Or tell you who to ask. It's kind of a secret that there's a shitload of experts out there who are actually very accessible.

I hope this doesn't come across as "Just google it", because it's not. This is how to find solid, scholarly sources in 2018. It's a skill, and can take some time.
>>
Martin Bardhood - Wed, 08 Aug 2018 16:37:26 EST dl9lAnzN No.79194 Reply
Thanks man. I'm familiar with how to find research on line, I've been looking through scholarly articles, but I haven't found any meta-analysis which puts a total estimate on all minerals, just maybe some subspecies of minerals. There are over 5000 known mineral species, so doing it this way is impractical (and most of it would be useless work, since many mineral species are so rare there's no point in modeling them.)

Anyway, by combing through various articles I was able to come up with a rough estimate of the various classes, enough for my purposes anyway. Did you guys know just how much of this planet is made of Silicon Dioxide? A fuckin lot, I'll tell you that. Also, almost all varieties of minerals are largely similar, but the slightest chemical difference is responsible for their widely different physical properties. Really makes you respect the power of the atom and the enthusiasm of geologists.
>>
Phineas Millershit - Wed, 08 Aug 2018 22:55:19 EST OdR7meD+ No.79196 Reply
>>79194
Oh, word. have you tried the USGS though? I think they've got a bunch of GIS files that might have something useful. Of course, you'd need to know how to use GIS software to get numerical results.

I'm not really sure what kind of info you're looking for. You just want to know the total % of minerals, but not the geographical distribution?

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/
https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/
>>
trypto - Wed, 08 Aug 2018 23:01:18 EST OdR7meD+ No.79197 Reply
>>79196
>You just want to know the total % of minerals, but not the geographical distribution?

And if this is the case, I bet that you can do it with USGS data. You just need a few hours to learn QGIS or some other software, download the right map, then run the analysis (which should be a simple "Add all A regions for total A, Add all B regions for total B, etc.). And of course, you'd need to look into the methodology used to create the maps, to make sure you're not making erroneous assumptions.

It sounds time consuming as fuck, actually, Good luck.
>>
trypto - Wed, 08 Aug 2018 23:07:51 EST OdR7meD+ No.79198 Reply
>>79197
Actually, browsing through those maps... It seems the USGS is mainly interested in economically important minerals. LOL. Of course. Doubtful it would help.
>>
trypto - Wed, 08 Aug 2018 23:18:00 EST OdR7meD+ No.79200 Reply
>>79199
NVM. It's still very general, and not really saying what the minerals are. But when you google for "minerals" you pretty much only get exploitable minerals.

I'll stop posting now.
>>
Edward Cittingway - Thu, 09 Aug 2018 20:16:21 EST dl9lAnzN No.79201 Reply
>>79199
Wow that's a fuckin cool link you found. Unless there's the same data somewhere in table form it's not very useful to me, but I'll probably be dicking around with it anyway, very interesting stuff.

>> You just want to know the total % of minerals, but not the geographical distribution?
Yes, then once I have percentages enough to single out the most significant minerals and soil types (scientifically significant, rather than economically) I will very crudely model what conditions cause the transformations between the different types (elemental composition, heat, pressure, water content, etc.) in order to spit out a world map that is geophysically earth-like but not the actual world If you must know, it's a map generator for a game

>>you pretty much only get exploitable minerals
Yeah that was my frustration which is why I came here in the first place. All lists are either popular/business ones that only list exploitables, or really minor geological papers that go into great minutae about some mineral that only exists in this one crater in BFE. But just by gumshoeing through that I was able to come up with a reasonable middle between the two. 'Rock-forming minerals' was the keyword that seemed to work best for me.

Anywho, thanks for the help guys. I guess we can keep talking about minerals because they are pretty rad, otherwise I will necrobump this thread if it hasn't fallen off by the time my generator is working and show you guys.
>>
Alice Bommlegold - Fri, 10 Aug 2018 09:27:27 EST 28EjEn0d No.79202 Reply
>>79201
I don't know if you are familiar with Dwarf Fortress, but the guy who programmed it knows a lot about geology and has already done the same thing you are trying to do. Maybe if you ask him he will show you where to look or maybe even help you.
>>
Edward Cittingway - Fri, 10 Aug 2018 14:52:56 EST dl9lAnzN No.79203 Reply
1533927176929.gif -(237606B / 232.04KB, 640x622) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>79202
Ah thanks but no, those guys are notoriously tight lipped and the complexity of Dwarf Fortress is far beyond the pale of what is necessary or would even be functional for my purposes. Besides, at this point Dwarf Fortress is well studied within the gamedev community and it's easy to get references about how it works without having to bother those two guys.

Definitely though what I am working on has some broad similarities in terms of making a world simulation that leans on emergent properties, but I'm basing it on real world science and chemistry rather than fantasy. Instead of 'mine 5 generic shits and 5 dire poops to craft 1 epic turd' it will be 'collect 75 kg water, 25 kg bacteria, 5 kg protein and 20 kg sugar to make 100 kg of epic turd'

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.